Afghan Newlyweds Stoned To Death

The Taliban's interpretation of the Koran authorizes not just death by stoning, but also amputation and other unbelievable punishments...and for acts that I doubt many Westerners can comprehend as "crimes". This is not a "cultural divide" where the two cultures put the age of consent in different places. It seems to me this is the difference between barbarianism and human decency.

Why can't we apply enough pressure to the Afghan government to at least outlaw such horrific punishments?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OtfOmGYH6w&feature=related]YouTube - Muslim honor killing of 16yr old Aqsa Parvez in America[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTNdQOaW0pI&feature=related]YouTube - Honor killing in Georgia when muslim daughter no longer wants arranged marriage.[/ame]

The Taliban's interpretation of the Koran authorizes not just death by stoning, but also amputation and other unbelievable punishments...and for acts that I doubt many Westerners can comprehend as "crimes". This is not a "cultural divide" where the two cultures put the age of consent in different places. It seems to me this is the difference between barbarianism and human decency.

Why can't we apply enough pressure to the Afghan government to at least outlaw such horrific punishments?

Castrate all male children at birth and it will eventually fix the problem.

Your dreaming Madeline, your dreaming. WE cant change THEM. THEY need to change for themselves.

I am aware some murders are committed for religious reasons, Allie. I just rather doubt you can find any murders by stoning in the US.

I realize all murder victims die, but stoning has to be an especially horrific death...and to have your own family involved, I just cannot imagine.

I REPEAT, NON Taliban Clerics of the Muslim faith AGREE that stoning is the APPROPRIATE PUNISHMENT for unsanctioned sex. In this case the two got married but it was not sanctioned by the local Clerics or family. Thus they had unsanctioned sex. ISLAM condemns that and provides that STONING is the proper punishment. NOT just in Afghanistan.

I REPEAT, NON Taliban Clerics of the Muslim faith AGREE that stoning is the APPROPRIATE PUNISHMENT for unsanctioned sex. In this case the two got married but it was not sanctioned by the local Clerics or family. Thus they had unsanctioned sex. ISLAM condemns that and provides that STONING is the proper punishment. NOT just in Afghanistan.

She won't bite, because it draws attention to the fact that Islam is innately violent, and if she admits that, she has to admit she supports that violence. Which of course she does.

See her pooh-poohing the honor killings, and the way she avoids attributing them to Islam but rather calls them "religious" killings, implying of course that Christians do the same thing.

That just cannot be right, RetiredGySgt. And while we're discussing this, how did you gain all this expertise on the Muslim religion?

Hopefully, you have done more than listen to Glenn Beck rant.

Look, I didn't post this so that anti-Muslim bigotry could get another hearing. In fact, I have known about it all day and hesitated to post it because I was afraid of that very thing. I don't claim to have any great understanding of the Muslim religion, but even I can see this happened because of the Taliban and not because the people were Muslims.

I read some of this shit written on here and can so clearly remember the adults around me, discarding the possibility than North Vietnamese, or blacks, or Puerto Ricans, or Italians, ad nauseum, were as human as you and me. I reacted then as I do now: my skin crawls as I hear yet another person assign a group to the human dump because they are "too different".

So, if it is at all possible could we please discuss why this happened? Can anything be done to change this culture? Should the US leave Afghanistan while women's rights are so endangered?

Just because someone points out that Muslims are carrying out these atrocities in the name of Islam and Sharia law does not mean they are bigoted against Muslims, it just means they recognize the dangers of the attitude that Islam is a religion of peace and that only radical Muslims do things like this.

If this was just the Taliban the entire village where this couple was from would not have participated.

If this was just the Taliban their neighbors would have stood up for a young couple in love, and not cheered their barbaric deaths.

If this was just the Taliban the children of that village would have been hidden away by their parents, not out in the village square witnessing this and celebrating.

What you have to realize is that the problem is not that radicals are trying to usurp Islam, the problem is that Islam supports radicals. I fully support the right of everyone on the planet to believe whatever they want to, but I also know that some beliefs are inherently dangerous. You would not sit in front of your computer and argue that someone who was trying to bring back the practice of human sacrifice has a right to practice their religion, so why do you argue that everyone has the right to practice Islam the way they want?

Until Islam cleanses itself of the radicals and every Muslim speaks up, and out, against things like this Islam will be the enemy of civilization. Christianity had to do it, now Islam must follow the example laid down by people like Martin Luther. Until Islam is reformed I will not trust Muslims, because they demonstrate every time something like this happens that they do not trust me.

WTF did anyone get stoned to death in the US?????

Leave aside the bickering a moment, RetiredGySgt. This didn't happen in secret. Aren't US troops there, engaging in "nation building"? Why didn't they prevent this?

