Afshaq Kayani, Pakistan Army Chief, Warns U.S. To Focus On Afghanistan

Pak leaders at each other's throats...
:eusa_shifty:
Crisis in Pak: Gilani sacks defence secy, army warns PM
Jan 11, 2012: A confrontation between the army and the government came to a head in Pakistan on Wednesday with the powerful army chief warning that the Prime Minister's critical remarks against him and the ISI chief over the memo scandal could have "very serious ramifications" for the country.
Reacting sharply to Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani's contention that the army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani and ISI chief Lt Gen Ahmed Shuja Pasha had acted in an illegal manner in the memo scandal, a terse army statement said these remarks could have "very serious ramifications with potentially grievous consequences". "There can be no allegation more serious than what the honourable prime minister has levelled against COAS and DG ISI (army chief and spy chief) and has unfortunately charged the officers for violation of the constitution of the country," said the army's statement. "This has very serious ramifications with potentially grievous consequences for the country."

Just minutes after the strongly worded warning by the army, Gilani sacked defence secretary Lt Gen (retired) Khalid Naeem Lodhi, considered close to the army chief, marking an escalation in the row. The fast-paced developments came as the government was on a collision course with the judiciary too, with the Supreme Court warning yesterday that action could be taken against both the President and Prime Minister for failing to act on a court order to reopen corruption case against President Asif Ali Zardari. Earlier, Zardari made it clear that he did not intend to resign even as an urgent session of parliament has been called to consider the situation. Zardari through his spokesman refuted reports that he had offered to resign at a meeting of his Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) and its allies late last night.

Two days after Gilani had said that the army and ISI chiefs had filed affidavits on the memo issue in the Supreme Court without obtaining the government's permission, the powerful military said there could be "no allegation more serious" than that made by the premier. Gilani had made the remarks during an interview with the online edition of China's state-run People's Daily on Monday. He said replies filed by army chief Kayani and ISI chief Pasha to the Supreme Court in connection with the alleged memo did not have the approval of the competent authority as required under the rules of business. He further said no formal proposal seeking the approval of the competent authority for these two replies was initiated by the defence ministry.

MORE

See also:

Monitoring situation in Pakistan: US
Jan 12, 2012 WASHINGTON: The United States has said it is monitoring the situation in Pakistan and reiterated its commitment to a civilian-led democracy there.
The strong statement in support of the civilian government gains significance in the wake of the increased tension between the government led by the President, Asif Ali Zardari, and the Pakistani military led by its army chief, Gen Ashfaq Pervez Kayani. This has given rise to speculation of another military coup in Pakistan, which since it gained its independence in 1947 has been ruled by the Army for majority of the years. "We support a civilian-led government, we have strong relations with the Pakistani military as well, and we want to see the parties work well together - this is a matter for Pakistan to settle.

I don't think it's appropriate for the United States to be in the middle of it," the State Department spokesperson, Victoria Nuland, told reporters during an off camera news conference yesterday. The US Embassy in Islamabad, led by the Ambassador, Cameron Munter, is in constant touch with leaders of Pakistan, she said. "We continue to have broad contacts with the Pakistani leadership. Ambassador Munter is in country. He's seeing a broad cross-section of people. We have said that we are ready to discuss the parliamentary report when they are ready to discuss it with us," Nuland said.

Responding to questions on the tension between the Pak army and the civilian government, Nuland said this is an internal matter of Pakistan. "With regard to some of the press reporting we've seen in recent days it's obviously an internal matter for Pakistan to settle. We are monitoring it. We want to see all parties in Pakistan behave in a manner consistent with Pakistan's constitution, with its democratic processes, civil discourse, et cetera," she said.

