After a felon serves their sentence

So many think the violent arent level headed enough to own a gun but they are level headed enough to help set public policy lol

Not all violence is murder. Robbing a Quik Mart with an empty pistol is a form of gun violence. It hardly warrants a death sentence.

Well, perhaps not to someone who is on the side of violent criminals, and against that of law-abiding citizens.

As far as I am concerned, any crime which involves unjustifiable use or threat of deadly force ought to draw a death sentence.

Not all violence is murder. Robbing a Quik Mart with an empty pistol is a form of gun violence. It hardly warrants a death sentence.

Well, perhaps not to someone who is on the side of violent criminals, and against that of law-abiding citizens.

As far as I am concerned, any crime which involves unjustifiable use or threat of deadly force ought to draw a death sentence.
You sound like ISIS

Should they be able to own guns?
I ask because them being able to vote is all the rage now.
Shouldn't we be consistent in policy? Meaning all rights restored?
Theoretically yes. Unfortunately most inmates don’t actually do all their time and they are let out early and on probation. Our justice system is a joke and criminals are let out on the streets early.

Punishment needs to fit the crime

If you are a nonviolent felon, you should regain your right to vote and carry a gun once you have served your time

If you have committed a violent crime, rape, domestic abuse, armed robbery, you should forfeit your right to carry a gun again but should be allowed to vote once you have served your time
So rapists should have a say in public policy but someone who hit their gf shouldnt get back a constitutional right?

They should be allowed to vote for any candidate they choose. I am unaware of any candidates running on a pro-rape platform

Child rapists should not be allowed around children
All rapists should be denied guns
As should those convicted of domestic violence

Then you are picking and choosing. Either it's okay to have rights taken away or it isn't. If it is okay, and it has been, then what could be more important than voting?

Punishment needs to fit the crime

If you are a nonviolent felon, you should regain your right to vote and carry a gun once you have served your time

If you have committed a violent crime, rape, domestic abuse, armed robbery, you should forfeit your right to carry a gun again but should be allowed to vote once you have served your time
So rapists should have a say in public policy but someone who hit their gf shouldnt get back a constitutional right?

They should be allowed to vote for any candidate they choose. I am unaware of any candidates running on a pro-rape platform

Child rapists should not be allowed around children
All rapists should be denied guns
As should those convicted of domestic violence

Then you are picking and choosing. Either it's okay to have rights taken away or it isn't. If it is okay, and it has been, then what could be more important than voting?

Nothing wrong with picking and choosing

Make the punishment fit the crime
You lose certain rights when you go to prison and keep others

If they were nonviolent felons, they should be allowed to own guns
But voting is ok?

I never saw anyone try to rob a liquor store by threatening to vote

Perhaps, but here's the problem: When you allow felons to vote, it creates a new voting base. And what do politicians do to get votes? They pander to those bases.

Since most criminals are Democrats, the Democrat party will have platforms like reduction of prison sentences, making things legal that are currently illegal, making felonies misdemeanors, just pandering to the criminal element.

Criminals or ex-criminals having a power structure in our country via voting makes it more dangerous for all of us, and our children.

There is absolutely no justification for any government wielding so much power.

In fact by agreeing that the lenght of prison sentences should vary according to the crime a person implicitly agrees with the assertion that the rights of a citizen can be taken away and restored on a case by case bases.

The word is "basis",
Sorry about that. I was on my phone, which is set to Dutch and sometimes the autocorrect plays tricks on me.
He is a dick. Dont pay any attention to him. Typos happen.
I don't mind admitting to mistakes, even typos. I don't feel it's inappropriate to mention them to people, as long is it not a tactic to avoid talking about the premise of something. Admiral didn't engage the premise with me to begin with, so I took it at face value.
75 percent of his posts are grammar correction. Its annoying lol

That's because you are functionally illiterate.

Voting fraud
The whole point of voting fraud is voting when you are not allowed to. Don't see how that is influenced by being allowed to vote. Also a pretty big stretch in my opinion.

I think you agree with my phedophile example right? If you do you recognize that when you have committed certain crimes it is justified by society to lay certain restriction on you for public safety.