Perhaps because Obama has sanctioned pulling them out of the rural areas, thus leaving those areas open for the Taliban to do things like this. Believe it or not, the military has a tradition of following the orders of the President. If you have a problem with them not stopping things like this perhaps you should call him up and explain why the military needs to prevent things like this.

I honestly don't know how I feel, Quantum Windbag. I want the wars to end and our soldiers to come home. I want peace in Afghanistan. I want the Taliban eradicated. If the situation is truely hopeless, I see no point in expending American lives there, postponing the inevitable.

Mostly, I just feel shocked and saddened.

Look, I didn't post this so that anti-Muslim bigotry could get another hearing. In fact, I have known about it all day and hesitated to post it because I was afraid of that very thing. I don't claim to have any great understanding of the Muslim religion, but even I can see this happened because of the Taliban and not because the people were Muslims.

I read some of this shit written on here and can so clearly remember the adults around me, discarding the possibility than North Vietnamese, or blacks, or Puerto Ricans, or Italians, ad nauseum, were as human as you and me. I reacted then as I do now: my skin crawls as I hear yet another person assign a group to the human dump because they are "too different".

So, if it is at all possible could we please discuss why this happened? Can anything be done to change this culture? Should the US leave Afghanistan while women's rights are so endangered?

Just because someone points out that Muslims are carrying out these atrocities in the name of Islam and Sharia law does not mean they are bigoted against Muslims, it just means they recognize the dangers of the attitude that Islam is a religion of peace and that only radical Muslims do things like this.

If this was just the Taliban the entire village where this couple was from would not have participated.

If this was just the Taliban their neighbors would have stood up for a young couple in love, and not cheered their barbaric deaths.

If this was just the Taliban the children of that village would have been hidden away by their parents, not out in the village square witnessing this and celebrating.

What you have to realize is that the problem is not that radicals are trying to usurp Islam, the problem is that Islam supports radicals. I fully support the right of everyone on the planet to believe whatever they want to, but I also know that some beliefs are inherently dangerous. You would not sit in front of your computer and argue that someone who was trying to bring back the practice of human sacrifice has a right to practice their religion, so why do you argue that everyone has the right to practice Islam the way they want?

Until Islam cleanses itself of the radicals and every Muslim speaks up, and out, against things like this Islam will be the enemy of civilization. Christianity had to do it, now Islam must follow the example laid down by people like Martin Luther. Until Islam is reformed I will not trust Muslims, because they demonstrate every time something like this happens that they do not trust me.
Agree totally but with leaders like Obama in power in the west it will have to start in the middle east and not here as the left and center-left hates western civilization so much that they will work hard to accommodate and cultivate terrorism and hatred here as much as possible. :eusa_shhh:

Last edited:
Christ onna cracker, you're a one trick pony hipeter. Everything is Obama's fault, everything will be okay when he leaves office, blah blah blah.

Thankies for playing. :eusa_doh:

How does someone become a Muslim cleric? Since they have no central authority, who decides who gets to be an Iman etc.?

Last edited:
Prior the the Arab - Israeli war in June of 1967 arguably the most serious conflict in the Muslim world was between the forces of radical Islamic Fundamentalism, centered where the oil was/is (Saudi Arabia) and secular Arab nationalism which was largely associated with Nasser's Egypt.

Both Muslim states were fighting a proxy war in Yemen at that time. and "(t)he United States and Britain were supporting radical Islamic fundamentalism; in fact, they've rather consistently done that - supporting Saudi Arabia."

"And Nasserite secular nationalism was considered a serious threat, because it was recognized that it might seek to take control of the immense resources of the region and use them for regional interest, rather than allow them to be centrally controlled and exploited by the United States and it allies..."

Devote Christians might also re-read their Old Testament's advice to fathers' of "adulterous" daughters before casting any stones at today's Muslims.

Noam Chomsky: The Real Reasons...

This is awful but I gotta ask, if so many thinks that most Muslims are this bad, why are we even involving ourselves so much in those regions to begin with? I know we need to find OBL and bring those responsible for 9-11 to justice but we were in Muslim countries well before then.

Christ onna cracker, you're a one trick pony hipeter. Everything is Obama's fault, everything will be okay when he leaves office, blah blah blah.

Thankies for playing. :eusa_doh:

How does someone become a Muslim cleric? Since they have no central authority, who decides who gets to be an Iman etc.?
It will, the deficit will go down, taxes will be cut and the economy will improve and the Republicans will stop Obama's policy of Europeanization that is stuffing up America so bad right now such as Obama's health care plan and nationalization agenda. :cuckoo:

As for Iraq and Afghanistan, the Republicans will either pull out altogether (on the timetable Bush made and Obama stole) or get the money and troops together to actually win, which is something Democrats are to date totally incapable of.

Forum List

Back