Source

'Numbskull' runnin' India...
Future of Pakistani president unsure
Fri, Jan 13, 2012 - MR 10 PERCENT: Some Western officials have decided that Zardari lacks the mettle to lead Pakistan. The former chief of the British Defence Staff Jock Stirrup called him ‘a numbskull’
Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari, under threat from a memo seeking US help in preventing a coup by Pakistan’s powerful generals, has never managed to dispel the notion he is an accidental president. Zardari was elected in 2008 on the back of a sympathy vote after his far more charismatic wife, former Pakistani prime minister Benazir Bhutto, was assassinated shortly after returning from self-exile late the previous year. His rule has been a rocky one ever since and his relationship with the country’s most powerful institution — the military — has become increasingly strained. The public spilt between his civilian government and the military widened this week after Pakistani Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani sacked a top defense bureaucrat, prompting the military to warn of “grievous consequences.”

Speculation has been rife since Zardari’s return from medical -treatment in Dubai last month that he would step down in the face of pressure from the military. Military sources said that while they would dearly like Zardari to go, it should be through constitutional means, not another of the coups that have marked Pakistan’s almost 65 years of independence. One route could be the memo, into whose origins the Pakistani Supreme Court has ordered an investigation. If a link with him is shown, it would likely cost Zardari his job and throw an already unstable Pakistan into greater turmoil. The Supreme Court has also threatened his party’s government with contempt proceedings that could lead to the fall of senior officials including the prime minister if it does not take action on long-standing corruption cases against Zardari.

Zardari, long plagued by accusations of rampant graft, has never connected with Pakistanis in the way his wife did. That was all too clear when epic floods raged through the nation in 2010, inundating 20 percent of the country and making millions homeless. The president set off on a trip to Europe as the disaster was unfolding and made no immediate effort to return home. While in France, Zardari visited a chateau he owns in Normandy. The election of Bhutto’s Pakistan People’s Party (PPP), which has long opposed military involvement in politics, in 2008, raised hopes the nation could shake off the legacy of decades of intermittent army rule and turn back a rising tide of Islamist militancy.

However, Zardari has failed to deliver since then, dismissed as an uncaring playboy — another feudal landlord who ignores the needs of the masses — while Pakistan lurched from crisis to crisis, from crippling power cuts to suicide bombings. He has always appeared to lack the political resolve to push through reforms that could help the fragile economy and make it less dependent on foreign aid. However, while his job as president has become largely ceremonial, his leadership of the ruling PPP gives him strong political influence. Some Western officials concluded early on that he lacked the skills to lead a country seen as critical to Washington’s global efforts to tackle militancy. In a 2008 diplomatic cable carried by WikiLeaks, then-chief of the British Defence Staff Jock Stirrup said Zardari was “clearly a numbskull.”

MORE

Let's bring an army coup now !!

Isn't the Pakistani army also infiltrated by Islamists sami? man I feel sorry for the normal hard working Pakistanis that have to deal with this bullshit on a daily basis.

Well, that's so true. Just so difficult to breathe everyday ...

I am so sorry to hear that, I know I give Pakistan alot of shit on these boards but I do know there are alot of hard working normal Pakistanis out there, its just that the Islamists are gaining alot of power and influence in Pakistan right now and drowning them out.

Isn't the Pakistani army also infiltrated by Islamists sami? man I feel sorry for the normal hard working Pakistanis that have to deal with this bullshit on a daily basis.

I am so sorry to hear that, I know I give Pakistan alot of shit on these boards but I do know there are alot of hard working normal Pakistanis out there, its just that the Islamists are gaining alot of power and influence in Pakistan right now and drowning them out.

