Advil Addict

William Joyce

Chemotherapy for PC
Jan 23, 2004
Caucasiastan
No, not me... but I wonder if sometimes if I take too much of this stuff. I'll take three or four if my head really hurts. For some reason, Tylenol does not work for me. Aspirin actually works better than Tylenol.

But I swear the Advil candy coating might be addicting...

Isn't Advil the same as Naproxing?

I imgaine they will find it can cause kidney damage, just as ibuprofen can.

Tylenol will kill your liver. If you od on tylenol you have exactly 72 hours to be treated, otherwise you die. After I left group home management, one of the girls at one of the homes I set up went on a home visit, and her mother gave her a bottle of tylenol for menstrual pain. The girl didn't tell anyone she had it (and her mother didn't tell staff....at least that's what I understand) and she just popped one whenever she thought of it. Nobody knew until she wouldn't get up one morning. She always slept in, so nobody thought of it, but in the afternoon they started to get alarmed, and realized they COULDN'T get her up.

To the hospital she went...and she never regained consciousness. It was too late to do anything for her. She swelled up like a balloon and died in about 4 days.

They are not exactly the same, but they are similar as they both belong to the proprionic acid family of NSAIDs.

Naproxen is the generic name for "Aleve"
Ibuprofen is "Advil".

The major risk with NSAIDs is stomach bleeds. Any drug can be hard on your kidneys if taken in excess.

Tylenol will kill your liver. If you od on tylenol you have exactly 72 hours to be treated, otherwise you die. After I left group home management, one of the girls at one of the homes I set up went on a home visit, and her mother gave her a bottle of tylenol for menstrual pain. The girl didn't tell anyone she had it (and her mother didn't tell staff....at least that's what I understand) and she just popped one whenever she thought of it. Nobody knew until she wouldn't get up one morning. She always slept in, so nobody thought of it, but in the afternoon they started to get alarmed, and realized they COULDN'T get her up.

To the hospital she went...and she never regained consciousness. It was too late to do anything for her. She swelled up like a balloon and died in about 4 days.

Tyelenol is acetaminophen, which has toxic metabolites that are really hard on your liver (espeicially with alchohol). There is essentially a dosage curve with acetaminophen. Once you exceed it, the only thing you can do to save someone is transplant a liver. People should be very careful with acetaminophen.

I am assuming that the pathology behind her swelling is that your liver makes most of the proteins that are in your blood and keep the fluid in the veins by osmosis. If your liver is shot, you make no proteins, the fluid leaks out (edema) and I would venture to guess that she ultimately died of shock.

That's an aside, but a very sad story for sure. People assume that Over the Counter means "safe". That is not true. To the OP, you should never exceed the dosage limits on your bottle. If that doesn't take care of your pain, you should go see a Dr. for other options. There is most likely another issue that needs to be addressed.

One more aside, my uncle is a pathologist. His first autopsy was on someone who had overdosed on aspirin. The patient had an abcessed tooth and just kept popping Aspirin for the pain until he went into a coma and died.

No, not me... but I wonder if sometimes if I take too much of this stuff. I'll take three or four if my head really hurts. For some reason, Tylenol does not work for me. Aspirin actually works better than Tylenol.

Fucking poison like most newer patent medicines.

Stick with ASA.

Thousands of years of using it (it used to be made from willow before Bayer isolated acetylsalicylic acid to produce ASA) shows us that it's relatively safe for use.

Those other "pain relievers"?

They're not safe, dude.

Last edited:

Why does your head "really hurt"?

They are not exactly the same, but they are similar as they both belong to the proprionic acid family of NSAIDs.

Naproxen is the generic name for "Aleve"
Ibuprofen is "Advil".

The major risk with NSAIDs is stomach bleeds. Any drug can be hard on your kidneys if taken in excess.

Tyelenol is acetaminophen, which has toxic metabolites that are really hard on your liver (espeicially with alchohol). There is essentially a dosage curve with acetaminophen. Once you exceed it, the only thing you can do to save someone is transplant a liver. People should be very careful with acetaminophen.

I am assuming that the pathology behind her swelling is that your liver makes most of the proteins that are in your blood and keep the fluid in the veins by osmosis. If your liver is shot, you make no proteins, the fluid leaks out (edema) and I would venture to guess that she ultimately died of shock.

