Ah Commencement! And the Political Speech

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://powerlineblog.com/archives/010478.php

The pause that enrages

The Columbia Spectator has stopped publishing until next fall, so we are unable to verify or supplement the report of reader Wes Martin, Columbia MBA 2005. Martin wrote us late last night:

At yesterday's recognition ceremony for newly minted Columbia Business School MBAs, we had the CFO of PepsiCo as our distinguished guest speaker. After beginning her speech with words of praise and recognition for the graduates and their families, Ms. Indra Nooyi began to make the political statement du jour. After talking of her childhood back in India, Ms. Nooyi began to compare the world and its five major continents (excl. Antarctica and Australia) to the human hand. First was Africa - the pinky finger - small and somewhat insignificant but when hurt, the entire hand hurt with it. Next was Asia - the thumb - strong and powerful, yearning to become a bigger player on the world stage. Third was Europe - the index finger - pointing the way. Fourth was South America - the ring finger - the finger which symbolizes love and sensualness. Finally, the US (not Canada mind you) - yes, you guessed it - the middle finger. She then launched into a diatribe about how the US is seen as the middle finger to the rest of the world. The rest of the world sees us as an overbearing, insensitive and disrespectful nation that gives the middle finger to the rest of the world. According to Ms. Noori, we cause the other finger nations to cower under our presence. But it is our responsibility, she continues, to change the current state of world opinion of the US. It is our responsibility to make the other fingers rise in unison with us as we move forward. She then goes on to give a personal anecdote about some disrespectful US business women in an Asian country and how that is typical of Americans overseas. No talk of what the US has done for the world throughout its history. No discussion about the ills that have been cured and the rights that have been wronged by the US. Just how wrong we are for the way we are perceived and how right they are in their own perceptions of the United States.

Now to say that I expected something different from such a liberal institution would be a stretch, but a guy can dream, can't he? Stay tuned...the former President Bill Clinton is rumored to be speaking at commencement on Wednesday...

Talking about the middle finger at a commencement speech...now that is something the graduates really needed to hear. :rolleyes:

Did any of the graduates get up and leave?

I remember when I was in the Philippines years ago, President Marcos' daughter spoke at hour NCO club for Philippine-American day.

She proceeded to tell everyone how the US came in to the Philippines and bullied the government into allowing out bases there - how their life is threatened because of our presence, etc.

Half the people left during her speech.

The Philippine government issued an apology the next day. Something about an apparent negative reaction to some medication she was taking.

Yeah.....right.

I had to listen to Kay Bailey Hutchinson at my daughters commencement. It almost kept me from going. Lucky me, I got to hear her spout her resume of all that she's done for texas universities as she gets ready to campaign for governer. :blah2:

krisy said:
Talking about the middle finger at a commencement speech...now that is something the graduates really needed to hear. :rolleyes:

A bit of follow-up:

This is the end of a long post, the whole thing is worth reading, for links and for analysis:

http://www.donaldsensing.com/?p=213

Rhetorically, Nooyi’s speech was a mess. More than that, it was insulting to the graduates. She talked down to them and sought to impart a sense of shame where they had done no wrong.

In the hours since I read Ms. Nooyi’s statement today claiming her “remarks at Columbia University were misconstrued and depicted in a different context as unpatriotic,” I have been trying to give her benefit of the doubt. Yet with each reading of her speech, her words rankle all the more. Those of us who have spent years overseas in national service will never claim sainthood, but we haven’t been giving the world the finger, either.

I wish Ms. Nooyi could meet this Air Force aeromedical evacuation flight nurse who wrote:

In the past when I have said or have heard other people say, “God bless America”, to me America was a place I cansidered home. God bless America meant, God bless the place that I live and the military that protects me and the government that makes me free. As of yesterday, that has changed for me.

