Againsheila

In my personal experiance, Koreans have a more difficult time pronouncing english words. They seem to keep more of a foreign accent than other asian people. Maybe it's because their language doesn't have certain sounds or pronounciations that we use in english.

Why do you ask?

You could say that about most languages.

My sister-in-law and nephew are Korean, and both lost their accents within a few years of moving here. My mother-in-law, by contrast, was Chinese, lived here for almost forty years, and never stopped speaking in an accent so thick, I frequently had to ask her to write down what she was saying so I could understand it.

I think it has more to do with the individual than their place of origin.

You could say that about most languages.

My sister-in-law and nephew are Korean, and both lost their accents within a few years of moving here. My mother-in-law, by contrast, was Chinese, lived here for almost forty years, and never stopped speaking in an accent so thick, I frequently had to ask her to write down what she was saying so I could understand it.

I think it has more to do with the individual than their place of origin.

My cousin in law is from Germany, the best man at our wedding is from Hong Kong. Long time ago, Hong Kong guy called up and asked to come over, I said sure and that Germany guy was already here. He said, "You mean that guy with the think accent?" I laughed out loud, talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Had a party with both of them attending once and they got into an argument about President Rosenfelder...yep that's what they were calling him. The funniest thing is that they were both arguing about a different Rosevelt and didn't even know it. And of course, with each beer, their accents got stronger and they had more and more trouble understanding each other. It was so funny. Would have been a great SNL skit.

My cousin in law is from Germany, the best man at our wedding is from Hong Kong. Long time ago, Hong Kong guy called up and asked to come over, I said sure and that Germany guy was already here. He said, "You mean that guy with the think accent?" I laughed out loud, talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Had a party with both of them attending once and they got into an argument about President Rosenfelder...yep that's what they were calling him. The funniest thing is that they were both arguing about a different Rosevelt and didn't even know it. And of course, with each beer, their accents got stronger and they had more and more trouble understanding each other. It was so funny. Would have been a great SNL skit.

Shoot, in my family you can do that with people whose ancestors have been here since colonial times. :) You oughta hear the regional accents on some of them.

Interesting thing about accents. I had a Southern accent as a child, because both my parents do, but I also had a lisp. I attended speech therapy for years, and also took vocal and choral lessons. I still have a lisp, but I'm told that when I talk, I sound like that computerized female voice you hear on telephone answering systems.

When I listen to people talking with a Southern accent, though, mine returns. I was watching a TV show the other day that was set in Louisiana, and my best friend called. He couldn't figure out who the heck he was talking to at first.

Interesting story. Welcome.

I am a platypus who belongs to Phineas Flynn and Ferb Fletcher. Unbeknownst to them, I lead a double life as a secret agent named "Agent P".

Interesting story. Welcome.

I am a platypus who belongs to Phineas Flynn and Ferb Fletcher. Unbeknownst to them, I lead a double life as a secret agent named "Agent P".

God, my son watches that show all the time. It's one of the many reasons that my computer has headphones attached.

Shoot, in my family you can do that with people whose ancestors have been here since colonial times. :) You oughta hear the regional accents on some of them.

Interesting thing about accents. I had a Southern accent as a child, because both my parents do, but I also had a lisp. I attended speech therapy for years, and also took vocal and choral lessons. I still have a lisp, but I'm told that when I talk, I sound like that computerized female voice you hear on telephone answering systems.

When I listen to people talking with a Southern accent, though, mine returns. I was watching a TV show the other day that was set in Louisiana, and my best friend called. He couldn't figure out who the heck he was talking to at first.

My father was a southerner. Five minutes down south and his accent was back.

God, my son watches that show all the time. It's one of the many reasons that my computer has headphones attached.

You can always spot the ones with small children! My favorite episode is [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd7Qop304Oo"]RollerCoaster[/ame].

BTW Againsheila, my youngest son has Asperger syndrome.

You can always spot the ones with small children! My favorite episode is RollerCoaster.

BTW Againsheila, my youngest son has Asperger syndrome.

Well, there is hope. After 5 years of sitting around the house and not getting a job my oldest finally started college this year at DeVry University and he's getting all A's so far. He's even joined a couple of clubs and is finally showing an interest in learning how to drive.

Well, there is hope. After 5 years of sitting around the house and not getting a job my oldest finally started college this year at DeVry University and he's getting all A's so far. He's even joined a couple of clubs and is finally showing an interest in learning how to drive.

That's good to know. He is exceptionally bright. He makes straight A's. It's the social situations that are difficult for him and he's not very athletic.

That's good to know. He is exceptionally bright. He makes straight A's. It's the social situations that are difficult for him and he's not very athletic.

It's those social skills that are gonna cause the most problems for him. My son is and always has been very bright too, but he didn't do so hot in highschool. School was always a problem for him due to his social skills and he was never good at teamwork. No, in this private University, the classes are smaller and the students are all paying a lot of money to be there, they are more interested in learning than in picking on someone. Turth is, he's had a lot of help and now, he's even worked successfully in groups on assignments. If I had it to do over again, I think I would have homeschooled him longer. The highschool worked more on brainwashing him than on educating him and the kids were really bullies and the school did nothing about them.

I hope you have more luck in the publicschools than I did.

As a Sociologist, one of my favorite fields of study is Linguistics.

My pet theory about language is the "Whorfian Hypothesis"

Named after Benjiman Whorf. Who said that language defines a peoples culture and reality.

Whorf Hypothesis

I think you will find it interesting!

Do you agree with the Whorfian theory?

Forum List

Back