After the obamacare ruling will this be possible?

Congress never had the precedent to force you to buy something via a tax. never before until obamatax.

Really?

Care to explain why there's a tax on gasoline, and not on ethanol?

Isn't that a tax to attempt to "force" people to buy ethanol?

Thanks to obamatax they now have precedent to move this forward.
From the second link

The Obama administration wants to spend $556 billion over the next six years on transportation projects, but they may have to get creative to pay for them. One "practical option" could be taxing drivers based on their mileage, the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office (CBO) is reporting.

The CBO has released a report on a potential mileage tax at the behest of Democratic Sen. Kent Conrad (N.D.), the chairman of the Senate Budget Committee, the Hill reports. While tracking mileage was once considered infeasible, the CBO concluded that new technologies

Congress already had the ability to tax in whichever way they chose fit.

They did not need a "precedent" to levy a tax.

The tax was rejected because it was stupid, not because it was unconstitutional.

Yes, BigReb, sometimes the President actually agrees with you.

Congress never had the precedent to force you to buy something via a tax. never before until obamatax.

Right. Congress has never before forced us to buy something via a tax.

Except for

Old Age insurance
Survivors insurance
Disability Insurance

and health insurance for when you get old.

Other than those multi-billion dollar items, you're right, Congress has never forced anyone to buy anything.

Last edited:
For those who find great satisfaction that obamacare passed because it was ruled a tax, I HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU TO THINK ABOUT.
The passage of obamacare was to help with the cost of medical care. Now what would stop the government from controlling the numbers of miles you put on your car in the fight to control global warming? You are only allowed to drive a certain numbers of miles or you will be taxed on every mile that you go over your pre-approved set mileage plan.

I actually see this happening if obama is elected. Can you afford the addition tax?

Um...we get taxed more the more we drive right now. :eusa_whistle:

Congress already had the ability to tax in whichever way they chose fit.

They did not need a "precedent" to levy a tax.

The tax was rejected because it was stupid, not because it was unconstitutional.

Yes, BigReb, sometimes the President actually agrees with you.

Except for

Old Age insurance
Survivors insurance
Disability Insurance

Other than those multi-billion dollar items, you're right, Congress has never forced anyone to buy anything.

I can't wait to see this tax come to hear you bitch about it.

Really?

If you don't own a car do you pay the gasoline tax?

It's like you really think that if there is a mileage tax there won't also be a gasoline tax. Of course there will still be a gasoline tax. That's not going away. You'll just have a mileage tax on top of that. It just won't be enough. It won't be enough especially if people really do start driving less. Then the questions, why should people who bike and use the same roads as cars not pay a tax. People should not freeload off the roadways by taking the bus. Tax bus fares. Then there are the real freeloaders who don't use a form of transportation. They still get the benefit of roads, sidewalks and especially pedestrian traffic signals. They walk. They pay absolutely zip. There should be a general transportation tax to pay for all these services. If they can tax someone who isn't using the health care system because they may someday use the health care system, it follows they can tax someone because they may someday call a taxi.

With the Obamatax you get whacked for not purchasing something.

Hasn't government's power to tax always been for/on something (gas, income, etc)?

Except for

Old Age insurance
Survivors insurance
Disability Insurance

You mean like you are crying....er, no....bitching right now?

Really?

Interesting question. You strike me as the type who mooches rides from others and doesn't offer to pay his fair share in gas.

Hey elvis wouldn't you agree a deflection from the OP is also a fail?

wasn't meant to deflect. it was meant to show how silly can be..

What I post since the obamacare ruling will happen there is nothing to stop it short of obama losing.

Actually it happened before the obamatax ruling. You were told what kind of light bulb you could buy. Get used to it. It's only just started. One ply or two?

Except for

Old Age insurance
Survivors insurance
Disability Insurance

I have health insurance and make less than 250k a year. My taxes aren't going up.

Really?

That's up to you. Taxes paid by businesses are variously determined to be either by taxes paid by business or taxes paid by the consumer - depending on which is more convenient for right wingers to say. So which is it? If the tax that truckers pay to buy diesel is really paid by the consumer - your answer is yes. If not - then the answer is no.

Forum List

Back