After all the Guard is just for cowards anyway , right?

After listening to you leftoids claim Bush was a coward for being a fighter pilot in the Air National Guard, I can see why Doctors wouldn't want to get labeled the same by you winners.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071203/ap_on_re_us/flight_surgeon_shortage

the guard has changed a lot since Vietnam...by their own admission, they were a dodge to avoid Nam.... I had several acquaintances fromn high school who joined the national guard for the express purpose of avoiding the jungles of southeast asia. Were they cowards? tough question. I would guess that, today, they would say that they had no desire to end their young lives in a war that didn't make any sense.

Only 7,000 or 8,000 national guard troops were deployed to Vietnam.

Was as close to a guarantee of not going as one could get. There was a draft then, so the guard wasn't needed.

Now, how many guardsmen got sent to Iraq again? :shock:

Only 7,000 or 8,000 national guard troops were deployed to Vietnam.

Was as close to a guarantee of not going as one could get. There was a draft then, so the guard wasn't needed.

Now, how many guardsmen got sent to Iraq again? :shock:

Actually, 23,000 National Guardsmen were called to active duty and 8,700 actually deployed to VN. The real guarantee of not going was to get a college deferrment.

You and MM ave now convinced me that anyone who joined the Guard after WW II and up to the mid 70s was a yellow bellied coward...thanks!

Actually, 23,000 National Guardsmen were called to active duty and 8,700 actually deployed to VN. The real guarantee of not going was to get a college deferrment.

You and MM ave now convinced me that anyone who joined the Guard after WW II and up to the mid 70s was a yellow bellied coward...thanks!

In my post I SAID that's how many went to Vietnam. And a college deferment wasn't a total guarantee..... I worked for someone who's college deferment got pulled by the FBI because of his anti-war activism. He failed the physical, though.

But you're also changing the subject, because the point was that in the Vietnam Era people jumped through lots of hoops to get into the guard to avoid Nam.

come on...don't put words in my mouth. :eusa_naughty:

I didn't say that and you know it.

From an excerpt adapted from Chapter II of The Air National Guard: A Short History, by Dr. Charles J. Gross, National Guard Bureau Historical Services Division, 1994.

"Vietnam revealed a negative aspect of relying on reservists. For largely domestic political reasons, President Johnson chose not to mobilize most of the nation's reserve forces. The 1968 callups were only token affairs. Johnson's decision to avoid a major reserve mobilization was opposed by the senior leadership of both the active duty military establishment and the reserve forces, but to no avail. The Reserves and the Guard acquired reputations as draft havens for relatively affluent young white men. Military leaders questioned the wisdom of depending on reserve forces that might not be available except in dire emergencies."

http://www.ang.af.mil/history/Forging.asp

In my post I SAID that's how many went to Vietnam. And a college deferment wasn't a total guarantee..... I worked for someone who's college deferment got pulled by the FBI because of his anti-war activism. He failed the physical, though.

But you're also changing the subject, because the point was that in the Vietnam Era people jumped through lots of hoops to get into the guard to avoid Nam.

Assumption on your part.

Joining the Guard was no guarantee one wouldn't go to Vietnam. Regardless the number, the fact remains Nat'l Guardsmen served in Vietnam. I grew up in the military during the Vietnam War era and I certainly never heard it labelled such.

The simplest solution is to expand the regular forces. The Guard serves at a higher percentage now than then because the active duty force is about 1/2 - 2/3s the size it was then.

I wasn't arguing with you over your numbers....in fact, I was verifying them and expanding on your assertions.

I am not changing the subject either; the implication (and by some posters...the assertion) is that Bush was a coward because he joined the Guard. MY point is that many got college deferments as well; some went to Canada....some went to Viet Nam.

I wasn't arguing with you over your numbers....in fact, I was verifying them and expanding on your assertions.

I am not changing the subject either; the implication (and by some posters...the assertion) is that Bush was a coward because he joined the Guard. MY point is that many got college deferments as well; some went to Canada....some went to Viet Nam.

Some lied to get deferrments then skipped the Country to England too.

the fact is: the guard's own literature acknowledges that it was a haven for rich white kids to avoid Nam.

Are THEY lying?

the fact is: the guard's own literature acknowledges that it was a haven for rich white kids to avoid Nam.

Are THEY lying?

WOW...how do you get acknowledgement from "acquired a reputation as..."??? It's not the Guard lying here but "somebody" is sure trying to be disingenuous!

WOW...how do you get acknowledgement from "acquired a reputation as..."??? It's not the Guard lying here but "somebody" is sure trying to be disingenuous!

not meant to be iningenuuous. I suppose you have a point if those rich white kids were all dumb as a box of rocks and found out, once in, that the Guard was a one way ticket to Nam... yet the reputation continued on.

not meant to be iningenuuous. I suppose you have a point if those rich white kids were all dumb as a box of rocks and found out, once in, that the Guard was a one way ticket to Nam... yet the reputation continued on.

You are unintentionally proving my point...

You specifically stated that "the fact is: the guard's own literature acknowledges that it was a haven for rich white kids to avoid Nam. " and what the literature ACTUALLY says is: "The Reserves and the Guard acquired reputations as draft havens for relatively affluent young white men." (bolding yours, I presume) .

To me there is a HUGE difference. I should also point out that many served during that time frame on active duty and NEVER went to VN so being active duty was not necessarily a sure ticket to VN either.

CSM: I think you and I are about the same age (born in 1950) I KNOW that many of my friends with low draft numbers were scrambling to find any enlistment alternatives other than getting drafted into the Army. It was generally acknowledged that if you were drafted, your chances of going to Vietnam were excellent. I know that the Navy of that time period was loaded with highly intelligent sailors. The level of intellect and aptitude was much higher than it was after the end of Vietnam when the Navy was not also seen as a service with very little - although certainly some - chance of service in country. If you were in the Guard and served in Vietnam, you were unlucky. If you couldn't figure some way out of getting drafted, you were even more unlucky.

CSM: I think you and I are about the same age (born in 1950) I KNOW that many of my friends with low draft numbers were scrambling to find any enlistment alternatives other than getting drafted into the Army. It was generally acknowledged that if you were drafted, your chances of going to Vietnam were excellent. I know that the Navy of that time period was loaded with highly intelligent sailors. The level of intellect and aptitude was much higher than it was after the end of Vietnam when the Navy was not also seen as a service with very little - although certainly some - chance of service in country. If you were in the Guard and served in Vietnam, you were unlucky. If you couldn't figure some way out of getting drafted, you were even more unlucky.

So all your friends were cowards? Thanks for clearing that up for us.

Forum List

Back