Afghanistan 2024

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
In a signing ceremony, Obama and Karzai agreed on a strategic partnership that would allow U.S. troops to stay on the ground until 2024. The deal allows Afghanistan to keep control of its country, and doesn’t commit the U.S. to any specific troop presence or spending.

It does allow the U.S. to potentially keep troops in Afghanistan after the war ends for two reasons, continued training of Afghan forces and targeted operations against Al Qaeda after the completion of NATO's combat role in 2014.
U.S. troops to have access to Afghanistan until 2024 - KSWB

Frankly there are many opinions on this issue, but my humble opinion on this issue is that we can be in that nation till 2100 and the day we leave it will revert to exactly the way it was the day we entered. That nation or region if you will has been known for it's "tribal" nature and your more likely to have more loyality to the man next door and hate the man 10 miles from you and this has been the same for thousands for years. This concept of "nation building" was not and has been accomplished by anyone in that region from the Persians, Alexander, Russia, Great Britian, former Soviet Union, and any number of nations that have invaded it over thousands of years. After over 1500 plus of our young warriors dead and 15,000 wounded in a nation buliding effort, perhaps we use that skill of those warriors building this nation for the next 10 years rather than one that can never be rebuilt. As for our long term secuirty. with the long reach of US Power containing those who would wish us harm in that part of the world is done with one US Warship or sortie of B-2's from MO. here in the US. In other words these young warriors have done an outstanding job in that part of the world, they have accomplished everything asked of them and destroyed Al-Quida in that region to the point where is a shell of it former self. It's time we honored those young people and brought them home not 10 years from now, but now and concentrate on "building this nation"

So the anti-war president, in his reelection year, extends troops in Afghanistan for 12 more years?

Is the left outraged yet?

Afghans are shooting our troops in the back of the head and doofus keeps us there until 2024? REMEMBER THAT ON YOU WAY TO THE POLLS.

Aren't we in this mess because Reagan pulled out too soon?

If we supply them with weapons this time I would rather stay around awhile....Nothing like arming your future enemy again.

Code:

If we supply them with weapons this time I would rather stay around awhile....Nothing like arming your future enemy again.

We shouldn't have gave them anything, we should have let the Soviets have that shit hole.

Code:

We shouldn't have gave them anything, we should have let the Soviets have that shit hole.

But they have one thing that is very popular in the US right now. I wonder if big pharma plans on pumping money in?

$524,891,108,005 Thats how much the war there has cost in terms of dollars not counting the human costs and costs to the 15000 plus wounded warriors and their families. I cannot imagine why our nation would not want to use our limited resources and those young people here to help rebuild this nation. Imagine if we put that sort of effort into this nation. While the aim is to train local troops and have a base for American response to Al-Quida in the region, it would seem that this can be accomplished without the need for US Forces based there.

Code:

But they have one thing that is very popular in the US right now. I wonder if big pharma plans on pumping money in?

That place is just not worth the blood and treasure we have invested.

$524,891,108,005 Thats how much the war there has cost in terms of dollars not counting the human costs and costs to the 15000 plus wounded warriors and their families. I cannot imagine why our nation would not want to use our limited resources and those young people here to help rebuild this nation. Imagine if we put that sort of effort into this nation. While the aim is to train local troops and have a base for American response to Al-Quida in the region, it would seem that this can be accomplished without the need for US Forces based there.

This is how I see it...We have two options. Finish up in the near future, then just deal with the fact that some sort of rebel leader could take over, or inspire a group of people, and we deal with another attack. Or we bomb the shit out of them, and stay there for the next 50 years.

Personally I would rather take the risk of having another attack.

This is how I see it...We have two options. Finish up in the near future, then just deal with the fact that some sort of rebel leader could take over, or inspire a group of people, and we deal with another attack. Or we bomb the shit out of them, and stay there for the next 50 years.

Personally I would rather take the risk of having another attack.

Luissa to be honest, I cannot think of any task from a response or defense standpoint that cannot be accomplished now from any number of places other than Afghanistan. Including right here at home, when the war first started, B-2 mission were being flown from this nation round trip there and for the most part the war there an air-campaign and SpecOps war in conjuntion with locals. I see no purpose for basing US Forces there other than to make local officals stay in power at the expense of young Americans as we have shown quite well that hunting Al Quida can be done and is done just about anywhere. Once we have left. no matter if it's now or 2024 local tribal factions will once again revert back to previous ways they have been for thousands of years. After all I was under the impression we went there to hunt down Al Quida and the Taliban simply got in the way, and the two of them are pretty much forced together by us, none of them would exist without Pakistan helping them and in turn our supplying Pakistan 6 Billion a year in Military Aid. So in the end it would serve our nation as a whole much better to just move along.

This mission would be over if not for the incompetence of the US army.

This mission would be over if not for the incompetence of the US army.

You are a fucking idiot, its the incompetence of the politicians in the White House and the Pentagon that have prolonged this war not our troops, you are a real bitch for typing that rubbish.

C'mon man, the troops themselves are awesome, but the leaders? Geez, they have the world's most sophisticated and powerful army under their control and can't even take a huge pile of sand (Afghanistan) filled with guys running around in their PJs and slippers, who have pretty much nothing to fight back with, and who all all strung out on heroin.

That's not what Nancy would say! :D

Ok, I'll explain to you all what's up with Afghanistan. They've discovered a shitload of minerals... there and we have to wait for a republican government to be re-elected so that Haliburton and their buddies can come in and clean the place out. So we're stuck in neutral for a while there.

Forum List

Back