Affirmative Action -- A View: Justices Clarence Thomas and Sonia Sotomayor

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street

29:15 into video: Justices Clarence Thomas and Sonia Sotomayor

Lawrence Tribe
The fact is the deep debate between Clarence Thomas and Sonia Sotomayor about affirmative action is incredibly informative -- They both recognize that they have been the beneficiaries of race sensitive decision making by universities and to some extent by the government.

They come out very differently as to what they think about that:

Thomas says "It made me feel inferior all my life. Everywhere I go people say 'He's an affirmative action baby. He's there only because he's black. I feel excluded."

Sotomayor says "I understand that, but I feel very differently. I know that I wouldn't be where I am today, but for the benefits of affirmative action. -- I don't want anyone else to be denied that opportunity. It doesn't undermine my sense of self, my ego is intact."​

Dante rarely gets into discussions about race, because it is almost always a shouting match with bs coming from all sides. How about an intelligent discussion on Affirmative Action, by discussing two very similar yet very different stories?

Why do Thomas and Sotomayor feel the ways they do? What do you think their stories say about them and ultimately us -- society? Were you in either;s shoes, how would you see the world?

Better yet, what does it say about the world's they inhabit? Who makes Thomas feel this way, his conservative friends and allies, or his more liberal and progressive opponents? Is it something in his background, his aspirations and self identity -- his ego?

What about Sotomayor? Why does she feel the way she does? She does seem at all defensive about it, at least to me she doesn't?

Lawrence Tribe
The fact is the deep debate between Clarence Thomas and Sonia Sotomayor about affirmative action is incredibly informative -- They both recognize that they have been the beneficiaries of race sensitive decision making by universities and to some extent by the government.

Thomas says "It made me feel inferior all my life. Everywhere I go people say 'He's an affirmative action baby. He's there only because he's black. I feel excluded."

Sotomayor says "I understand that, but I feel very differently. I know that I wouldn't be where I am today, but for the benefits of affirmative action. -- I don't want anyone else to be denied that opportunity. It doesn't undermine my sense of self, my ego is intact."​

Dante rarely gets into discussions about race, because it is almost always a shouting match with bs coming from all sides. How about an intelligent discussion on Affirmative Action, by discussing two very similar yet very different stories?

Why do Thomas and Sotomayor feel the ways they do? What do you think their stories say about them and ultimately us -- society? Were you in either;s shoes, how would you see the world?

Better yet, what does it say about the world's they inhabit? Who makes Thomas feel this way, his conservative friends and allies, or his more liberal and progressive opponents? Is it something in his background, his aspirations and self identity -- his ego?

What about Sotomayor? Why does she feel the way she does? She does seem at all defensive about it, at least to me she doesn't?

It appears to me that Sotomayor is less invested in what people think, and has a positive self image as well as confidence.

Thomas on the.other hand probably feels inferior for other reasons besides being a beneficiary of AA.

I find Thomas a hypocrite, since the NAACP and catholic church funded his education. He also decided not to be a priest when Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated. He worked as a corporate lawyer for Mansanto. My guess money and greed allows him to turn a blind eye.

Clarence Thomas Biography - family childhood story history wife school young son old information born college

Sonya's parents were from Puerto Rico, she probably had to deal with racism, misogyny and xenophobia. She was also sent to catholic school and was able to get scholarships through Phi Beta Kappa.

She may be more honest than Thomas.

Sonia Sotomayor Biography

Lawrence Tribe

It appears to me that Sotomayor is less invested in what people think, and has a positive self image as well as confidence.

Thomas on the.other hand probably feels inferior for other reasons besides being a beneficiary of AA.
Do you think WHO he has tried to fit in with has affected it? Like trying to fit in with conservative culture? Were many conservatives the ones looking at him as an affirmative action baby?

I find Thomas a hypocrite, since the NAACP and catholic church funded his education. He also decided not to be a priest when Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated. He worked as a corporate lawyer for Mansanto. My guess money and greed allows him to turn a blind eye.

Clarence Thomas Biography - family childhood story history wife school young son old information born college

Sonya's parents were from Puerto Rico, she probably had to deal with racism, misogyny and xenophobia. She was also sent to catholic school and was able to get scholarships through Phi Beta Kappa.

More honest? How dare you! Who are you to assume a black man must agree with you on how he feels about having grown up black in America. This is about how they feel. You saying how somebody should personally feel ...

More honest? How dare you! Who are you to assume a black man must agree with you on how he feels about having grown up black in America. This is about how they feel. You saying how somebody should personally feel ...

