AveryJarhman

Gold Member
Jul 11, 2015
ny
After spending twelve years in the 80s-90s providing police services to the Brooklyn community Shawn Jay Z Carter raps about using his semi-auto “Mack Milli" to dominate and cause fear to peaceful people for the purpose of protecting his gang’s 24/7 drug operation, it was fear for my personal safety and emotional well being that finally drove me from a community I considered my second home because I spent so much time there, .

Sadly, I have few doubts that some Americans fail to perceive or willfully ignore some reasons for why at times, police are less than professional or act in a manner inconsistent with their scope of employment.

Not that I believe police acting outside the scope of their employment is acceptable, I just understand that witnessing on a daily basis – violence, people’s lack of respect for each other as well as our laws, sadness, children emotionally scarred by their immature single-moms; doomed to a life of struggle and hardships – can have detrimental effects on many people born or imbued with a sense of sympathy, empathy and respect for others.

Some officers recognize they are burnt, they no longer feel a desire to serve a community that has diminished their faith in the goodness of human kind, a community that constantly has them in self-protection mode whenever they are working in the community, or even commuting to and from the community in their private cars.

These officers intelligently seek a transfer to a more stable community, while others remain, mostly because of established friendships with colleagues, allowing and in some cases not realizing the emotional pain they experience from witnessing human suffering on a daily basis is insidiously eating away at them, and at times affecting their professional conduct and in some cases their emotional well being.

During the hiring process we subject police candidates to psychological exams to insure they are normal stable people. Then we place these normal, stable people into an environment they are totally unaccustomed to, often dangerous environments, and we expect them to remain normal people when they are constantly and justifiably told by their supervisors to be safe, while reading crime reports that indicate they are not safe.

Sure, these officers are not in a war or battle, yet the chances for stumbling upon a gunfight or being attacked for no reason are greater in a community with a general flavor for lawlessness.

One sunny afternoon I was at the scene of a shooting, surrounded by dozens of civilians and a dozen or more cops, when a second person was shot no more than one hundred yards away. Tell me that would not give you goosebumps.

This anecdote is a tip of the iceberg.

One afternoon I’m on my way home stopped at a traffic light when gunfire erupts, three men carrying handguns run by me, enter a waiting town car.

Risking my safety I follow in my pvt car attempting to learn more about the suspects as they unobtrusively leave the scene. They stop at a house about ten blocks away, me not being a hero willing to confront three armed men with my two-inch six shot revolver, spend several minutes trying to locate a working payphone to report my observations.

Heading back to the scene I learn the three people shot, their neighbors who at the time of the shooting were hanging on their front stoops, provided the police with NO information about the shooting or the shooters, I was the only witness to come forward, and it isn’t even my community.

While at the scene, the same town car I observed picking up the shooters several minutes earlier, arrives back on the scene operated by a man we detained and soon learned was wanted for a totally unrelated shooting that occurred a few weeks earlier.

Driving home that night I asked myself, “Why do I do this? Five, sometimes six days a week making this long drive, placing my emotional well being and physical safety at risk for people who either hate me, or people justifiably afraid and equally fearful of the people who hate me.”

A few days later I went to my CO and requested a transfer, advising him, “Lou, I’ve had enough of the nonsense, it’s time for me to go.”

Within a week he hooked me up with a transfer to a more stable community, closer to home. A community where fewer people viewed me as the enemy, and many actually openly appreciated the police, sharing words of appreciation often harshly frowned upon by many in the Brooklyn community I was forced to abandon, due to my level of fear and anxiety that gradually built up and intensified over a period of nearly twelve years.

I knew when I had enough of the emotional turmoil I experienced from witnessing mayhem and violence on a daily basis. I made the intelligent choice to protect my emotional well being by leaving this Brooklyn community which was the cause for my fear and anxiety.

Unfortunately some cops ignore the signs of stress and anxiety, indicating that it is time for a change of venue, instead choosing to remain in their second homes where they have built friendships and bonds.

I fear nothing will change until Americans honestly recognize that bringing children into our world without first acquiring the skills to properly love and nurture a child, or having the skills or means to independently provide for a child’s upbringing, may result in a child growing up filled with anger and frustrations, needing to vent those emotions, sadly, not in a constructive manner.

This is a social/human behavioral problem I’ve witnessed happening for decades in some/many American communities.

