Agnosticism

Elutherian

BadMother****er
Oct 13, 2009
Doesn't it just make sense to admit we don't actually know if there is a God? Because really, how can we know?

How do you presume to know whether or not other people really know whether there is diety or not? As an agnostic, I can only state that I do not know, I cannot state what other people know or don't know.

Doesn't it just make sense to admit we don't actually know if there is a God? Because really, how can we know?

religion is based on faith.....

there are those that believe....

those that don't know what to believe....

and those who are adamant that they don't believe.....

faith is an interesting thing….. einstein first thought up e=mc2 while working at the patent office…..but had to wait two years until he could get into a lab and prove it….he had faith…..

one day … everyone will have a chance to get into the “lab” and test their faith…..

I know because the bible states it, the holy spirit confirms it, and my own experience supports the existence of God.

I am agnostic, and it is not in the same sense you are referring to- I am Bible agnostic- I believe in a divine creator, I just do not believe that everything that was said by Him/them is accurately portrayed in the Bible.

But to answer your question- how can we know anything? A domino trail needs a finger to flick it, in order to see the effect.. I still ask "who created the creator?" but that is a question I understand I will never have an answer to.

Hey Allie, you do know that quote is from Freewill right?

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for theism.

Well, I was raised a Baptist, so I know where the religious people are coming from. But I just don't think it makes any sense... seems like people are deluding themselves to me.

How can we know?

We can talk with Him. Experience Him. See the fruits of the Spirit. Recieve Revelation. Be taught unspeakable things. Be taught by ministering angels. Perform miracles in His name.

How can we know He isnt there? We cant, short of being a god ourself.

Well, I was raised a Baptist, so I know where the religious people are coming from. But I just don't think it makes any sense... seems like people are deluding themselves to me.

Personal choice plays a part and a piece. You can choose to believe someone else when they share their faith or you can choose not to believe what they may share with you. For me it makes perfect sense. I had always had so many questions and for me many of those questions have been answered through experiences given by and through the Holy Spirit.

My son came to me seven eight years ago. He being a grown man made his own decision to give his heart to Jesus and he went before the alter to do so. He came to me saying mom it was incredible I could not stop crying. I supposed you would have to know my son to understand that. He is a genuine tough guy. Not that he acts like he's tough but personally if I were an asshole I would not want to take him on.

I have seen and experienced miracles, demons in people and walked with angels. People can believe that or not. I was allowed to personally witness in the spirit a dear friend transformed when her flesh passed away. People can believe that or disbelieve. I wrote about it on a blog here, "Jesus Truly Came For All"

I am agnostic, and it is not in the same sense you are referring to- I am Bible agnostic- I believe in a divine creator, I just do not believe that everything that was said by Him/them is accurately portrayed in the Bible.

But to answer your question- how can we know anything? A domino trail needs a finger to flick it, in order to see the effect.. I still ask "who created the creator?" but that is a question I understand I will never have an answer to.

You are a Diest. As were most of the founders of this nation.

Base on fact,christianty is not just a system of ethics,but also a empirical history.Christ be crossfid,3 days later he revive,this fact prove He is God,He can win the death.And because He can revive,then anyone who can put his faith on Him,then will never living under the shadow of death.When the Holy Spirit living in ur temple of body,u will feel God's almighty power and peace,joyful.

We don't know if there is a God for the same reason that we don't know if there are invisible Orbital Mechanics Elves guiding the motions of stellar bodies.

That reason being, it's a completely unfalsifiable claim.

So yes, you can just say "I don't know if there's a God"... but that would be missing the point.

If God exists do you think he wants you to know he exists, or have faith in his existance?

You are a Diest. As were most of the founders of this nation.

MMM Somewhat- I don't fully subscribe to the philosophy of theism, or monotheism..

Agnostics can be deists, but we say we are agnostic because we do not know one way or another. We are also called "lukewarm christians" by many because we dont subscribe to all or some of the bible's teachings.

To an atheist- we are not deists, but to a religious fundamentalist, we are.

It is basically all boiled down to the interpreting individual's belief system- what we are believed to believe, or not believe anyways, :lol:

If God exists do you think he wants you to know he exists, or have faith in his existance?

I think that either one of the following scenarios best fits the "God" concept-

1- IF a God exists, and it is just one, not someone who is competing with others for attention- then surely he or she or it MIGHT want us to be aware of his existence.. The bible's teachings do reflect this, to some extent

2- If a God exists, but to SEE him, as per the bible's teachings, leads to death- then perhaps this GOD is made up.. Because to want everyone to laud him and worship him, but to die just because you SAW him, is absolutely ridiculous.

3- We are supposed to have faith in this God's existence, based on teachings, however we who have some grasp on history can also see how the Bible's teachings have also evolved from barbaric to a "kinder, gentler" way of life.. I think that if God was as merciful and loving as everyone claims (and as HE claims, too) then there would never have been so many tragic deaths based on people "sinning" and whatnot. Then, it goes on to say that there is some fictitious land of hell in which people burn forever and ever, which is TAUGHT as if this place is literal, when in fact, it was only a big pit full of sulphur, where people who were undeserving of a funeral were chucked when they died. (the ones who did not get thrown all the way in, had worms crawling in and out of them, as they lay dead on ledges) Hell is just the "pit"- the grave, and hades is all of the graves, all of the dead people's bodies.. I think that this could be said much more clearly than the bible tells it, and that God may be more of a scare tactic than anything..

4- The concept of angels and ghosts is so far fetched.. Come ON- If you really said you could talk to dead people, your ass would be thrown into an asylum as quick as a wink. Dead people don't fucking think, much less talk. The "spirit" that is so often ERRANTLY referred to as the holy ghost, or holy spirit, and then turned into ghost people, etc.. Is BULLSHIT. The bible uses "spirit" as a way of describing a mindset of following God, that is all. It does not mean "ghostly spirits", lol- God even says in the bible that we should avoid psychic mediums and fortune tellers, and yet his own followers are KNOWN fortune tellers and mediums, because when JEsus is resurrected from the dead and supposedly turned into a ghost, people SEE HIM and as of that point, all kinds of people in the bible talk about how he still has stuff to do, etc.. Its fucking bullshit.

I dont believe all that horse shit, myself. I try to do good, as much as possible, but the fuck if I am going to kneel down and be told to take it up the ass, and then have it shoved into my ear, instead. Boo...

faith is an interesting thing….. einstein first thought up e=mc2 while working at the patent office…..but had to wait two years until he could get into a lab and prove it….he had faith…..

one day … everyone will have a chance to get into the “lab” and test their faith…..

Carefull...You're entering a minefield with that statement. Very clever, cos I don't know where you stand or what you are trying to say.
It's exactly the sort of statement that the biblical types thrive on and twist and distort to suit their puposes. Einstein's 'faith' has similarly been used and abused by many to suit their own agendas.

Explain please.

I know because the bible states it, the holy spirit confirms it, and my own experience supports the existence of God.

:lol: Love it! Your sarcastic wit is :clap2: Well, done! I often find myself unable to quash religious nonsense with such curt eloquence! Again, well said!

Forum List

Back