• Sex illegal until marriage

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

Nuc

Jul 10, 2005
Sydney, Australia
Since so many of these topics deal with pedophila and underage sex I thought I would ask what people think age of consent should be.

nucular said:
Since so many of these topics deal with pedophila and underage sex I thought I would ask what people think age of consent should be.

The age of consent should be different for individuals. As-is, most states won't charge statutory rape if the 'victim' is at least 16...which is about right, on a case-by-case basis.

-=d=- said:
The age of consent should be different for individuals. As-is, most states won't charge statutory rape if the 'victim' is at least 16...which is about right, on a case-by-case basis.

What do you mean by different for individuals?

Seems like if there is no specific age people will not know whether or not the sex they have is legal.

Maybe you mean 16 should be the age for everyone, but in certain cases it could be younger?

I don't have an opinion on age of consent. I believe that people should wait until marriage, but I don't believe in enforcing that through legal means. However, this does mean that I don't know of any age when I think people should be allowed to legally consent to having sex. I'm waiting until I get married, so age of consent doesn't concern me in the slightest.

nucular said:
What do you mean by different for individuals?

Seems like if there is no specific age people will not know whether or not the sex they have is legal.

Maybe you mean 16 should be the age for everyone, but in certain cases it could be younger?

That's not even close to what I mean. The consent rule shouldn't apply to every situation.

We owe it to kids to protect them from themselves. A 15 year old girl doesn't have much mental capacity. Some 20-something girls are the same (see a certain said liberal young lady on this forum). Therefore, the average 15 year old girl should not be having sex, nor should the average Berkley student. Both aren't mature enough to handle the consequence. However, a 15 year old girl who is 80% 'finished' with her 50th partner shouldn't have the legal recourse to decide 'after the fact' she was 'violated'. So, the first guy who had sex with her? Likely could have been rape. The 49th boy she invited down to her room? Probably not.

Situational.

If you don't understand, just see GZ's reply ;) That works too.