I, myself, give a shit to this shit-h888 government that's ruining the Pakistan. I better pray may this country get ruined asap and that islamic clerics don't take over the command of this country or else I won't show up on USMB anymore but in a video on YouTube. :)

'Numbskull' runnin' India...
Future of Pakistani president unsure
Fri, Jan 13, 2012 - MR 10 PERCENT: Some Western officials have decided that Zardari lacks the mettle to lead Pakistan. The former chief of the British Defence Staff Jock Stirrup called him ‘a numbskull’
Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari, under threat from a memo seeking US help in preventing a coup by Pakistan’s powerful generals, has never managed to dispel the notion he is an accidental president. Zardari was elected in 2008 on the back of a sympathy vote after his far more charismatic wife, former Pakistani prime minister Benazir Bhutto, was assassinated shortly after returning from self-exile late the previous year. His rule has been a rocky one ever since and his relationship with the country’s most powerful institution — the military — has become increasingly strained. The public spilt between his civilian government and the military widened this week after Pakistani Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani sacked a top defense bureaucrat, prompting the military to warn of “grievous consequences.”

Speculation has been rife since Zardari’s return from medical -treatment in Dubai last month that he would step down in the face of pressure from the military. Military sources said that while they would dearly like Zardari to go, it should be through constitutional means, not another of the coups that have marked Pakistan’s almost 65 years of independence. One route could be the memo, into whose origins the Pakistani Supreme Court has ordered an investigation. If a link with him is shown, it would likely cost Zardari his job and throw an already unstable Pakistan into greater turmoil. The Supreme Court has also threatened his party’s government with contempt proceedings that could lead to the fall of senior officials including the prime minister if it does not take action on long-standing corruption cases against Zardari.

Zardari, long plagued by accusations of rampant graft, has never connected with Pakistanis in the way his wife did. That was all too clear when epic floods raged through the nation in 2010, inundating 20 percent of the country and making millions homeless. The president set off on a trip to Europe as the disaster was unfolding and made no immediate effort to return home. While in France, Zardari visited a chateau he owns in Normandy. The election of Bhutto’s Pakistan People’s Party (PPP), which has long opposed military involvement in politics, in 2008, raised hopes the nation could shake off the legacy of decades of intermittent army rule and turn back a rising tide of Islamist militancy.

However, Zardari has failed to deliver since then, dismissed as an uncaring playboy — another feudal landlord who ignores the needs of the masses — while Pakistan lurched from crisis to crisis, from crippling power cuts to suicide bombings. He has always appeared to lack the political resolve to push through reforms that could help the fragile economy and make it less dependent on foreign aid. However, while his job as president has become largely ceremonial, his leadership of the ruling PPP gives him strong political influence. Some Western officials concluded early on that he lacked the skills to lead a country seen as critical to Washington’s global efforts to tackle militancy. In a 2008 diplomatic cable carried by WikiLeaks, then-chief of the British Defence Staff Jock Stirrup said Zardari was “clearly a numbskull.”

MORE

Why the crime-rate is so high in Pakistan that long power outages, everyday and low supply of natural gas which has crippled down the industrial units throughout the country, people are jobless and they're opted to do robbery, get joined by the militant groups to gain money.

I, myself, give a shit to this shit-h888 government that's ruining the Pakistan. I better pray may this country get ruined asap and that islamic clerics don't take over the command of this country or else I won't show up on USMB anymore but in a video on YouTube. :)

You ever think of leaving the country?

You ever think of leaving the country?

I want to but lack of resources ...

What, me worry?...
:confused:
Asif Ali Zardari leaves for Dubai amidst crisis in Pakistan
Jan 12, 2012: Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari on Thursday departed on a one-day private visit to Dubai amidst a standoff between the civilian government and the powerful military on the memo scandal.
News of Zardari's departure was flashed this afternoon by TV news channels. There was no immediate word on the visit from the presidency. Sources told PTI that Zardari was expected to attend a wedding in Dubai, where he has a private residence. Several senior government officials are also expected to attend the same wedding.

This is Zardari's second visit to Dubai since the memo issue triggered a confrontation between the government and the military. He travelled to Dubai on December 6 and remained there for nearly a fortnight for treatment of a heart condition.

