Afghan civilians die in U.S. attack

Discussion in 'General Global Topics' started by gabosaurus, Mar 4, 2007.

1. gabosaurus

gabosaurus Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/0C9913A0-F8E5-41E0-B40C-661E3450B73A.htm

US troops have killed 16 Afghan civilians after they opened fire following a car bomb attack on their convoy, US military officials have admitted.

At least 24 civilians were also wounded in the incident in the eastern province of Nangarhar.

A suicide bomber in a minivan packed with explosives rammed the convoy and armed men opened fire from different points in a "complex" attack, US officials said.

But Afghans at the scene say US troops opened fire on them indiscriminately. There were no reports of casualties among US soldiers.

Thousands of Afghans protested at the scene of the killings, blocking the main road between the Afghan capital, Kabul, and the Pakistan border and throwing rocks at police.

2. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    I feel so jaded by the news of the war. (Yawn) Another car bomb went off, more insurgents attack. We kill more of them or they kill more of us. Civilians get injured or killed in the crossfire. Okay, so I might be incorrect concerning the specific details but, in all practicality, it is the “same old same old” as some people say. If the war continues as it has been going, I imagine that I could take a 5-year nap and, by the time I wake up, little will have changed.

3. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708

Not exactly correct...once the 16 "opened fire" they weren't "civilians" but combatants. I suppose this is the next step after calling terrorists insurgents we need to now call them "civilians".

4. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    Afghanistan? Oh. With the mess happening in Iraq, I forgot about that nation. Didn’t we finish our war in Afghanistan a long time ago? It has a new ruler / government, doesn’t it? If so, then what are we still doing there?

5. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    We are there as part of a NATO agreement under the UN auspices...otherwise we would have left long ago. I find it ironic that folks forget that security there is the responsibility of the UN and NATO and not the US.

6. Gurdari

Gurdari Egaliterra

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40
    The 16 didn't open fire, the US opened fire after asuicide bomber. The 16 were in the wrong place at the wrong time (Afghanistan, anytime).

Naming conventions are tricky, how can you call someone battling an occupying army a 'terrorist' when resisting occupation is legal, and terrorism is not (when they do it).

7. gabosaurus

gabosaurus Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I love how everyone who gets killed in Iraq or Afghanistan suddenly becomes a "combatant" -- kids, old people, wedding guests, dogs and cows.
    "That cow pointed its hoof at me! I thought it was a rifle!" :wtf:

8. Gurdari

Gurdari Egaliterra

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40
    You are wrong, Gabosaur. That cow had no weapon, but she was offering material support to Al Qaeda in the form of milk.

9. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    You guys are catching on! Gen Sherman, during the US Civil War certainly practiced such tactics....too bad you PC folks don't understand war!

10. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Nice attempt at spin but that is NOT what I said. BUt then the truth has little merit or worth for you libs. You have only your agenda....sorta like the Nazis pre WW II .... the Party first!