I think, altough with less certainty that you agree that the crime should fit the punishment and that after a certain time certain rights should be restored?

If you acknowledge both those things than you should acknowledge that it's all circumstancial. And that you can not universally restore all rights to citizens who committed a crime, or conversely universally deprive people of all rights.
In fact by agreeing that the lenght of prison sentences should vary according to the crime a person implicitly agrees with the assertion that the rights of a citizen can be taken away and restored on a case by case bases.

The word is "basis",
Sorry about that. I was on my phone, which is set to Dutch and sometimes the autocorrect plays tricks on me.

You apparently don't know the difference in typos and word choice.

The word is "basis",
I don't mind admitting to mistakes, even typos. I don't feel it's inappropriate to mention them to people, as long is it not a tactic to avoid talking about the premise of something. Admiral didn't engage the premise with me to begin with, so I took it at face value.
75 percent of his posts are grammar correction. Its annoying lol

That's because you are functionally illiterate.
Hsudur dudidie didhdbeid duj

The whole point of voting fraud is voting when you are not allowed to. Don't see how that is influenced by being allowed to vote. Also a pretty big stretch in my opinion.

I think you agree with my phedophile example right? If you do you recognize that when you have committed certain crimes it is justified by society to lay certain restriction on you for public safety.

I think, altough with less certainty that you agree that the crime should fit the punishment and that after a certain time certain rights should be restored?

If you acknowledge both those things than you should acknowledge that it's all circumstancial. And that you can not universally restore all rights to citizens who committed a crime, or conversely universally deprive people of all rights.

The word is "basis",

You apparently don't know the difference in typos and word choice.
Auto correct sometimes picks it's own words. Some people also have a life and dont pay too much attention to grammar on an anonymous message board.

Depends on the crime.

Violent crime first time offenders after so many years, sure.

Multiple offenses, no.

Treating all convicts equally would be a bad move for public safety.

Convicts can apply to have their records expunged and presumably all their rights returned.

I don't really know, seems something that you need to look at in a case by case bases.

I don't see how you can universally state that a felon should have his rights fully restored.

You give the example of guns, I'll give the examples of phedophiles. Should someone convicted of something like that be allowed to own a daycare center for instance. I would argue it's a safety issue to not allow it.

Same can be said for gun ownership. Someone with a history of violence no. A guy jailed for a non-violent crime... Probably. The thing is voting has no public safety questions. Gun ownership does.

I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of convicted felons would vote for Democrats. One because there is a large percentage of African Americans and secondly because Democrats support, or at the very least don't pursue, criminal behavior. (see NY not arresting people for petty crimes) Also, felons are typically poor, which is the Democrats demographic.

So in short, yes there is a safety issue...voting for Democrats.

Treating all convicts equally would be a bad move for public safety.

Convicts can apply to have their records expunged and presumably all their rights returned.
So some should be punished for their rest of their life? Even after their sentence is served?

i still go with no....all rights should not be restored... are guns a right or a fucking privilege ...i think voting is a right and owning a gun is a privilege
You would have that backward then. If the government has to give it to you -- voting -- then it is a privilege.

The government does not grant me the right to own a gun.

There is no legal basis for treating anyone differently after they get out of prison.
You can not have a multi tiered society and claim it is a democratic republic, except juveniles.
Once a person is released from custody, then they must has all rights back again.
If the person is still a danger, then you don't let them out.
You do a mental evaluation and commit them for emotional instability or something.
The idea you can prevent people from voting, possessing a firearm, etc., is insane, illegal, and reprehensible.

i still go with no....all rights should not be restored... are guns a right or a fucking privilege ...i think voting is a right and owning a gun is a privilege
You would have that backward then. If the government has to give it to you -- voting -- then it is a privilege.

The government does not grant me the right to own a gun.

I agree that the right to own a gun is based on the right of defense is superior to any privilege government can give.
But I disagree that voting is a privilege created by government.
You create government by voting, so then voting has to precede government, and not be a privilege created by government.
And not letting a felon vote while still making him pay taxes is taxation without representation, and is illegal.
Every one has the inherent right to vote and be represented.

Forum List

Back