Africentric Curriculum

LogikAndReazon

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2012
First came that menstrually segregated “mosqueteria.” Then their Che Guevara lesson plan. Has the always entertaining Toronto District School Board outdone itself with its newly uncovered “Africentric Approach to Teaching Mathematics, Science, and Technology”?

Some of you are tsk-tsking, “You mean Afrocentric!” with an almost audible sniff.

Shows what you know.

Progressives delight in constantly and arbitrarily reengineering the English language. This rigged game of musical chairs ensures that we reactionary racist rubes always land on our rhetorical butts.

So when black Torontonians and their liberal enablers started clamoring for “Africentric” schools a few years back, the local paper was obliged to run a helpful sidebar explaining why the right word wasn’t “Afrocentric” anymore:

“t’s African-centered education, and there is no “o” in the word Africa,” said Dr. Patrick Kakembo, director of the African Canadian Services in Nova Scotia. “Why should it be Afro? That’s a hair-do.”

Now you know.

Anyhow: What does an “Africentric” curriculum look like?

Please share this article by using the link below. When you cut and paste an article, Taki's Magazine misses out on traffic, and our writers don't get paid for their work. Email [email protected] to buy additional rights. 4+3 Be What? - Taki's Magazine

Americas is full of stupid Black and white people.No wonder this country is so fugged up.

First came that menstrually segregated “mosqueteria.” Then their Che Guevara lesson plan. Has the always entertaining Toronto District School Board outdone itself with its newly uncovered “Africentric Approach to Teaching Mathematics, Science, and Technology”?

Some of you are tsk-tsking, “You mean Afrocentric!” with an almost audible sniff.

Shows what you know.

Progressives delight in constantly and arbitrarily reengineering the English language. This rigged game of musical chairs ensures that we reactionary racist rubes always land on our rhetorical butts.

So when black Torontonians and their liberal enablers started clamoring for “Africentric” schools a few years back, the local paper was obliged to run a helpful sidebar explaining why the right word wasn’t “Afrocentric” anymore:

“t’s African-centered education, and there is no “o” in the word Africa,” said Dr. Patrick Kakembo, director of the African Canadian Services in Nova Scotia. “Why should it be Afro? That’s a hair-do.”

Now you know.

Please share this article by using the link below. When you cut and paste an article, Taki's Magazine misses out on traffic, and our writers don't get paid for their work. Email [email protected] to buy additional rights. 4+3 Be What? - Taki's Magazine

poor Toronto. they expected the influx of carribean blacks would would assimilate like other groups of immigrants but instead they got gun violence and students that couldnt be educated. they had to do away with zero tolerance for violence in the schools because of disparate racial outcomes, and when they wanted to try separate schools for blacks they were branded racists. of course this also happens elsewhere around the world but Canadians really thought that they could do better than those racist americans and their history of slavery and jim crow

Shows what you know.

Now you know.

years ago when I was a substitute teacher, an elementary school was going to have an after school meeting concerning "how to make the classroom more afrocentric"

The goal was to make the clasroom, materials and curriculum more accessible to african americans

strategies such as
more visual presentations
stories concerning famous african americans
pics of famous AA in the classroom

and others I have since forgotten

It was during a time when "closing the achievement gap" was the flavor of the month
now it's raising test scores and data collection

Last edited:
years ago when I was a substitute teacher, an elementary school was going to have an after school meeting concerning "how to make the classroom more afrocentric"

The goal was to make the clasroom, materials and curriculum more accessible to african americans

strategies such as

It was during a time when "closing the achievement gap" was the flavor of the month

My high school is the lowest performing in the county. A school system though in which the graduation rate is the second highest in the country. That makes the pressure on our principal to raise scores enormous. Three or so years ago she directed us to close the achievement gap and to "bring everyone up to the level of the white kids."

The achievement gap did tighten a bit but the overall scores came down. Now, as you pointed out, the focus is on raising scores. My school's boundaries cross socio-economic lines dramatically. The lower the scores go, the more the affluent kids leave for private school. We are in a downward spiral.

I know the OP is about blacks but my school is the system's most diverse with 60 something nationalities represented. Some of our students speak litttle to poor English which is one of their main barriers to learning.

strategies such as

My high school is the lowest performing in the county. A school system though in which the graduation rate is the second highest in the country. That makes the pressure on our principal to raise scores enormous. Three or so years ago she directed us to close the achievement gap and to "bring everyone up to the level of the white kids."

The achievement gap did tighten a bit but the overall scores came down. Now, as you pointed out, the focus is on raising scores. My school's boundaries cross socio-economic lines dramatically. The lower the scores go, the more the affluent kids leave for private school. We are in a downward spiral.

I know the OP is about blacks but my school is the system's most diverse with 60 something nationalities represented. Some of our students speak litttle to poor English which is one of their main barriers to learning.

I'm in a school that has better than 90% pass rate at first try. Most of the ones that fail the tests pass on the 2nd try b/c the teachers are so good at remediation. The school cluster is also affluent. The minorities are mostly 2nd generation Indian. asian and middle eastern. Their work ethic is high and their culture values education.

What boils my oil is that if a student is say black, free and reduced lunch, on an IEP and ELL you could take a hit on 4 categories at once.

Our jobs are not in danger over test scores, but we haven't had a raise in 3 years or so. No step increases. Im still driving a 1997. Kids drive into the student lot with newer more expenve cars like beemers and benz.

A couple years back one of the kids was upset b/c his dad made him drive the BMW to school instead of the hummer.

Boo friggin hoo.

You could prolly take my house off its foundation and drop it inside of most of the houses of the families around the area and still have room to spare.

I can't afford to live in the school district where I work.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back