after market parts?

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
still dealing with the 'wreck'

i took truck to a car shop i like and trust...i got an estimate...now the insurance has cut 250 bucks from the estimate and put in "after market" parts. I am not happy about that. Have call into agent? so what is the story with after market parts, i understand they are basically chinese crap? so any imput on this?

My understanding (Talk to the shop guy for sure) is this is stuff pulled off other cars of the same make as yours, or parts sold to dealers/shops and traded as necessary.

So if someone else's car was totaled, but their car still had usable undamaged parts, a wrecker would pull off all the good stuff off of it and sell it.

With later model cars the insurance companies are more and more inclined to total the car rather than get repairs. A lot of parts of a car cost more to replace than a car is worth, so there are more likely to be after market parts for these cars. Air bags cost a bomb to replace.

Many of the modifications made to one's car are made using after market auto parts. Aftermarket simply means that the product being installed onto or into one's car is made by a company other than the original manufacturer of the car. Any part made by the original manufacturer is considered OEM, or original equipment manufacturer. Most performance parts are manufactured by aftermarket companies due to their ability to specialize in particular field. Aftermarket parts range anywhere from air intake kits to car graphics kits and chrome rims. Aftermarket parts can sometimes be installed by the car's owner with minimal or no knowledge about automobiles, while other parts will require professional installation. Knowledgeable advice should be sought in order to make an educated decision before buying an aftermarket product.

What are After Market Auto Parts?

I buy a lot of after market parts as the manufacturer doesn't make them anymore.

Ordinarily an "after market" body panel company was the either a subcontractor that made the original part for the manufacturer and simply continued offering that part under their own name or a company that has bought the original machines used by the manufacturer when the manufacturer retools.

Last edited:

i took truck to a car shop i like and trust...i got an estimate...now the insurance has cut 250 bucks from the estimate and put in "after market" parts. I am not happy about that. Have call into agent? so what is the story with after market parts, i understand they are basically chinese crap? so any imput on this?

I missed the OP on your accident...where is your truck wrecked?

IMG_1923.jpg

IMG_1924.jpg

IMG_1925.jpg

from what i am reading the re sell of the truck could be less with aftermarket parts and they could be less safe.

The resale value could be reduced because it has been wrecked if the buyer checks with a company like Carfax.

Less safe I can't help much with...your toyota is newer than anything I work on.

I suppose it would depend on whether 'crumple zones' are incorporated into the design...and in that department I am out of my depth.

I'd save them pictures in the event anyone complained about that little accident showing up on carfax.

My 68 Mustang is FULL of Chinese aftermarket parts. They're all over the place in quality. Think I shaved a little weight off the car by accidentally buying lighter bumpers if you get my drift. Sometimes there is a little work to be done on the panels, sometimes things line right up.

My recommendation? Probably not worth fighting over unless you see some defect in the finished repair or you can catch your insurance company in some fine print about OEM this or that.

o i dont expect to fight over it...i expect my agent to get involved. i expect my agent to convince whomever that i want to be happy.....and its only 250 bucks..i wouldnt let the kidlet contact any of the numberous lawyers who mailed him packets....mentioning pain and suffering....he would mention pain and suffering...i would mention the air bags didnt deploy

o missourian..that is the truck the rich grandmother helped son buy....it is in my name...my family is weird like that.....i drive a 96 subbie that about two months ago...my mechanic cut up a mtn dew can and put in my break caliber....10 dollars fixed it...but alas a 10 dollar fix never last...i had to have the calibers replaced thursday...amazing what it feels like and sounds like to drive a car with good calibers

If it's an older car, personally, I'd be fine with after-market parts.. If it's a newer car, I'd insist on new..but that's just me.

Can't you call a junk yard to see if they have the part? That is what they do?

Salvaging parts that can be salvaged and sold

Forum List

Back