Unfortunately for police, they are tasked with coping with the anger and frustrations of children irresponsibly introduced to our world by people who had no socially accepted right making babies before acquiring the skills, PATIENCE and means to provide their developing newborns, infants, toddlers, children and teens with a safe, fairly happy American kid childhood.

Sadly, Baltimore Mom of The Year is a perfect example of a immature teen girl irresponsibly building a family that she subjected to a early life of pain and struggle.

Ms. Toya Graham, is not alone. She is only one of countless teen girls and women who in my opinion are responsible for populating our prisons with depressed, angry, frustrated, unpredictable, sometimes suicidal teens (NY Times May 18, 2015 – Rise in Suicide by Black Children Surprises Researchers) filled with resentment for being introduced to a life of pain, though unwilling to blame their moms and or dads for making selfish choices that negatively impacted the quality of their young lives.

To be clear, I am not suggesting Child Abuse and Neglect are the only factors for police acting outside the scope of their employment.

However, I honestly believe that reducing Child Abuse and Neglect will not only reduce the number of African American children committing suicide, reducing Childhood Abuse and Neglect will result with fairly happy children maturing into fairly happy teens and adults who will find more constructive activities to pursue, rather than anti-social activities that emotionally and/or physically harm their peaceful neighbors and police who try to protect peaceful people from harm.

If Americans sincerely wish to reduce gun and other violence that often leads to police fear and anxiety, that sometimes leads to police misconduct and/or aggression, the question all concerned, compassionate Americans should seriously be asking ourselves, our elected, civil, social, community and religious leaders is, "What real substantial changes in our society's attitude and laws need to occur to prevent abuse that often causes young kids to mature into depressed, frustrated, angry teens and adults as a result of experiencing the *emotional and/or physical trauma of an abusive childhood?*"

Child Abuse - When time doesn't heal all wounds | Dr. Robert K. Ross - Ted.com Video

Dr. Ross's 13:00 (thirteen minute) presentation is a MUST WATCH & LISTEN for depressed, tormented people OF ALL AGES who were victims of crazy, less than stellar parenting, though listening to the doctor's words and absorbing them is more crucial.

Robert K. Ross, MD, President and CEO of The California Endowment, gives a compelling overview of the role that exposure to childhood trauma plays in the lives of troubled and chronically ill Americans.

Nationally Popular Victim of Child Abuse - Kendrick Lamar Talks About ‘u,’ His Depression & Suicidal Thoughts (Pt. 2) | MTV Video News

There is a reason Kendrick and Tupac rap or speak about depression and suicidal thoughts. That reason has everything to do with both of them being emotionally abused and maltreated by their PRIMARY maternal caretaker during a critical period of their human development.

https://knutesniche.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/laweekly-lamar-abuse.png

In paragraph eight of this interview Kendrick candidly reveals the source of his childhood and adult depression, the roots of Poverty (Child Abuse) and his sadness over being deprived of a safe, fairly happy Average Joe American kid childhood.

I believe the terms Child Abuse and Poverty are often synonymous.

Is it time to flush "America's War on Poverty" correctly renaming it to "America's War on Early Childhood Abuse & Neglect!"

*(NY Times May 18, 2015 - Rise in Suicide by Black Children Surprises Researchers)*

Peace.

Black *(Children's)* Lives Matter; Take Pride In Parenting; End Our National Epidemic of Child Abuse and Neglect; End Community Violence, Police Fear & Educator's Frustrations

Police today fail "To recognise always that the power of the police to fulfil their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behaviour, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect."

Police today fail "To recognise always that the extent to which the co-operation of the public can be secured diminishes proportionately the necessity of the use of physical force and compulsion for achieving police objectives."

Police today fail "To use physical force only when the exercise of persuasion, advice and warning is found to be insufficient to obtain public co-operation to an extent necessary to secure observance of law or to restore order, and to use only the minimum degree of physical force which is necessary on any particular occasion for achieving a police objective."

Police today fail "To maintain at all times a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and that the public are the police, the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.

Police today fail "To recognise always the need for strict adherence to police-executive functions, and to refrain from even seeming to usurp the powers of the judiciary of avenging individuals or the State, and of authoritatively judging guilt and punishing the guilty."

As a result, people "served" by modern police departments cannot be expected trust the marauding Blue Shirts. That's all there is to it.

Forum List

Back