After the American Civil War, where did the millions of freed slaves go?

I don't see any numbers. Where did these millions of freed slaves go to leave the terrible suppression of southern slavery? How many were welcomed into northern homes and lands?

Part of it is called the Great Northern Migration. The rest had no need to really leave because of 2 reasons... they were no longer slaves, and the southern states had been destroyed and there was a lot of work that would be available during Reconstruction.

Are you Kanye West trying to argue slavery wasn't that bad because they didn't fight back hard enough?...

The 'Great Migration' wasn't really all that great', and didn't happen immediately after the Civil War, in any case. Northern labor recruiters were mainly looking for strike breakers and to fill the crappiest jobs in the meat packing plants. WW I was also a big draw. Auto plants, too.

There wan't that much 'work' after Reconstruction; it was still agriculturally based. Yankee troops didn't just loot white people's houses, they also robbed and murdered slaves; they couldn't believe slaves were allowed to own property, especially good stuff. Kanye West is right; most slaves were materially better off than 'free' white labor, north or south. Being 'freed' was no great favor bestowed on them by northern looters and killers.

In the South during Reconstruction there was a TON of work to do. So not only were there fields that were no longer manned by slaves, but a HUGE amount of the men who fought for the Confederacy in the war died or came back nothing like they left, many of whom would be missing limbs, eyes, or more. Those positions would be filled by former slaves, but eventually a second type of slavery would step in, where Blacks would be arrested and given fines they couldn't pay. A lot of the time being arrested for bogus crimes like vagrancy. White land owners would then come and buy their fines and make them have to work it off... which they never could because the land owners would charge more for food and shelter than they could afford.

So no, the Great Northern Migration wasn't at its peak right after the war, but it certainly started no long afterwards.

Blacks in the South were no worse off than white sharecroppers, the main employment for laborers in the South. They had no great future in the Northern states, weren't welcome, and most didn't go. 'Freeing' them subjected them to the same abuse given to white labor; they were truly made equal in the South, unlike in the North, where they were abused even more by the factory systems, used for strike-breaking and the violence and discrimination that brought on them. Your inability to admit the facts and avoid them is itself evidence of the bullshit being fed to schoolchildren to this day.

I guarantee you I have read more about this than you have.

Go read the book called "Worse than Slavery," and it will show you FACTS that freed slaves were nowhere near treated the same in the South as white sharecroppers. What a fucking ridiculous statement.

I don't see any numbers. Where did these millions of freed slaves go to leave the terrible suppression of southern slavery? How many were welcomed into northern homes and lands?

Part of it is called the Great Northern Migration. The rest had no need to really leave because of 2 reasons... they were no longer slaves, and the southern states had been destroyed and there was a lot of work that would be available during Reconstruction.

Are you Kanye West trying to argue slavery wasn't that bad because they didn't fight back hard enough?...

The 'Great Migration' wasn't really all that great', and didn't happen immediately after the Civil War, in any case. Northern labor recruiters were mainly looking for strike breakers and to fill the crappiest jobs in the meat packing plants. WW I was also a big draw. Auto plants, too.

There wan't that much 'work' after Reconstruction; it was still agriculturally based. Yankee troops didn't just loot white people's houses, they also robbed and murdered slaves; they couldn't believe slaves were allowed to own property, especially good stuff. Kanye West is right; most slaves were materially better off than 'free' white labor, north or south. Being 'freed' was no great favor bestowed on them by northern looters and killers.

In the South during Reconstruction there was a TON of work to do. So not only were there fields that were no longer manned by slaves, but a HUGE amount of the men who fought for the Confederacy in the war died or came back nothing like they left, many of whom would be missing limbs, eyes, or more. Those positions would be filled by former slaves, but eventually a second type of slavery would step in, where Blacks would be arrested and given fines they couldn't pay. A lot of the time being arrested for bogus crimes like vagrancy. White land owners would then come and buy their fines and make them have to work it off... which they never could because the land owners would charge more for food and shelter than they could afford.

So no, the Great Northern Migration wasn't at its peak right after the war, but it certainly started no long afterwards.

Blacks in the South were no worse off than white sharecroppers, the main employment for laborers in the South. They had no great future in the Northern states, weren't welcome, and most didn't go. 'Freeing' them subjected them to the same abuse given to white labor; they were truly made equal in the South, unlike in the North, where they were abused even more by the factory systems, used for strike-breaking and the violence and discrimination that brought on them. Your inability to admit the facts and avoid them is itself evidence of the bullshit being fed to schoolchildren to this day.

I guarantee you I have read more about this than you have.

Go read the book called "Worse than Slavery," and it will show you FACTS that freed slaves were nowhere near treated the same in the South as white sharecroppers. What a fucking ridiculous statement.

lol I'm not going to disagree that you've read a huge quantity of total bullshit and fake 'histories'. I prefer to read real histories, of which there are enough available I don't need to read Commie Pity Parties and fake news.

You're just a fashion victim, after all, and would have been just another toady back in those days as well. Both white and black farmers joined together to form populist farm relief organizations during the Depression to try and inform the New Dealers as to why their 'reforms' and subsidies to farmers weren't working, but were widely ignored by 'those who knew best n stuff' how to help.

Forum List

Back