Affirmative Action

KMAN

Jul 9, 2008
Question: Would any of the affirmative action supporters on this board ever quit their job so a minority or someone not as qualified could have it?

I thought the thread was going to be about affirmative action candidates...George W. Bush and John McCain...

Question: Would any of the affirmative action supporters on this board ever quit their job so a minority or someone not as qualified could have it?
probably not. Then again I have not been in that position. On a whole I was the one hiring and firing. Also I did not discriminate. Yet I have been discriminated against.

Originally Posted by KMAN

I thought the thread was going to be about affirmative action candidates...George W. Bush and John McCain...

Can't answer the question can you.... typical lib.

Stupid question...typical right wing pea brain

Answer the question.

It is quite valid to those supporting affirmative action.

Answer the question.

It is quite valid to those supporting affirmative action.

No, it is NOT a valid question. It is a STUPID question pea brains use to try to boil down a complex issue into a simple litmus test...

One's job is Maslovian. I chose food and shelter for me and mine before anything else. Primary survival trumps. People have eaten eachother to survive.

Once again... Another informative and worthwhile post on these boards...:cuckoo:

Anytime a liberal doesn't like the question it's a stupid question.... Yet, they always feel a need to type a smartass answer...

Last edited:

No but I am liberal who doesn't believe in affirmative action.

i think it is a great question and it seems libs will run from this like most tough questions. kind of like saying how it is patriotic to pay MORE taxes, yet use every means available to pay LESS taxes...

It's not a valid question.

Affirmative Action does not state that they have to hire a minority over a majority if the minority is not qualified for the job. If they are equally qualified, then the minority could be picked because of the minority status.

More right wing bullshit.

But just for the record, we have been hiring whites for over a hundred years over qualified minorities just because they are white.

Go figger.

Definitions of affirmative action on the Web:

a policy designed to redress past discrimination against women and minority groups through measures to improve their economic and educational ...
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

The term affirmative action describes many policies aimed at a historically socio-politically non-dominant group (typically, minority men or women ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirmative_action

A policy or program providing advantages for people of a minority group who are seen to have traditionally been discriminated against, with the aim of creating a more egalitarian society through preferential access to education, employment, health care, social welfare, etc
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/affirmative_action

Specific actions in recruitment, hiring, upgrading and other areas designed and taken for the purpose of eliminating the present effects of past discrimination, or to prevent discrimination.
Stony Brook University Diversity Glossary

Affirmative action includes actions, policies, and procedures to which a (federal) contractor commits itself and that are designed to achieve equal employment opportunity. ...
Glossary - Recruitment Manual - Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity - The University of Iowa

Positive steps taken by an employer that contribute toward greater employment opportunities for minorities, females, the elderly, and the disabled. ...
www.diversity.hr.va.gov/glossary.htm

Policies of governments and other institutions that are designed to actively promote and advance the status and the social and occupational participation of groups of people designated by sex, ethnicity or other shared characteristic. ...
bitbucket.icaap.org/dict.pl

Affirmative Action is taking positive actions to hire and promote qualified persons in protected groups. ...
UNM Office of Equal Opportunity - Glossary

Government programs intended to assure minorities of equal hiring admission opportunities. Introduced by President Johnson under the Civil Rights Act, signed on July 02 nd , 1964. First enforced on September 24 th , 1965 under Executive Order 11246…
Social Science Dictionary

Good faith efforts to ensure equal employment opportunity and correct the effects of past discrimination against affected groups. Where appropriate, affirmative action includes goals to correct underutilization and development of results-oriented programs to address problem areas.
KUMC Equal Opportunity Office: Glossary

means the activities the University undertakes to guarantee equal opportunity, overcome the continuing effects of past discrimination, prevent ...
www2.montana.edu/policy/affirmative_action/aa100.html

Proactively hiring and promoting qualified individuals in protected groups such as minorities, disabled veterans, Vietnam-era veterans and women.
USD - Definitions

actions by employers to seek out actively minorities and women for jobs and to provide them with training and other opportunities for promotion
www2.wwnorton.com/college/econ/stec3/economics/glossary.htm

Specific efforts designed to attract candidates from groups affected by discrimination and increase their utilization in the work force. ...
edc.appstate.edu/equity/issues/definition_of_terms.html

The written document through which management ensures that all persons have equal opportunities in recruitment, selection, appointment, promotion, training, discipline or termination. ...
Definitions

Don't see anything there about hiring anyone who isn't qualified

Affirmative Action does not state that they have to hire a minority over a majority if the minority is not qualified for the job. If they are equally qualified, then the minority could be picked because of the minority status.