That trip had triggered rampant speculation that Zardari was under pressure from the military to step down. Since then, Zardari has made it clear that he has no intention of quitting as president. The current political crisis began when Pakistani- American businessman Mansoor Ijaz made public an alleged memo that sought US help to prevent a military coup after the killing of Osama bin Laden in Pakistan in May last year.

The government has dismissed the memo as a "piece of paper" and said the president and prime minister played no role in drafting or delivering it to former US military chief Admiral Mike Mullen. The army and ISI chiefs urged the Supreme Court to order an investigation into the scandal. The apex court formed a three-judge commission to investigate the memo issue and submit its findings in four weeks.

Source

See also:

'Panicky' Pakistan PM Gilani called UK, fearing coup: Officials
Jan 13, 2012: Pakistan's prime minister telephoned the top British diplomat in the country this week expressing fears that the Pakistani army might be about to stage a coup, a British official and an official in Islamabad said on Friday.
The call, which one official said was "panicky", suggests there was-or perhaps still is-a genuine fear at the highest level of the Pakistani government that army might carry out a coup or support possible moves by the Supreme Court to topple the civilian leadership. Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani asked High Commissioner Adam Thomson for Britain to support his embattled government, according to the officials, who didn't give their names because of the sensitivity of the issue. It's unclear if the British government took any action.

Such is the weakness of state institutions, Pakistani leaders have often looked to foreign powers, especially the United States and Gulf countries, to intervene in domestic affairs, mediate disputes between feuding power centers or "guarantee" agreements between them. The army, which has staged four coups in Pakistan's history and is believed to consider itself the only true custodian of the country's interests, has never liked the civilian government headed by Gilani and President Asif Ali Zardari.

But a scandal that erupted late last year, which centered on an unsigned memo sent to Washington asking for its help in heading off a supposed coup following the US raid that killed Osama bin Laden, has brought the army and civilian government into near-open confrontation. While most analysts say army chief General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani has little appetite for a coup, they say the generals may be happy to allow the Supreme Court to dismiss the government by "constitutional means.''

A Supreme Court commission is probing the memo affair, which in theory could lead to Zardari's ouster. The court has also ordered the government to open corruption investigations into Zardari dating back years. The government has refused. Earlier this week, the court said it could dismiss Zardari and Prime Minister Yousuf Reza Gilani over the case. Judges are convening Monday for what could be a decisive session.

MORE

What is really surprising that Pakistan Army has always been stronger than the democratically elected government. SO how come Kiyani has not started the coup yet? the country is suffering economically. May be there is a pact between Army, ISI and an ex- sport star from Pakistan (Imran Khan).. so if the general elections are help now, the Imran Khan's party will form a clear majority and the ARMY and others will be able to work in tandem.

But the question still remains if it happens also, China has not been giving the financial aids to Pakistan, they are trying to even tap the little market they can get in Pakistan. The roads are being built by Chinese companies, so they are taking the money away from Pakistan, not giving something.. I had read that few months back the Chinese had provided some Railway Engines to Pakistan for free, which eventfully failed (I had read that all of them failed!!).. Which ever party comes to power, I think that party should work for the betterment and upliftment.. not running after the weapons.. trust me, India is a better growing economy and will never risk a was with Pakistan as Pakistan has nothing and India has everything to lose!!!

What is really surprising that Pakistan Army has always been stronger than the democratically elected government. SO how come Kiyani has not started the coup yet? the country is suffering economically. May be there is a pact between Army, ISI and an ex- sport star from Pakistan (Imran Khan).. so if the general elections are help now, the Imran Khan's party will form a clear majority and the ARMY and others will be able to work in tandem.

But the question still remains if it happens also, China has not been giving the financial aids to Pakistan, they are trying to even tap the little market they can get in Pakistan. The roads are being built by Chinese companies, so they are taking the money away from Pakistan, not giving something.. I had read that few months back the Chinese had provided some Railway Engines to Pakistan for free, which eventfully failed (I had read that all of them failed!!).. Which ever party comes to power, I think that party should work for the betterment and upliftment.. not running after the weapons.. trust me, India is a better growing economy and will never risk a was with Pakistan as Pakistan has nothing and India has everything to lose!!!

