Afghanistan Koran Protest Leaves At Least 8 Dead At U.N. Compound

China and Russia have good Militaries but they do nothing on the UN but bitch and moan, veto resolutions and refuse to do anything, I can't remember the last time Russia or China sent in troops on a UN mission, China and Russia only go to war when it serves their interests.
Well of course the Chinese have fought the UN forces in the Korean War.
Korean War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Chinese back then and still do have a large conscript army which allows for massed infantry attacks but force of numbers alone is only very useful in attacking when the defenders are not equipped appropriately to repel an large infantry attack.

Even a seemly suicidal massed infantry assault against machine-gun position can overwhelm the defenders as the Chinese often overwhelmed UN forces in the Korean War if there are not enough machine guns or the defenders run out of ammunition or the machine gun barrels over-heat and can't be cooled or swapped fast enough.

Therefore although the Chinese many times defeated US forces in Korean War battles I do not think they were particularly "good" in those days, more that US forces were not properly equipped or had the best leadership to defeat a very large infantry army which could afford enormous losses and still keep attacking.

In the olden days of the British Empire, the British army had some fearsome water-cooled machine guns, made by Vickers, which could keep firing all day. So no matter how many enemy infantry or tribes-people tried to assault those gun positions the attackers could all be cut down as long as the ammunition lasted.

Such a robust defensive attitude of being well-prepared to machine gun down any and all who attack a UN or NATO-ISAF position is the security, safety and military leadership we need in Afghanistan.

Some enraged mobs or armies can't be negotiated with, they can't be warned off with shots over their heads, they can't be stopped by killing a few to make an example. The only way to stop such fanatical attackers is to machine-gun them down in huge numbers.

I favour bases on higher steeply-sloped ground so that the dead bodies of attackers roll down the hill away from you clearing your firing line so you can keep shooting at the next wave of attackers.

Of course the Chinese military these days are increasingly well equipped and in combination with the large size of the Chinese military makes them useful friends or dangerous foes.

You are right, HG, the Chinese like to keep out of wars these days. Perhaps they are biding their time until they are the most powerful army in the world? The Chinese are catching up fast.

The Chinese could overtake everyone else if the west doesn't get its economic and military strategy right.

With the US economy in its present shape, if the US wanted to build up its military spending trillions of dollars to keep its sole military superpower position in the world into the future, the US would have to go to the Chinese and borrow the money to raise military spending that much.

Somehow, I don't think the Chinese bankers would be too happy to loan more money to the US to increase military spending. Rather I think the Chinese bankers will be asking the US to cut back on military spending to pay off the interest the US owes China.

If I was running the US I'd be tempted to tax the US rich and invest in a home-grown economy not dependent on Chinese loans and Arab oil and gas but that's just some friendly advice.

Well the Chinese are biding their time and slowly building up their arsenal so you are probably right, in a head to head battle between our Militaries right now all hell would break loose but I can tell you this, there is no substitute for experience. The US Military has been at war for the last 10 years and we have many combat hardened veterans who have been on Multiple deployments and can handle themselves in a battle, sometimes experience is better than numbers. Case in pointin West Africa the governments there reached out to a security contractor in South Africa called Executive Outcomes, and those Contractors went into those West African countries and basically man handled 1000+ armed rebels on their own, in some bases they destroyed hundreds of rebels when the contractors only numbered a dozen people, these contractors were all trained special forces from South Africa. I definently agree with you about the US needing to be self sufficient and not being reliant on Chinese money and Arab oil, I don't like owing people anything.

Forum List

Back