After the American Civil War, where did the millions of freed slaves go?

I don't see any numbers. Where did these millions of freed slaves go to leave the terrible suppression of southern slavery? How many were welcomed into northern homes and lands?

slavery was over so there was no need to get away from something that no longer existed,,,

and its pretty clear most stayed where they were at others moved north and some even went back to africa,,,

you should really do some research before asking such a dumb question

I don't see any numbers. Where did these millions of freed slaves go to leave the terrible suppression of southern slavery? How many were welcomed into northern homes and lands?
It is quite easy to Search and find all the relevant information regarding the movement of the freed slaves..most stayed in the South and were soon subjected to a different kind of bondage known as 'Jim Crow'...a large number migrated North and West.....while their welcome was not warm...it was better for most..as work and local conditions were better...if far from ideal.

But you could have found all that with a 30 second search..so why even start the topic?

• Banned
I looked up the recent US Census numbers and the states with the highest percentage of black population are all the southern slave states, and Washington DC which also had slavery. So it appears that a very small percentage of slaves ever went anywhere. Hard to believe that the North who sent 300,000+ soldiers to die fighting to "free the slaves" didn't welcome many slaves up north.

Hard to believe that the North who sent 300,000+ soldiers to die fighting to "free the slaves" didn't welcome many slaves up north.

Not nearly as hard to believe as the South who fought a war to prove they were better than the slaves and lose.

• Banned
Hard to believe that the North who sent 300,000+ soldiers to die fighting to "free the slaves" didn't welcome many slaves up north.

Not nearly as hard to believe as the South who fought a war to prove they were better than the slaves and lose.

Wow if that's what you think the South fought for you need a history lesson. :badgrin:

No point in engaging someone who is as obviously ignorant of history as the author of the OP, Mr. C.

Better to just sit and talk to a cinder block. You're more likely to get an intelligent exchange...

Wow if that's what you think the South fought for you need a history lesson. :badgrin:
LOL! You're trying so hard.....seems a shame to just let you hang...the South fought for State's rights..agreed? Of course, it was the right to own slaves...that was the States right in question..any reading of the declarations, petitions, perorations and declamations of the time..made it clear to all..that the South was enamored of their 'peculiar institution' and were willing to fight for it.
I note with amusement your sig--well..not all of Virginia was there..as a significant portion of Virginia was so disgusted by Virginia's treason that they split..and became their own State..West-by-God Virginia..true blue patriots!

As for the North fighting and dying to end slavery..not so many of them were about that. Especially the Irish and the poor who were drafted. Even those who were all about ending slavery were not so keen on blacks emigrating north and competing for the same menial jobs that had been theirs.

let it be clear..with a very few exceptions, everyone in 1860 was racist by our standards..for most of us..times have changed..but for a few inbreeds and the like...they still cling to their notions...i guess some are so low..that they need someone to be lower..just to be able to look in the mirror.

Thanks for playing.

Yeah, states rights and all that crap.

The right to own other human beings.

You people lost that ridiculous argument and thank God you did.

I looked up the recent US Census numbers and the states with the highest percentage of black population are all the southern slave states, and Washington DC which also had slavery. So it appears that a very small percentage of slaves ever went anywhere. Hard to believe that the North who sent 300,000+ soldiers to die fighting to "free the slaves" didn't welcome many slaves up north.

all that means is they were happy where they were,,,and who said they needed to be invited???

its a free country and they could go where they wanted,,,

There were never any "millions of slaves." At the height of slavery, only a very small number of places were capable of supporting slaves.

When the Civil War was over, most who had not escaped to the north simply stayed where they were. Where else were they to go? They continued to work the land, this time for carpetbaggers from the north - all of them Democrats.

There were never any "millions of slaves." At the height of slavery, only a very small number of places were capable of supporting slaves.

When the Civil War was over, most who had not escaped to the north simply stayed where they were. Where else were they to go? They continued to work the land, this time for carpetbaggers from the north - all of them Democrats.
Not that the name Democrat..signifies anything in this context--it was not the same party as today--just as the party of Lincoln hates everything he stood for...LOL!

As for your contention that there were not 'millions of slaves":

1860 Census Results

The totals for slaves reported to the census: 3,950,528 slaves in the US

This is the History forum....if you make a contention here..you are expected to support it with facts..not tired political polemic.

Southern revisionists are hilarious.

They know that slavery was an abomination of history, so they try to pretend that the Civil War wasn’t about slavery.

lol

That’s like saying WWII wasn’t about the Nazis.

It is quite easy to Search and find all the relevant information regarding the movement of the freed slaves..most stayed in the South and were soon subjected to a different kind of bondage known as 'Jim Crow'...a large number migrated North and West.....while their welcome was not warm...it was better for most..as work and local conditions were better...if far from ideal.

But you could have found all that with a 30 second search..so why even start the topic?
Why all the rudeness. Just answer the damn question or ignore it.

Most stayed put and continued working da farm wit da boss man......Now with a little cash and a little less pressure

Why all the rudeness. Just answer the damn question or ignore it.
Hmm..you found that rude did you? I thought it was a cogent question..although I did know the answer. i appreciate the admonition to politeness and I'll look to you for examples on how I might better conduct myself in this august forum.

Nah...I'm lying...I'll speak as I damn well feel..and I don't give a shyte as to your hurt feelers.

I spoke as I did because the OP is trolling..so he got what he deserved.

Some 700,000 to a million died in 'Contraband Camps', unable to flee north and left to die of disease and starvation because the north didn't want blacks moving north; the biggest part of the political propaganda was centered on how Lincoln and the War Party were going to keep 'free white labor' from having to compete with black labor free or slave in the north and the free territories. the North controlled the rivers and railroads, and were exporting records amounts of food to Europe, so no need to keep them in disease ridden camps with no food, outside of it being a political necessity. The remainder merely went into share cropping, in a destroyed economy run by carpet baggers.

The myth that Yankees were all fighting for some 'Noble Cause' is just silly revisionism they like to pat themselves on the back for, despite all the evidence to the contrary; they were fighting for keeping blacks in the south and for looting the south to pay for northern subsidies. 'Free' white labor in the north and south were far worse off than slaves, also a well-documented fact of life.

Some 700,000 to a million died in 'Contraband Camps', unable to flee north and left to die of disease and starvation because the north didn't want blacks moving north; the biggest part of the political propaganda was centered on how Lincoln and the War Party were going to keep 'free white labor' from having to compete with black labor free or slave in the north and the free territories. the North controlled the rivers and railroads, and were exporting records amounts of food to Europe, so no need to keep them in disease ridden camps with no food, outside of it being a political necessity. The remainder merely went into share cropping, in a destroyed economy run by carpet baggers.

The myth that Yankees were all fighting for some 'Noble Cause' is just silly revisionism they like to pat themselves on the back for, despite all the evidence to the contrary; they were fighting for keeping blacks in the south and for looting the south to pay for northern subsidies. 'Free' white labor in the north and south were far worse off than slaves, also a well-documented fact of life.

Sounds like the freed slaves who stayed with their slave owners fared a lot better than the ones who were liberated by the Union.

Forum List

Back