I agree with you. India won't risk a war with us. It well-developing country and Pakistan is a piece of shit. No country would risk a war with Pakistan as of they can't get anything out of Pakistan but the dirt.

Thanks Daniel on highlighting about the current scenario of Pakistan :)

I agree with you. India won't risk a war with us. It well-developing country and Pakistan is a piece of shit. No country would risk a war with Pakistan as of they can't get anything out of Pakistan but the dirt.

Actually the thing is that India is moving in the right direction. The ever increasing population is turning out to be an asset for for them, where as Pakistani's I have personally felt that they can be very easily manipulated with religion. They are ready to run after the religion even at the cost of ruining themselves. I am a firm believer in my religion, but not to the level of fanaticism.

TO keep us with the modern times they need to adapt technology, and move with the times. There is nothing wrong with that. One cannot expect Democracy or a Military regime to have a magic wand and if Imran Khan's party comes to power everything is going to be alright. I think moving with time by keeping your religion as a support always help.

Actually the thing is that India is moving in the right direction. The ever increasing population is turning out to be an asset for for them, where as Pakistani's I have personally felt that they can be very easily manipulated with religion. They are ready to run after the religion even at the cost of ruining themselves. I am a firm believer in my religion, but not to the level of fanaticism.

TO keep us with the modern times they need to adapt technology, and move with the times. There is nothing wrong with that. One cannot expect Democracy or a Military regime to have a magic wand and if Imran Khan's party comes to power everything is going to be alright. I think moving with time by keeping your religion as a support always help.

You are so right. Religion is used to keep Pakistanis off of the progress, ability to think out of the box. Easily manipulated population. Nothing is going to change unless the people of Pakistan don't change themselves to follow the technology, follow the trends of time.

I hate extremism and I want everyone is lived here in Pakistan with peace even though they are in touch with their religious activities or not. I say to my people; Don't be a judge yourself to justify for other peoples' doings.

Thanks again Daniel :)

Now we know the real reason why Iran is so interested in Afghanistan...
US reportedly monitoring Iran's efforts to fuel unrest in Afghanistan
April 05, 2012 | WASHINGTON – US intelligence agencies are increasing their attention on state-sponsored terrorism amid revelations that Iran is working behind the scenes to fuel unrest and anti-American sentiment in Afghanistan.
According to US officials cited by The New York Times on Wednesday, Tehran ordered its undercover agents in Afghanistan to exploit public anger that erupted in the wake of February's Koran burning incident -- which saw American soldiers accidentally burn copies of the Muslim holy book seized from an Afghan detention center. The incident sparked demonstrations across the country -- with seven people killed and 65 injured in Herat province, near the Iranian border. It was believed that agents working for Tehran had played some part in provoking the unrest in Herat. "Our sense is that Iran could do more if they chose to," senior allied commander in Afghanistan, Gen. John R. Allen, told Congress in a recent testimony about the overall threat from Iran. "But they have not, and we watch the activity and the relationships very closely," Allen said.

The Iranian Embassy in Kabul had "a very active" agenda of triggering anti-American sentiment, a US government official told the Times, adding that it was uncertain if Tehran was deliberately limiting its activities or was incapable of conducting operations that could cause more harm. Among its operations was an alleged attempt to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to the US last October, and an alleged attempt to attack Israeli diplomats stationed in Georgia and India earlier this year. "The attacks failed, so clearly there are kinks in Iran's planning and trade craft," a US official said.

Tehran has repeatedly denied that it backs efforts to fuel unrest in Afghanistan and elsewhere in the region, but US officials say Iran is boosting its influence by a series of measures -- including building schools in Afghanistan, training and arming Afghan insurgents, providing rebels and selected political figures in Yemen with weapons, and advising President Bashar al Assad's government in Syria.