But just for the record, we have been hiring whites for over a hundred years over qualified minorities just because they are white.

Go figger.

So you cannot answer the question.

Go figure...

Definitions of affirmative action on the Web:

a policy designed to redress past discrimination against women and minority groups through measures to improve their economic and educational ...
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

The term affirmative action describes many policies aimed at a historically socio-politically non-dominant group (typically, minority men or women ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirmative_action

A policy or program providing advantages for people of a minority group who are seen to have traditionally been discriminated against, with the aim of creating a more egalitarian society through preferential access to education, employment, health care, social welfare, etc
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/affirmative_action

Specific actions in recruitment, hiring, upgrading and other areas designed and taken for the purpose of eliminating the present effects of past discrimination, or to prevent discrimination.
Stony Brook University Diversity Glossary

Affirmative action includes actions, policies, and procedures to which a (federal) contractor commits itself and that are designed to achieve equal employment opportunity. ...
Glossary - Recruitment Manual - Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity - The University of Iowa

Positive steps taken by an employer that contribute toward greater employment opportunities for minorities, females, the elderly, and the disabled. ...
www.diversity.hr.va.gov/glossary.htm

Policies of governments and other institutions that are designed to actively promote and advance the status and the social and occupational participation of groups of people designated by sex, ethnicity or other shared characteristic. ...
bitbucket.icaap.org/dict.pl

Affirmative Action is taking positive actions to hire and promote qualified persons in protected groups. ...
UNM Office of Equal Opportunity - Glossary

Government programs intended to assure minorities of equal hiring admission opportunities. Introduced by President Johnson under the Civil Rights Act, signed on July 02 nd , 1964. First enforced on September 24 th , 1965 under Executive Order 11246…
Social Science Dictionary

Good faith efforts to ensure equal employment opportunity and correct the effects of past discrimination against affected groups. Where appropriate, affirmative action includes goals to correct underutilization and development of results-oriented programs to address problem areas.
KUMC Equal Opportunity Office: Glossary

means the activities the University undertakes to guarantee equal opportunity, overcome the continuing effects of past discrimination, prevent ...
www2.montana.edu/policy/affirmative_action/aa100.html

Proactively hiring and promoting qualified individuals in protected groups such as minorities, disabled veterans, Vietnam-era veterans and women.
USD - Definitions

actions by employers to seek out actively minorities and women for jobs and to provide them with training and other opportunities for promotion
www2.wwnorton.com/college/econ/stec3/economics/glossary.htm

Specific efforts designed to attract candidates from groups affected by discrimination and increase their utilization in the work force. ...
edc.appstate.edu/equity/issues/definition_of_terms.html

The written document through which management ensures that all persons have equal opportunities in recruitment, selection, appointment, promotion, training, discipline or termination. ...
Definitions

Don't see anything there about hiring anyone who isn't qualified

Let me rephrase for you... Would you quit your job so a minority could have it?

Of course they don't want to answer. An honest answer would make them look bad.

You could do the same thing with pro-life supporters... How many unwanted, crack addicted babies will you take in? No make what then number they say (and honestly most would say 0) there are always more babies than families so it makes them look bad.

Go figger.

I agree it is not a valid question, but I disagree with your statements about hiring practices. Have you ever applied for a government contract? Well, just in case the answer to that is no, let me inform you that if you have more than 50 employees, in order to receive such a contract, you must have a policy of hiring minorities, in other words you have to state you are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, and you have to prove that you are by having the proper percentage of minorities (qualified or not) in management position and if you don't then the sign is clear as the nose on your face... "You need not apply".

This tends to lead to any company that may in the future desire government contracts to fit in with the picture and it does lead to potentially less qualified individuals being hired.

You see the law may not state that you have to hire minorities, qualified or not, but they use the back door to force your compliance and this can lead to people who are very qualified for a position being passed over for those who are not as qualified but have minority status.

Immie

The answer to the question is obvious, and we all know what it is.... NO.... the liberals would NOT quit their job so a less qualified minority could take it. They can't say that though because then that would blow their argument in support of AA. The question is valid, but it is also a ringer.

I'm mostly "liberal" and here's my take on it:

It did it's job a long time ago, it's time passed, but the morons keep abusing it to ruin our country. It should have been ended a long time ago, since now corporations no longer care about what skin color, disability, gender, etc. they want profits and will hire whoever will do the job best. Those who don't are failing as we speak ... well type, and begging for government hand outs now.

Forum List

Back