Afghan elections to be held Oct 9th...

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,125202,00.html

Afghan Presidential Vote to Be Held Oct. 9
Friday, July 09, 2004

The vote is seen as a referendum on the rebuilding of this war-ravaged nation and a test of the ability of Afghan and international forces to keep the peace. It will be the first direct election for president in the country's history.

Zakim Shah, head of the joint Afghan-U.N. electoral commission, announced on state television that the body "decided to hold the presidential election on Mizan 18" — a date in Afghanistan's calendar that corresponds to Oct. 9.

He said the parliamentary vote would likely be in April or May.

U.S.-backed interim President Hamid Karzai (search) is expected to win the vote for the top job, but he faces at least a half-dozen rivals in this ethnically and regionally fractured country. It is not clear whether he will garner the 50 percent majority needed for outright victory, meaning a run-off two weeks later may be necessary.

Wow what do you know. A democratic election within 2 years of our initial invasion. I guess were not fucking things up as bad as the media and the Dems would have us believe.

Really? I was aware that we went in there starting in October 2001 - retaliatory to the 9/11 stikes. Or was that just the bombing campaign? Even still, we atleast had special forces in there and were supporting the Northern Alliance fight the Taliban...

-Douglas

Originally posted by Shazbot
Really? I was aware that we went in there starting in October 2001 - retaliatory to the 9/11 stikes. Or was that just the bombing campaign? Even still, we atleast had special forces in there and were supporting the Northern Alliance fight the Taliban...

-Douglas

Could have sworn the "Official" invasion was February 2002. I remember being frustrated at having to wait so long to do something about 9/11.

Originally posted by insein
Could have sworn the "Official" invasion was February 2002. I remember being frustrated at having to wait so long to do something about 9/11.

yeah, but SF/Delta was in right after 911. Actually, they were in to a MUCH lesser extent even before 911 but we were only "observing".

Forum List

Back