US attention was now focused on if and when Iran decides to up the ante. Allen told Congress that NATO forces were on the lookout for the possibility that Tehran might begin to channel more advanced weapons into the region. Of particular concern is the explosively formed projectile (E.F.P.) which can pierce US military armored vehicles. "So we're going to keep a very close eye on those signature weapons," Allen said, "because we think that that will be an indicator of Iran's desire to up the ante, in which case we'll have to take other actions."

Read more: US Reportedly Monitoring Iran's Efforts To Fuel Unrest In Afghanistan | Fox News

See also:

Afghanistan sees rise in ‘dancing boys’ exploitation
4 Apr.`12 - Growing number of Afghan boys being coerced into a life of sexual abuse; Things were better under the Taliban
The 9-year-old boy with pale skin and big, piercing eyes captivated Mirzahan at first sight. “He is more handsome than anyone in the village,” the 22-year-old farmer said, explaining why he is grooming the boy as a sexual partner and companion. There was another important factor that made Waheed easy to take on as a bacha bazi, or a boy for pleasure: “He doesn’t have a father, so there is no one to stop this.”

A growing number of Afghan children are being coerced into a life of sexual abuse. The practice of wealthy or prominent Afghans exploiting underage boys as sexual partners who are often dressed up as women to dance at gatherings is on the rise in post-Taliban Afghanistan, according to Afghan human rights researchers, Western officials and men who participate in the abuse. “Like it or not, there was better rule of law under the Taliban,” said Dee Brillenburg Wurth, a child-protection expert at the U.N. mission in Afghanistan, who has sought to persuade the government to address the problem. “They saw it as a sin, and they stopped a lot of it.”

Over the past decade, the phenomenon has flourished in Pashtun areas in the south, in several northern provinces and even in the capital, according to Afghans who engage in the practice or have studied it. Although issues such as women’s rights and moral crimes have attracted a flood of donor aid and activism in recent years, bacha bazi remains poorly understood. The State Department has mentioned the practice — which is illegal here, as it would be in most countries — in its annual human rights reports. The 2010 report said members of Afghanistan’s security forces, who receive training and weapons from the U.S.-led coalition, sexually abused boys “in an environment of criminal impunity.”

But by and large, foreign powers in Afghanistan have refrained from drawing attention to the issue. There are no reliable statistics on the extent of the problem. “It is very sensitive and taboo in Afghanistan,” said Hayatullah Jawad, head of the Afghan Human Rights Research and Advocacy Organization, who is based in the northern city of Mazar-e Sharif. “There are a lot of people involved in this case, but no one wants to talk about it.”

An open secret

You are so right. Religion is used to keep Pakistanis off of the progress, ability to think out of the box. Easily manipulated population. Nothing is going to change unless the people of Pakistan don't change themselves to follow the technology, follow the trends of time.

I hate extremism and I want everyone is lived here in Pakistan with peace even though they are in touch with their religious activities or not. I say to my people; Don't be a judge yourself to justify for other peoples' doings.

Adeel the Pakistanis I met abroad are very intelligent people, I am surprised the fanatics have such a grip on the people in that country.

Adeel the Pakistanis I met abroad are very intelligent people, I am surprised the fanatics have such a grip on the people in that country.

They surely be the intelligent as they live in the west. Back in Pakistan, if fortunately one is intelligent, is labelled western-pro, son of English man, etc. Slangs are commonly used for that particular person.

They surely be the intelligent as they live in the west. Back in Pakistan, if fortunately one is intelligent, is labelled western-pro, son of English man, etc. Slangs are commonly used for that particular person.

Why would an intelligent person follow a bogus religion invented by a pedophile Rab who married a 6 year old girl when he was 53 and who married his former daughter in law? Islime is a complete scam

Forum List

Back