After the SCOTUS decision on ObamaCare, what are the LIMITS of Federal Power?

Liability

Locked Account.
Jun 28, 2009
Mansion in Ravi's Head
Serious question.

It could go in "politics," and I'm ok if it gets moved there. But I put it in the law section because it really focuses on the boundaries of governmental power under the "new?" limits of Constitutional authority.

And here is the question.

If the CJ Roberts' opinion in the ObamaCare case is correct legal analysis, and the Congress can tax us (as a penalty) for opting OUT of their command to purchase a specific product which THEY deem to be in our collective and individual interests, then WHAT LIMITS associated with a Federal government of ENUMERATED POWERS are left on what they can do under the auspices of simply calling it a "tax?"

Hell, in this case they specifically REFUSED to call it a tax, but it ws ok'd on that premise all the same. So, by the mere rouse of CALLING it a "tax," what can Congress no longer reach?

And how do you come to your conclusion?

None.

If they can "tax" you for not doing anything, there's no limit to what they can do.

That is exactly what i am afraid of.

I'd love to see -- especially by way of some legal analysis -- how any liberal could maintain (honestly) anything else.

I frankly cannot imagine how even CJ Roberts could answer this question -- honestly -- in any other way.

So we finally resolve the long dormant question of whether the Commerce Clause is a valid tool by which the Federal Government can get around the enumerated powers in the negative. Hooray.

BUT -- oops -- we REPLACE it with an affirmative answer to the ability of Congress to by-pass the enumerated powers restraints on Federal Governmental action by using their TAXING authority.

How can you tax nothing?

You buy something, you get taxed. but now you get taxed for not buying something.

There truly is no end, the only question is;

What's next?

travel tax is in the works now.

personally it's a toss up between green cars and life ins.

My moneys on life ins. no unions and everyone dies

New Congressional Rule:

If it moves, tax it.

If it doesn't move, tax it.

If they buy it, tax it.

If they won't buy it, tax it.

They used to say you can't tax the air we breathe. Congress now says, "tax it."

Congress now believes it would be wise to put a tax on taxation.

A search for precedent in the Supreme Court decisions reveals that the idea is perfectly sound.

I am sure IF they found a way to tax you for how many breaths you take they would.. How many times you took a shit .. How many times you brushed your teeth..

Congress has voted this tune to be a Congressional FAVE!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb7S8-Iewi0]The Hollies - The air that I breathe [1974] Original Version [HQ] - YouTube[/ame]

Serious question.

It could go in "politics," and I'm ok if it gets moved there. But I put it in the law section because it really focuses on the boundaries of governmental power under the "new?" limits of Constitutional authority.

And here is the question.

If the CJ Roberts' opinion in the ObamaCare case is correct legal analysis, and the Congress can tax us (as a penalty) for opting OUT of their command to purchase a specific product which THEY deem to be in our collective and individual interests, then WHAT LIMITS associated with a Federal government of ENUMERATED POWERS are left on what they can do under the auspices of simply calling it a "tax?"

Hell, in this case they specifically REFUSED to call it a tax, but it ws ok'd on that premise all the same. So, by the mere rouse of CALLING it a "tax," what can Congress no longer reach?

And how do you come to your conclusion?

None.

Progressives have remade America into their image with an all powerful central government that will direct all their activities

None.

If they can "tax" you for not doing anything, there's no limit to what they can do.

You walk into a 7-11 and buy a gallon of milk on the way home.
The clerk asks you if you want a slurpee, and you say no. You get taxed 25 cents for NOT BUYING the slurpee.

Plus the tax on the milk

and the tax tax

and associated "usage" fees.

Plus penalties -- which, as we know, are actually taxes.

In the interest of expediting the termination of the American Republic and limited Constitutional government, I hereby nominate New York City's Mayor McNanny to be our next President!

Forum List

Back