My unit has picked up NATO soldiers at hospitals here in Kosovo that in the states we would consider condemned. Hospitals where there are no pillows, blankets, or sheets and wires are hanging from the ceiling and there are holes in the floors. When we arrive the NATO soldiers always look up at us with gratitude in their eyes and say thank God please get me out of here. Yesterday I did a Med Cap in town. I was giving out medications to over 200 people and being very buisy when one old woman grabbed my arm demanding my attention and stoping me from working. She held my hand with one of hers and with her other hand she patted my cheek. For a moment in my own self righteousness I shuddered from her touch. All I could think about was the filth and the stench of the woman and what she could be transmitting to me by touching me. But then she began saying something in Albanian over and over again. I turned to ask my interpreter what she was saying and he told me that she was saying, “God bless America, God bless America, that’s all I can say is God bless America.”

I was too busy to think about it just then but last night I couldn’t sleep and I couldn’t stop thinking about it. I realize now that with that old womans touch the only thing she gave to me was a gift I will never forget. She let me know that when I think that America (home) is thousands of miles away, to her it is right here, in me. I AM AMERICA! To the rest of the world it is not a place. In their time of need, it is the representation of what we believe. We are one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for ALL! So now when I have a moment of homesickness wondering why I am here and why the US doesn’t let us come home and stop worrying about the rest of the world. I will remember that old woman. She gave me a sense of purpose and taught me a wonderful lesson… .

If I didn’t share this story with all of you I just wouldn’t have felt right. I made a deep impact on me. Please pray for all of those people who are deployed and also pray for the people in those countries who’s lives have been destroyed by war. We are all God’s people.

I really don’t think that Ms. Nooyi is as wordly wise as she tries to impress. Let us hope that before her next commencement speech she gets out more.

She and others like her would never dream of moving away from the nation that has made them so rich and powerful based on a system which they feel is attrocious and should be dismantled (for everyone else but them). Wealth should be redistributed (as long as too much isn't taken from her). All people should have free access to healthcare (as long as she and her children can see a doctor the moment they want to).

And most importantly: Nations around the world shouldn't have to deal with America's disgusting consumerism and imperialistic tendencies (just so long as she can still sell them all a PEPSI).

LOL Look what is now on Pepsico site:

http://www.pepsico.com/

A message from PepsiCo's President & CFO, Indra Nooyi

Following my remarks to the graduating class of Columbia University’s Business School in New York City, I have come to realize that my words and examples about America unintentionally depicted our country negatively and hurt people.

I appreciate the honest comments that have been shared with me since then, and am deeply sorry for offending anyone. I love America unshakably – without hesitation – and am extremely grateful for the opportunities and support our great nation has always provided me.

Over the years I’ve witnessed and advised others how a thoughtless gesture or comment can hurt good, caring people. Regrettably, I’ve proven my own point. Please accept my sincere apologies.

Kathianne said:
LOL Look what is now on Pepsico site:

http://www.pepsico.com/

Ms Nooyi, you are a CFO of a major corporation.

You, along with so many people think you can insult and trash the United States and then apologize; thinking that it will all be O.K and you will be forgiven.

Don't insult my intelligence by expecting me to believe your speech was an "unintential" oops.

You slapped the United States of America across the face.

Your apology is not accepted. By your own admission, you know what "thoughtless comments" can do. You wrote this speech - you rehearsed this speech - you knew exactly what you were saying and what you were doing.

You should be ashamed.

(This was emailed to Pepsico.)

GotZoom said:
Ms Nooyi, you are a CFO of a major corporation.

You, along with so many people think you can insult and trash the United States and then apologize; thinking that it will all be O.K and you will be forgiven.

Don't insult my intelligence by expecting me to believe your speech was an "unintential" oops.

You slapped the United States of America across the face.

Your apology is not accepted. By your own admission, you know what "thoughtless comments" can do. You wrote this speech - you rehearsed this speech - you knew exactly what you were saying and what you were doing.

You should be ashamed.

(This was emailed to Pepsico.)

I totally agree. For her to act as if she made a little mistake. She thought she would be a hero,and instead was made the bad guy.That is why she apologized. She meant every word of what she said. I'm guessing her higher ups got to her.

Forum List

Back