I didn't mention his feelings I examined his historical behavior and gave an opinion. ;)

Lawrence Tribe

Do you think WHO he has tried to fit in with has affected it? Like trying to fit in with conservative culture? Were many conservatives the ones looking at him as an affirmative action baby?

My guess (and of course no one but he really knows) is that his attempting to fit in with those who likely did not share similar life experiences to his could have affected his self esteem. That could even be one of the reasons that he is known as "the justice who is silent". He may lack confidence.

I didn't mention his feelings I examined his historical behavior and gave an opinion. ;)
to be fair, Dante farts in your general direction!

Lawrence Tribe

My guess (and of course no one but he really knows) is that his attempting to fit in with those who likely did not share similar life experiences to his could have affected his self esteem. That could even be one of the reasons that he is known as "the justice who is silent". He may lack confidence.

I think it's an interesting take on it, but disagree on the 'silent' part. There have been a few other justices who were silent, yet had profound influences on the Court. Thomas was very young when appointed. His influence and intelligence has been ignored or slandered in (I originally wrote "by" but that's not accurate) the media. Critics and others who were initially silent, are coming out and reevaluating Thomas

Actually, he rarely speaks verbally in court, but has developed a reputation for very thorough written analysis.

:laugh2:

Lawrence Tribe

One person is only thinking about himself and the other is thinking of the benefit to others. Its pretty much that simple as you already pointed out the reasons Thomas hates AA. Thomas needs to man up and stop worrying about what white people think of him.

"It made me feel inferior all my life. Everywhere I go people say 'He's an affirmative action baby. He's there only because he's black. I feel excluded."

Lawrence Tribe

One person is only thinking about himself and the other is thinking of the benefit to others. Its pretty much that simple as you already pointed out the reasons Thomas hates AA. Thomas needs to man up and stop worrying about what white people think of him.

"It made me feel inferior all my life. Everywhere I go people say 'He's an affirmative action baby. He's there only because he's black. I feel excluded."
Really? reading and comprehension 101. Thomas is speaking about himself as well as Sotomayor is. To imply that Thomas doesn't care what others would go through is ridiculously hateful

The context of it all carries the implication that it is about more than them personally. It is about affirmative action programs and they used their experiences to comment upon the issue. Both gave personal stories. stories that went to HOW it affected them personally

Lawrence Tribe

Really? reading and comprehension 101. Thomas is speaking about himself as well as Sotomayor is. To imply that Thomas doesn't care what others would go through is ridiculously hateful

The context of it all carries the implication that it is about more than them personally. It is about affirmative action programs and they used their experiences to comment upon the issue. Both gave personal stories. stories that went to HOW it affected them personally
I disagree. Every time I have heard Thomas speak or write on it, the only concern is "I" and how someone else should feel based on how he feels. There is no option to let others have their own experience. Your quote of Sotomayor clearly states she is thinking of others.

"Sotomayor says "I understand that, but I feel very differently. I know that I wouldn't be where I am today, but for the benefits of affirmative action. -- I don't want anyone else to be denied that opportunity. It doesn't undermine my sense of self, my ego is intact."

Its a positive experience for her so she wants everyone to have the same opportunity. Thomas had his opportunity but now wants to deny others the same thing he himself used to get ahead.

Lawrence Tribe

Cause Thomas is a good reasonable and honest person, and Sotomayor is an unreasonable, entitled, lying POS liberal.

Lawrence Tribe

Took the words right out my mouth. Thomas problems come from low self worth if he felt bad because of what others thought about him.

Lawrence Tribe

I disagree. Every time I have heard Thomas speak or write on it, the only concern is "I" and how someone else should feel based on how he feels. There is no option to let others have their own experience. Your quote of Sotomayor clearly states she is thinking of others.

"Sotomayor says "I understand that, but I feel very differently. I know that I wouldn't be where I am today, but for the benefits of affirmative action. -- I don't want anyone else to be denied that opportunity. It doesn't undermine my sense of self, my ego is intact."

Its a positive experience for her so she wants everyone to have the same opportunity. Thomas had his opportunity but now wants to deny others the same thing he himself used to get ahead.

You continually want to demonize Thomas, and that makes you tone deaf

have a nice day

Both Thomas and Carson used the exact same type of AA to get ahead. They both had their educations completely paid for by taxpayers. No loan repayments. Nothing. They are both hypocritical and sententious uncle toms whos primary goal seems to be an effort to "out white" white conservatives in the hopes of being accepted by them..

Forum List

Back