Advice wanted and needed on future

I am 33 years old,have a GED and a Class B cdl which I never got to use due to a back injury requiring surgery RIGHT after I got my CDL and at this time my driving record is so bad no trucking company would take a chance on me and pay the high insurance. Been on disability due to the back injury but I am sick and tired of sitting around doing nothing,now wife is in college for medical assistant and I want to do something as well problem is I have NO CLUE what I want to do.

Would LOVE to be a librarian but its a 4 year degree and would be online because only 1 college which is a pain to get into,would LOVE to be a history teacher again same issue its 4 year degree. I tried college once at a technical college and didn't even get through 1 semester because I foolishly went into Computer Science because I liked computers only to realize I found it EXTREMELY boring to want to work on them etc so I quit....dumb move now that I look back....so any ideas here? I thought about being a Paralegal but reading on it says most people want a 4 year degree now and I just don't have the patience to get through that...I think I can push myself to get a 2 year degree though...I just don't have the patience to take pointless classes like college wanted me to do...I have applied for a Library Assistant job but doubt I will get it as it prefers someone who speaks Spanish as well as English but who knows. So any ideas?

Oh and I would love to get into heavy equipment operation but not much around here for that there are schools but not exactly got the money for it. I am going to call the department of labor tomorrow because they sent me something that says they will pay to retrain me in something but I need some clue as to what I want to do before I do that or its just a waste of time. I am interested in being a game warden but don't have the physical abilities and I have a record that's been sealed but still it would hold me back from that. I really have no interest in being a drag on society any longer its grown very old I just want to support my family best I can and wife going back to college has lit a fire under my ass.

It's a problem when you basically have to reach a certain area of work by a certain age and only with one choice.

This is why kids should be making decisions at the age of around 13 to 16. But often they don't have a clue. Some need to be pushed in one direction. We know there are kids who are good at certain things. But they also need to be given a chance to try things out. I got to a point where I had to make choices, and like you chose computers because.. I liked computers and hated it and failed it. I might have liked psychology, but they never told me about psychology. Some kids I knew went off and did psychology and I was like.... what is it?

I got kind of lucky in that I found a job I could get better at over time, though it doesn't pay so well, and I think had I had better knowledge of the whole process, I'd be in a better position right now. Though I'm happy where I am.
When I lived in Germany, children made the decision to pursue a career in the trades or academics at that age. It seemed to work then.

I am 33 years old,have a GED and a Class B cdl which I never got to use due to a back injury requiring surgery RIGHT after I got my CDL and at this time my driving record is so bad no trucking company would take a chance on me and pay the high insurance. Been on disability due to the back injury but I am sick and tired of sitting around doing nothing,now wife is in college for medical assistant and I want to do something as well problem is I have NO CLUE what I want to do.

Would LOVE to be a librarian but its a 4 year degree and would be online because only 1 college which is a pain to get into,would LOVE to be a history teacher again same issue its 4 year degree. I tried college once at a technical college and didn't even get through 1 semester because I foolishly went into Computer Science because I liked computers only to realize I found it EXTREMELY boring to want to work on them etc so I quit....dumb move now that I look back....so any ideas here? I thought about being a Paralegal but reading on it says most people want a 4 year degree now and I just don't have the patience to get through that...I think I can push myself to get a 2 year degree though...I just don't have the patience to take pointless classes like college wanted me to do...I have applied for a Library Assistant job but doubt I will get it as it prefers someone who speaks Spanish as well as English but who knows. So any ideas?

Oh and I would love to get into heavy equipment operation but not much around here for that there are schools but not exactly got the money for it. I am going to call the department of labor tomorrow because they sent me something that says they will pay to retrain me in something but I need some clue as to what I want to do before I do that or its just a waste of time. I am interested in being a game warden but don't have the physical abilities and I have a record that's been sealed but still it would hold me back from that. I really have no interest in being a drag on society any longer its grown very old I just want to support my family best I can and wife going back to college has lit a fire under my ass.

It's a problem when you basically have to reach a certain area of work by a certain age and only with one choice.

This is why kids should be making decisions at the age of around 13 to 16. But often they don't have a clue. Some need to be pushed in one direction. We know there are kids who are good at certain things. But they also need to be given a chance to try things out. I got to a point where I had to make choices, and like you chose computers because.. I liked computers and hated it and failed it. I might have liked psychology, but they never told me about psychology. Some kids I knew went off and did psychology and I was like.... what is it?

I got kind of lucky in that I found a job I could get better at over time, though it doesn't pay so well, and I think had I had better knowledge of the whole process, I'd be in a better position right now. Though I'm happy where I am.
When I lived in Germany, children made the decision to pursue a career in the trades or academics at that age. It seemed to work then.

Yes, still happens. I worked in a HTL (technical school) in Austria. From the age of 13 they were being pushed towards something.

Forum List

Back