Advice please!

MeBelle

MeBelle 4 Prez 2024
Jul 16, 2011
So, Santa came early and got me a new desktop.
It comes with Nortons, which I have on my old desktop and do not want to have to purchase again. (have not transfered files and progies yet)
I downloaded AVG for my new babe.
I know you guys are pro's at freeware.

Please tell me what I need (with links preferably) and keep it clean you horn dogs, to protect my new babe! :eusa_angel:

AND..........what do y'all think of Norton?

TYIA

It comes with Nortons, which I have on my old desktop and do not want to have to purchase again. (have not transfered files and progies yet)

Please tell me what I need (with links preferably) and keep it clean you horn dogs, to protect my new babe! :eusa_angel:

TYIA

I just bought a Mac and did so because I spoke to the IT guys from at least 10 companies wh all said that they would never buy a PC for their personal use, but always recommended them at work.

Why?

Macs almost never break down and if all businesses used macs, IT guys would pretty soon be out of work.

Since you bought a PC, though, these same guys said that Norton is the best on the market.

If you have kids and a husband in the house, put on parental controls that are bullet proof.

I prefer Avast or Avira to AVG since AVG has become almost as big a resource hog as Norton.

Avast Free Antivirus - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Avira Free Antivirus - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Use either one in conjunction with Malwarebytes.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

I use the Windows provided firewall and have not had any issues except one which Stinger removed.

You'll also want CCleaner to maintain your system.

CCleaner - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

When installing any of these (or any software) watch for screens that come up with other software already checked off to install like Ask or Bing, etc. Uncheck these items before proceeding.

TYIA

I used Free AVG for years and it worked very well. I got a free McAffee with my computer so I'm using that now. Norton is commonplace, I suppose it is as good as anything.

Last edited:

TYIA

I used Free AVG for years and it worked very well. I got a free McAffee with my computer so I'm using that now. Norton is commonplace, I suppose it is as good as anything.

I don't like McAffee having used it previously. I do like Nortons and I have already PAID for it darnital!

Thanks you all ROCK. I am out of rep...I must spread it too easy ;)

TYIA

I don't like McAffee having used it previously. I do like Nortons and I have already PAID for it darnital!

Norton is good at what it does, the problem is Norton acts like a virus itself and infuses every part of your system which makes it a gigantic drain on you computers resources. Why use it when Avast or Malwarebytes by themselves will do the same job for free and not be a massive drain on resources?

I prefer Avast or Avira to AVG since AVG has become almost as big a resource hog as Norton.

Avast Free Antivirus - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Avira Free Antivirus - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

I use the Windows provided firewall and have not had any issues except one which Stinger removed.

When installing any of these (or any software) watch for screens that come up with other software already checked off to install like Ask or Bing, etc. Uncheck these items before proceeding.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHrOE2-Fl8o]Biz Markie - Just A Friend - YouTube[/ame]

TYIA

Zone Alarm as a firewall. (Not freeware)
Norton security sucks.
Love AVG.

Norton is the communist of anti viruses. Try avast you will like it. But I think you will have to uninstall norton first.

I HATE norton

I use all those programs. They are all I need, and they are free :cool:

TYIA

Zone Alarm as a firewall. (Not freeware)
Norton security sucks.
Love AVG.

I used Zone Alarm for years but finally dumped it. Don't remember exactly why but it would have been due to some negative response on my part.

I've had Norton on my laptop for 2 years and I've had it. Too many times background tasks slow everything down and quick scans do not even finish but freeze the computer. I even uninstalled it 3 times in the last 2 months and used the power eraser but its still messes things up. Thankfully my subscription runs out in 30 days and I can get something else.

Forum List

Back