Table 1. Age of consent and statutory provisions prohibiting sexual relationships between minors and adults, as of June 1996, by state
State Age Provisions*
Ala. 16 Capital offense for male >=16 to have intercourse with female <12; lesser offense if victim is aged12-15 and actor is >=16 and two years older than victim.
Alaska 18 First-degree sexual abuse of a minor if victim is <13 and actor is >=16; second degree if victim is aged 13-15 and actor is >=16 and at least three years older than victim.
Ariz. 18 Felony to knowingly engage in sexual conduct with a minor <15; lesser felony if minor is >=15.
Ark. 18 Rape if actor has intercourse or engages in deviate sexual activity with victim <14. First-degree carnal knowledge if actor <18 engages in sexual activity with victim <14; third degree if actor is >=20 and victim is <16.
Calif. 18 Illegal to have intercourse with minor (not a spouse) <18. If actor is not more than three years older than victim, charge is a misdemeanor; harshest penalty for actor >21 when victim is <16.
Colo. 18 Second-degree sexual assault if victim is <15 and actor is at least four years older; third degree if perpetrator is >=18 and victim is <18.
Conn. 16 First-degree sexual assault if actor has intercourse with victim <13 and actor is more than two years older than victim; second degree if victim is aged 13-15 and actor is more than two years older than victim.
Del. 16 Second-degree unlawful sexual contact if victim is <16. First-degree unlawful intercourse if victim <16 suffers serious physical injury or actor used deadly weapon; second degree if intercourse causes physical injury; third degree if intercourse occurs.
D.C. 16 First-degree child sexual abuse if actor engages in sexual act with victim <16 who is at least four years younger than actor; second degree if actor has sexual contact with such victim.
Fla. 18 Capital felony if actor >=18 commits sexual battery or causes injury while attempting to commit sexual battery against person <12; life felony if actor is <18; first-degree sexual battery if victim is aged 12-17. Third-degree child abuse if person >=21 impregnates a child <16. Unlawful sexual activity if person >=24 has intercourse with victim aged 16-17.
Ga. 16† Statutory rape to have intercourse with someone <16. Misdemeanor if victim is aged 14-15 and actor ¾ three years older.
Hawaii 14 First-degree sexual assault if actor knowingly has sex with victim <14; third degree if sexual contact is with victim <14.
Idaho 18 Rape is intercourse with victim <18.
Ill. 18 Predatory criminal sexual assault if actor >=17 has intercourse with victim <13. Aggravated criminal sexual assault if actor is <17 and victim is <9 or aged 9-12 and actor uses force. Aggravated criminal sexual abuse is sexual conduct with victim aged 13-16 and actor at least five years older. Criminal sexual abuse if actor is <17 and victim is aged 9-16.
Ind. 16 Child molestation if actor has intercourse or engages in deviate sexual conduct with child <14.
Iowa 16 Second-degree sexual abuse if victim is <12; third degree if victim is aged 12-13 or 14-15 and actor >=five years older.
Kans. 16 Rape is intercourse with person <14.
Ky. 16 First-degree sexual abuse if actor has sexual contact with victim <12; second degree if victim is <14.
La. 17 Aggravated rape if actor has intercourse with victim <12. Carnal knowledge of juvenile if actor >17 has intercourse with consent of victim aged 12-16 and is more than two years older.
Maine 16 Gross sexual assault if actor engages in sexual act with victim <14. Sexual abuse of minor if victim is aged 14-15 and actor is >=19 and five years older than victim.
Md. 16 Second-degree sexual offense if actor engages in sexual act with victim ¾14 and actor is at least four years older; third degree if actor is >=21 and victim is aged 14-15; fourth degree if actor is four or more years older than minor aged 14-15.
Mass. 16 Unlawful sexual intercourse if victim is <16.
Mich. 16 First-degree criminal sexual conduct to have intercourse with victim <13; third degree if victim is <16.
Minn. 16 First-degree criminal sexual conduct to have intercourse with victim <13 if actor is more than 36 months older; third degree if victim is aged 13-15 and actor is more than 24 months older.
Miss. 18 Illegal for actor >=18 to have carnal knowledge of child <14; possible sentence includes death or life imprisonment (lesser sentence for actors aged 13-17). Carnal knowledge of unmarried person aged 14-17 of previously chaste character is illegal if actor is older than victim.
Mo. 17 First-degree statutory rape if actor has intercourse with person <14; second degree if actor is >=21and victim is <17.
Mont. 16 Sexual assault if victim is <16 and actor is three or more years older.
Nebr. 16 First-degree sexual assault if actor >=19 has intercourse with person <16. Sexual assault of child if actor >=19 engages in sexual contact with victim ¾14.
Nev. 16 Statutory sexual seduction if actor >=18 has intercourse with person <16; felony if actor >21.
N.H. 16 Aggravated felonious assault if actor has intercourse with victim <13. Felonious assault if actor has sexual contact with victim <13 or intercourse with victim aged 13-15.
N.J. 16 First-degree sexual assault if actor has intercourse with victim <13; second degree if sexual contact with victim <13 and actor is four or more years older or intercourse with victim aged 13-15 and actor is four or more years older.
N.M. 17 First-degree criminal sexual penetration to have intercourse with child <13; third-degree criminal sexual contact if child is <13 or aged 13-16 and actor inflicts injury or uses a deadly weapon.
N.Y. 17 First-degree felony to have intercourse with person <11; second degree if actor is >=18 and victim is <14; third degree if actor is >=21 and victim is <17.
N.C. 16 First-degree rape if actor at least aged 12 and four years older than victim has intercourse with child <13.
N.Dak. 18 Gross sexual imposition if actor engages in sexual act with person <15; misdemeanor if adult engages in sexual act with person aged 15-17.
Ohio 18 First-degree rape if actor engages in sexual conduct with person <13. Corruption of a minor if actor is >=18 and victim is aged 13-15; if actor is less than four years older than victim, the crime is reduced from a felony to a misdemeanor.
Okla. 18 First-degree rape if actor >18 has intercourse with victim <14; second degree if actor (no age stipulated) has intercourse with victim <16.
Ore. 18 First-degree rape if actor has intercourse with victim <12; second degree if victim is <14; third degree if victim is <16.
Penn. 16 Rape if victim is <13. Statutory sexual assault if victim is <16 and actor is at least four years older than victim.
R.I. 16 Third-degree sexual assault if actor >=19 has intercourse with person aged 15. First-degree child molestation sexual assault if actor has intercourse with victim ¾14; second degree if sexual contact occurs with person 14.
S.C. 15 First-degree criminal sexual conduct if victim is <11; second degree if victim is aged 11-14.
S.Dak. 16 Rape if victim is <10, or aged 10-15 and perpetrator is at least three years older than victim. Felony for person >=16 to knowingly engage in sexual contact with person <16; if actor is less than three years older than the victim, the crime is reduced to a misdemeanor.
Tenn. 18 Rape of child if victim is <13. Statutory rape if victim is aged 13-17 and actor is at least four years older than victim.
Tex. 17 Aggravated sexual assault if actor has intercourse with victim <14. Sexual assault if actor intentionally or knowingly penetrates victim <17.
Utah 17 Rape if victim is <14, or if victim is aged 14-16 and actor is more than three years older and "coerces victim to submit."
Vt. 16 Aggravated sexual assault if actor >=18 engages in sexual act with victim <10. Sexual assault if actor engages in sexual act with a person <16.
Va. 16 Rape is intercourse with child <13. Felony to have carnal knowledge of child aged 13-15, but if victim consents and is less than three years younger than the minor who is accused, then crime is a misdemeanor.
Wash. 16 First-degree rape if victim is <12 and defendant is at least 24 months older than victim; second degree if victim is aged 12-13 and defendant is at least 36 months older; third degree if victim is aged 14-15 and defendant is at least 48 months older.
W.Va. 16 First-degree sexual assault if actor >=14 engages in sexual "intrusion" with victim ¾11; third degree if victim is <16 and actor is at least four years older.
Wis. 18 First-degree sexual assault if actor engages in sexual contact or intercourse with person <13; second degree if victim is <16.
Wyo. 16 Second-degree sexual assault if victim is <12 and actor is at least four years older; third degree if victim is <16 and actor is at least four years older.
*Does not include statutory provisions that relate to cases of incest, or those in which the perpetrator is in a position of authority over the victim or lives in the same household as the victim. †The age of consent in Georgia was 14 in June 1996; it was raised to 16 in October 1996.

