Affirmitive Action Hospital

B

Big D

Todays News:

Built on land where once stood a public-housing project, King/Drew Hospital opened its doors in 1972, seven years after the Watts riot scorched a wide swath of South Los Angeles. (The hospital's website euphemizes the riot as a "social disturbance.") The McCone Commission, impaneled by Governor Pat Brown to investigate the riots, identified the lack of health-care facilities in the area as having contributed to the unrest, and from its inception the hospital was intended to be run by blacks for the benefit of the surrounding black community. This may have made some sense in 1972, when South Los Angeles was still predominantly black, but today the area is about 60-percent Hispanic, yet only 17 percent of the hospital's employees are Latinos. The hospital's administration is almost exclusively black.

Speaking to the New York Times, Connie Rice, a black civil-rights attorney here in Los Angeles, described the situation at the hospital this way: "The hospital is run like a tribal fiefdom, and it's appalling. You can't ask questions because it's a black institution. If you ask questions, they scream racism. But it's not a question of race, it's a question of competence." I'm guessing Rice has never voted for a Republican in her life, but surely that comment had her telephone ringing with accusations of selling out to The Man.

http://www.nationalreview.com/dunphy/dunphy200404080849.asp

What are hospitals like in Africa and Mexico? Go to Los Angeles to find out.

free(er) market capitalism advocates and encourages use of any and all weapons to protect/accumulate resources (wealth, positition, status) at all costs. a bad combination of a welfare state and objectivist market ideals manifested in a beaurocracy.

Originally posted by Big D
Todays News:.

I've never been to L.A. and from what you say, I don't think I want to. I'm sure most big cities are how you've described. We live near Cincinnati, Over the Rhine, that's bad enough.

Originally posted by Joz
We live near Cincinnati, Over the Rhine, that's bad enough.
Then you understand where I'm coming from.

Forum List

Back