Africa`s billions might be buried forever

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
It is 10:31 pm in Bamdzeng village in the North West region of Cameroon and a pregnant woman in critical labour has just arrived Bamdzeng Health center. She is breathless as nurses rush her to the newly created delivery room of the center.

“We trekked for more than one hour to reach here. The health center in our village cannot perform risky delivery at night because there is no electricity there” says the distressed husband impatiently waiting for his new born baby. Things move faster than expected. Nurses quickly switch on the lights, start the delivery process and in less than three hours, the cry of a baby is heard. She has delivered a healthy boy and she is in good shape.

“Just few weeks ago, delivery at this time of the day was impossible. We were using torches and lamps to deliver pregnant women and in most cases, it was a deadly venture. The arrival of electricity here has changed everything” says a delighted Rahina Tou Dzemoyua, assistant director of the center.

A few kilometers away, Ardo Abdou Karimu, a respected community figure of Kingomen village reflects on how electrification of the village has changed the lives of the villagers.

“The children now do their school homework under solar light at night and they are performing very well in school. We charge our phone batteries easily and we are able to make calls all the time to our relatives and business partners. More importantly, our standard of living has increased considerably” says Abdou Karimu.

Abdou and Rahina remember with a sense of humour the first day solar panels arrived the village.

“It was like a miracle. They came and placed them on the rooftop of my house and in the evening we had light. My children thought it was witchcraft. We only discovered that it`s night time by 8pm because there was light everywhere” Abdou recalls hysterically.

...The sun shines almost daily throughout most of Sub-Saharan Africa, but most of the population – more than 620 million people — live in the dark according to the International Energy Agency (IEA).

THE JOURNAL S SPECIAL REPORT Africa s billions might be buried forever CAMEROON DAILY JOURNAL

It's that little crap that I take for granted.

Last edited:
Solar power allows what once was only available with a hydro-dam or a petroleum power plant....I hope I have the chance to install some before octogenarian age..

Forum List

Back