That's an aside, but a very sad story for sure. People assume that Over the Counter means "safe". That is not true. To the OP, you should never exceed the dosage limits on your bottle. If that doesn't take care of your pain, you should go see a Dr. for other options. There is most likely another issue that needs to be addressed.

One more aside, my uncle is a pathologist. His first autopsy was on someone who had overdosed on aspirin. The patient had an abcessed tooth and just kept popping Aspirin for the pain until he went into a coma and died.

Ibuprofen can cause kidney damage. For years they said take as much as you like, if your stomach can tolerate it you're good to go...then they started seeing the results of long-term, high dosage ibuprofen usage. Kidney damage.

My mom has a variety of health issues (which have resulted in multiple surgeries to remove bone spurs from her spine, double hip replacements, etc) and she took huge doses of ibuprofen for years because she (she's a nurse) believed the hype that ibuprofen was essentially harmless and better than codeine (which she took in small amounts). Her kidney function started to go down about 10 years ago, and they took her off ibuprofen and it immediately came up to normal again.

Fucking poison like most newer patent medicines.

Stick with ASA.

Thousands of years of using it (it used to be made from willow before Bayer isolated acetylsalicylic acid to produce ASA) shows us that it's relatively safe for use.

Those other "pain relievers"?

They're not safe, dude.

You think aspirin is "safe"?

Any drug taken in excess is toxic. That's why we have dosages. ASA is a good OTC drug, but it's not a cure all, nor can you eat it like candy and expect to live.

how often are you taking three or four advils?

You can take ibuprofen in high doses. I have taken it off and on for back pain, 800 mg a dose, approx 4-6 hours apart for a couple of days at a time. That's the dosage my dr. gave me, and I've actually had a higher dosage.

I've had intermittent sharp pain at the base of my neck for years. When it comes, it comes on BIG TIME and lasts all day; then will not occur for weeks. I've practically OD'd on all of the OTCs trying to get rid of it and nothing worked until ... drumroll ... I bought one of those tiny tubes of HEAD-ON. Presto, immediate relief. It's a homeopathic remedy which can be slathered on as often as needed. I think it probably numbs the spot temporarily. But for this person who has pooh-pooh'd alternative medicine my whole life, I was simply amazed.

Now I'm seeing a Buddhist Monk for my mental condition (just kidding!!!)

I've had intermittent sharp pain at the base of my neck for years. When it comes, it comes on BIG TIME and lasts all day; then will not occur for weeks. I've practically OD'd on all of the OTCs trying to get rid of it and nothing worked until ... drumroll ... I bought one of those tiny tubes of HEAD-ON. Presto, immediate relief. It's a homeopathic remedy which can be slathered on as often as needed. I think it probably numbs the spot temporarily. But for this person who has pooh-pooh'd alternative medicine my whole life, I was simply amazed.

:lol:

Interesting. I've never even considered head-on, if for no other reason than their ads irritate the hell out of me lol. I'll have to pick up a tube and try it out just for kicks.

:lol:

Interesting. I've never even considered head-on, if for no other reason than their ads irritate the hell out of me lol. I'll have to pick up a tube and try it out just for kicks.

That was my reaction, too. Those irritating ads (not on anymore, however). But one weekend it went on sale (normally around $8.00 for about 1/4 oz.). So I asked the pharmacist about it, and he shrugged and said some people swear by it. For all the money I'd literally been throwing down the toilet and upsetting my stomach as well, I had nothing to lose. And it worked, for me anyway.

Why does your head "really hurt"?
^^^THE relevant post of the thread.

If your head "really hurts" all the time, you need to get it checked. Popping pills might dull the pain, but the pain is your "check engine" light and shit.

Normal stress headaches, maybe once or twice a month, the occasional hangover. All my life I've had occasional headaches and doctors have always called it within the range of normal.

I've about three or four migraines in my life, which really sucked the big one.

At the most for a half-day headache, I'd take maybe six or seven... three, then a few hours later, four.

I've also tried Advil PM or Tylenol PM, but these drugs just make my ass draggy in the morning.

Forum List

Back