Afghan Minister, 50 to 100 Others Killed

spillmind

Sep 1, 2003
Palo Alto, Ca.
why is it that no one here ever gets the ball rolling on THESE issues? :laugh: i can guess why :rolleyes:

Afghan Minister, 50 to 100 Others Killed
25 minutes ago

By STEPHEN GRAHAM, Associated Press Writer

KABUL, Afghanistan - Soldiers loyal to a local commander shot and killed Afghanistan's aviation minister Sunday in the western city of Herat, setting off a big gunbattle in which as many as 100 people died vicious factional fighting, the commander told The Associated Press.

In Kabul, President Hamid Karzai's Cabinet convened in emergency session after the killing of minister Mirwais Sadiq — a son of Herat's powerful governor — and dispatched extra troops to try to calm the city.

Presidential spokesman Khaleeq Ahmed said only that the minister had been shot in his car and circumstances were unclear.

However, a top Herat military commander, Zaher Naib Zada, told AP by telephone Sunday night that his forces had killed Sadiq in a confrontation after the minister went to Zada's home to fire him.

Afterward, Zada's forces and soliders loyal to Sadiq began fighting with machine guns, tanks and rockets for control of the city's main military barracks. Zada said between 50 and 100 soldiers were killed in the first hours of the ongoing battle.

Sadiq is the third leading figure of Karzai's government,
and the second aviation minister, to be killed.

The father of the slain minister, Ismail Khan, is a former anti-Soviet commander who runs a large private army and has had firm control over Herat since the fall of the Taliban in late 2001. But there have been persistent tensions — and occasional factional fighting — between his men and those loyal to rival warlords. Sadiq was widely viewed as his father's representative in Karzai's government.

State television had reported that Sadiq's father, Khan, had escaped a separate attack unhurt. The presidential spokesman and other officials, however, said there had been no attack on Khan.

Aid workers in the city speaking by phone reported gunfire and heavy explosions and said they had been ordered to stay indoors. U.N. workers scrambled into a bunker at their headquarters.

A police officer, Fahim, reached by telephone at the main police station, gave a different account, saying Sadiq had gone to Zada's residence to ask him about the killing of three civilians by Zada's forces two days earlier.

Karzai's defense and interior ministers were preparing to travel to Herat to try to determine the circumstances of the killing, and the battles that followed, his spokesman said.

The president, who escaped a 2002 attempt on his life, said in a brief statement from Kabul that he was "deeply shocked" by the killing and offered condolences to Ismail Khan.

Karzai's first civil aviation minister, Abdul Rahman, was assassinated Feb. 14, 2002, at Kabul's airport, in circumstances that remain unclear. Gunmen shot and killed Vice President Abdul Qadir in the capital on July 6, 2002.

Both of those killings remain unsolved.

Karzai has been constantly shadowed by Afghan and American bodyguards armed with automatic weapons since a September 2002 assassination attempt in the southern city of Kandahar. Three people, including the gunman, died in that attack.

His government includes an uneasy alliance of former warlords who had joined forces to help the United States rout the former Taliban government. His government still is trying to assert control nationwide, including over Herat and its customs revenue as a major port of entry on the Iranian border.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
let's hope iraq doesn't go the way afghanistan is going years after our 'liberation'!

I am disturbed by how you seem gleeful when you post things like this. It's as if you're saying, "See! I told you things are going horribly in Afghanistan." I'm not saying that it's not okay to post bad news, but try not to come off that way next time (as if you can).

I think all spilly looks for is negitive things to post. Afganistan and Iraq are not going to be , if ever, like being in America. these people dont place the same value on human life as we do.

:rolleyes:

these people dont place the same value on human life as we do.
what a load of horsecrap.

not one of you have even adressed the topic. why is this?

DENIAL!

a little objectivity is enough to send you all spinning.

wake up and smell REALITY.

jeezus man.

i swear it's like pulling teeth trying to reason with those in denial.

i was laughing that the fact that no one here ever posts stories like these, because the rosy glasses you all look through don't see these things! that or you choose to ignore them!

i think it's horrendous that these things happen!

but WHY do these things happen?

when, if ever- will they ever stop?

i apologize for not sharing the optimism that you all glow with.

Originally posted by spillmind

i apologize for not sharing the optimism that you all glow with.

Guys, take it easy on Spillmind. Realize that it truly must be difficult for him to be optimistic considering the election year the democrats face.

damn mr. evil checking my IP to see when i log on and off!

Spilly, what would you do about this?
hey- great question.

while i cannot pretend to be some omniscient being that can see all do all, i do know that an american prescence in the heart of the ME is not something that is going to welcomed with open arms. we have spent billions upon billions of money trying to impose our business culture (if nothing else) on a region that harbors arguably more anti-american sentiment than anywhere else in the world.

while i stand together with americans on this issue, one has to ask: why is there is such opposition to 'peace'?

in order to 'stabilize' this region, it's got to take much more effort not only from the US, but from a broad coalition of nations that can work towards saturating the area with a commitment to get a business/government infrastructure set up and stabilized. it's going to intially take large police forces to withstand attacks, continue investigations, and deal with these attacks in a democratic fashion.

personally, i think this kind of law maintaining 'freedom' is a long way aways not only because the necessary governmental infrastructure is not in place- finanically and physically, but because the general mentality in this part of the world is so different.

death is commonplace in iraq, as is many ME countries. it is regarded differently than it is here. a good point made by our (ahem) president is that extreme muslims tend to find liberation in death, whereas the general western perspective is one of liberation while living. (hence our H2s, etc.) (and btw, i'll bet a year's salary that dubya didn't come up with that himself) :laugh:

the only way to get american style democracy to function in iraq is persistence, and a large ally base. the way we've currently gone about it has failed on the latter and have a long way to go financially and logistically on the matter of persistence. i think that if we do fail in iraq, the price of taking that risk is going to be devastating on many levels.

now that we are waist deep in this, we've got to see this through with more troops and a broader coalition- also, consistent persistence with security to attract outside investors.

i just seriously doubt we have the means to do this... and we'll just see how things come to pass.

The one thing WE are trying to bring tothe ME is PEACE. there has been fighting going on over there since the dawn of man. The only onnes that are fighting now in Iraq are the extremists, and most of them seem to be of the imported type. what I cant seem to understand is if the extremist think that freedom/ Democratic government wont work, why not let it fail and then do something about. Its freedom that they fear, once the people truly have had a good taste of it, the extremist dont have a snowballschance in hell and EVERYBODY knows it. you, me, the people that seek freedom.we may well be in Iraq/afganistan for some time to come. ask yourself this: what would have happened if we hadnt went intoIraq or Afganistan? I have and am damn glad we did. the large ally base I dont think will happen as AQ has started its crap with other nations and they dont have the stones of our country or our President. We cant be everything to every country but by turning our backs to the world isnt the right answer,IMHO

Forum List

Back