Table 1 also shows that while all states prohibit sexual activity between adults and minors in at least some circumstances, the laws vary enormously from state to state. Most statutes do not refer specifically to statutory rape; instead, they use designations such as sexual abuse, sexual assault, unlawful sexual conduct or carnal knowledge to identify prohibited activity. Most states have classifications and degrees of criminal behavior based on the age of the victim and the age difference between the victim and the "perpetrator."

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/2903097.html

-=d=- said:
That's not even close to what I mean. The consent rule shouldn't apply to every situation.

We owe it to kids to protect them from themselves. A 15 year old girl doesn't have much mental capacity. Some 20-something girls are the same (see a certain said liberal young lady on this forum). Therefore, the average 15 year old girl should not be having sex, nor should the average Berkley student. Both aren't mature enough to handle the consequence. However, a 15 year old girl who is 80% 'finished' with her 50th partner shouldn't have the legal recourse to decide 'after the fact' she was 'violated'. So, the first guy who had sex with her? Likely could have been rape. The 49th boy she invited down to her room? Probably not.

Situational.

If you don't understand, just see GZ's reply ;) That works too.

So if you are a 19 year old boy how do you know who it's OK to have sex with? If the law is different for different girls?

16, if your parents physically take you in, and sign for birth control.

nucular said:
So if you are a 19 year old boy how do you know who it's OK to have sex with? If the law is different for different girls?

Not just different girls but also different states (refer to Mr. P's post).

Well, Mohammed apparently thought 9 was a good age. :2guns: :arabia:

Studies show that the part of our brain that governs judgment and risk-assessment isn't yet developed in teens, so a 15 or 16 year old doesn't fully understand the consequences of consent.

Abbey Normal said:
Well, Mohammed apparently thought 9 was a good age. :2guns: :arabia:

Studies show that the part of our brain that governs judgment and risk-assessment isn't yet developed in teens, so a 15 or 16 year old doesn't fully understand the consequences of consent.

Just curious...if this is true then that means that a 15 or 16 year old who commits murder doesn't really know whe he/she was doing? Not be tried as an adult..etc?

GotZoom said:
Just curious...if this is true then that means that a 15 or 16 year old who commits murder doesn't really know whe he/she was doing? Not be tried as an adult..etc?
I would say there is a difference between intent and judgment. You can form the intent to murder someone, but not have the ability to gauge the full consequences your actions will have on your own life.

dilloduck said:
How about shortly after the age of reason is reached ?
Dillo! The age of reason (according to my child dev prof) is SIX. You don't mean six, do you?

mom4 said:
Dillo! The age of reason (according to my child dev prof) is SIX. You don't mean six, do you?
naaaaaaa it was just a poor attempt at to fit rationality into the equation and sound smart while I was doing it. My apologies to Thomas Paine.

Hobbit said:
I don't have an opinion on age of consent. I believe that people should wait until marriage, but I don't believe in enforcing that through legal means. However, this does mean that I don't know of any age when I think people should be allowed to legally consent to having sex. I'm waiting until I get married, so age of consent doesn't concern me in the slightest.

So it is OK with you for a 40 year old man to have sex with a 13 year old girl, after they are married of course?

elephant said:
So it is OK with you for a 40 year old man to have sex with a 13 year old girl, after they are married of course?

That was ok with everyone back when arranged marriages were the norm.

Shattered said:
That was ok with everyone back when arranged marriages were the norm.

I am wondering if Hobbit thinks it is OK, not if it used to happen. I know it was common practice but I thought the 'norm' had changed.

Do you think it is OK?

Forum List

Back