After almost six days........my electricity just came back on!

You can sit shivering in the dark, throw away any food in the freezer, and smell like a goat because you can't shower...I will keep my genset running!

Envy is a terrible thing. A genset is only about $600.

Is it possible to put those things in an insulated, roofed box, not unlike a large doghouse, to kill some of the noise?

Not easily. They need plenty of airflow or they will overheat.

Yes, and they need to be placed so the exhaust doesn't kill anyone.

Ours is pretty quiet, it really seems to depend on the size.

You can sit shivering in the dark, throw away any food in the freezer, and smell like a goat because you can't shower...I will keep my genset running!

No envy here. I have a hearth woodstove. Heats up most of our house and we can cook on it. We have plenty of flashlights and lanterns and batteries and candles as back ups. Even have an old camp-stove percolator so we can have our coffee. It would have been a wonderful vacation without computers and television if only we could hear ourselves think. The people with bedrooms on that side of the house couldn't sleep due to the noise. I'm gonna have to see if the city has some noise ordnance codes that apply to that noisy generator. If not, maybe I can get one passed. I'm glad the power came back on after 3 days or I would have gone insane due to their generator noise. Not sure what the punishment would be for someone who destroyed a generator after being driven insane for days by it's noise. I think if I were on the jury, I'd go easy on them.

Touch my generator, and you will be very sorry. If I even SUSPECTED a terd like you lived near me, I would make sure that while running, the whole generator was hot, as in: fully electrified with 30 amps and 240 volts. (Yes, that most certainly is enough to be lethal.)

BTW, I have a generator, we've never powered it up. Our woodstove has always been enough for our needs and it seems whenever we are without power, it's cold enough outside that I just put the food in coolers outside and it's fine.

Yee ha. Whoopee. Yippie-ki-yay. In the real world, people lose power in warm weather. Like many people, if I lose power, I have no water pressure. Many people have no way to cook (or even reheat) food without power. Without power, my stepfather didn't get any restful sleep for three days (he uses a C-pap).

I used to love the snow, it was always so quiet, especially with the power out. They have ruined that for me. If we lose our power again, I think the rest of the neighbors and I will start up a petition or something. None of us were happy with them, but then again, they care nothing for us either. They've never attended any neighborhood get togethers. They don't talk to us and the one time I took a package to their door (the mailman left it sitting by their mailbox and I knew she got medication in the mail so I took it over) she just took the box from me and closed the door, didn't even say thank you and I know thank you in ASL so even if she's deaf she's rude and ungrateful.

You seem to be projecting...I suspect they may just not like dealing with a self-righteous prick like you. People like you are the reason I live in the middle of nowhere.

I've made up my mind to look into solar power for help during black outs. Wonder how I could get my neighbors to do the same. And why would they need to run that bigass generator 24/7 anyway? Can't they at least turn it off at night so the rest of us can sleep?

Sure, just as soon as you explain, in detail, how I am supposed to run my furnace all night with solar panels!

I think my neighbors have one like that. The rest of us wanted to kill that thing. We had snow. It sounded like a mac truck running in our yards 24/7. No peace and quiet for us....All I know is if it had gone on for more than 3 days...I would have been seriously thinking of sabotaging it. Wait a minute, I already was thinking about it. Somebody should have a talk with them about sound proofing that thing. Even cars have mufflers.

Air-cooled gensets are loud. Mine is old (mid-70's) and is VERY loud, even with a large muffler. It has what looks like a riding lawnmower engine, but most of the racket seems to be from the engine itself (as opposed to exhaust roar) and the large cooling fan.

Sabotaging a generator could result in someone's death.

I noticed the same problem with my generators. I have a 6.5kw & a 10kw. I put a big car muffler on the 10kw & it helped a lot. But the 6.5kw had really loud engine noise not emanating from the exhaust which I had venting into an underground drainage pipe. I stacked bricks all around the generator except for the cooling fan intake area. It helped quite a bit but it was in the mid 90's out that week so I was afraid to box it in to much & make it overheat.

Mine has a large lilac bush between it and the house, which helps greatly. The large muffler also helped. Bricks might make it worse, you want something to ABSORB sound, not bounce it...a sheet of plywood covered in foam, maybe.

You'll pay more for one, but the Honda Eu-series inverter-generators are fuel efficient and quiet. Even at full power, my Eu3000 is almost silent. You can stand next to it and hold a conversation without a problem. The big Eu6500 is no louder. Downside: a new Eu6500 is about four grand. :(

The big problem was the amount of gas these things suck down. One generator would use over 10 gallons a day. That is like paying $1200 a month for electricity that does not run most items in your house.

My 8.5kW will run everything in the house except the dryer...what the heck are you trying to power?!

No envy here. I have a hearth woodstove. Heats up most of our house and we can cook on it. We have plenty of flashlights and lanterns and batteries and candles as back ups. Even have an old camp-stove percolator so we can have our coffee. It would have been a wonderful vacation without computers and television if only we could hear ourselves think. The people with bedrooms on that side of the house couldn't sleep due to the noise. I'm gonna have to see if the city has some noise ordnance codes that apply to that noisy generator. If not, maybe I can get one passed. I'm glad the power came back on after 3 days or I would have gone insane due to their generator noise. Not sure what the punishment would be for someone who destroyed a generator after being driven insane for days by it's noise. I think if I were on the jury, I'd go easy on them.

Touch my generator, and you will be very sorry. If I even SUSPECTED a terd like you lived near me, I would make sure that while running, the whole generator was hot, as in: fully electrified with 30 amps and 240 volts. (Yes, that most certainly is enough to be lethal.)

BTW, I have a generator, we've never powered it up. Our woodstove has always been enough for our needs and it seems whenever we are without power, it's cold enough outside that I just put the food in coolers outside and it's fine.

Yee ha. Whoopee. Yippie-ki-yay. In the real world, people lose power in warm weather. Like many people, if I lose power, I have no water pressure. Many people have no way to cook (or even reheat) food without power. Without power, my stepfather didn't get any restful sleep for three days (he uses a C-pap).

I used to love the snow, it was always so quiet, especially with the power out. They have ruined that for me. If we lose our power again, I think the rest of the neighbors and I will start up a petition or something. None of us were happy with them, but then again, they care nothing for us either. They've never attended any neighborhood get togethers. They don't talk to us and the one time I took a package to their door (the mailman left it sitting by their mailbox and I knew she got medication in the mail so I took it over) she just took the box from me and closed the door, didn't even say thank you and I know thank you in ASL so even if she's deaf she's rude and ungrateful.

You seem to be projecting...I suspect they may just not like dealing with a self-righteous prick like you. People like you are the reason I live in the middle of nowhere.

Yeah, deliver a package to someone's door so it won't be stolen expecting nothing more than a thank you and I'm a self righteous prick....

You know, if my neighbors lived out in the middle of nowhere, I wouldn't mind how long they ran their generator.....

Last edited:

Forum List

Back