Afghanistan: What's our Next Move?

nodoginnafight

No Party Affiliation
Dec 15, 2008
Georgia
I think President Obama is prepared to commit between 30,000 and 40,000 more Americans to Afghanistan and I believe that is a mistake.

I think this represents an expansion of the original objectives and reflects a desire to administer a "death blow" to the Taliban like the one we delivered to Al Qaeda. And I think he wants to achieve that with an Iraq-type surge.

But Afghanistan is not Iraq and the Taliban is not Al Qaeda. I understand that it's easy for a lot of folks to just lump a lot of different elements into the same category because it relieves them of the responsibility and work necessary to understand all the different moving parts.

But I expect better of my POTUS and my CIC.

Our original mission in Afghanistan has achieved much - not every goal that we set out with - but a lot. And the remaining original goal - capture or kill OBL - we have probably achieved it, but we don't know for sure. I'd really like to keep at it until we can confirm that, but we may have allowed that window of opportunity to slam shut. But I think that if we are to confirm that goal or achieve that goal, we can probably do it just as well outside of military channels.

Bring 'em home Mr. Prez.

That's my humble opinion. What's yours?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back