Advice for Job Interviewers

I wish the interviewers who are responsible for the most powerful job in the entire world had asked Barry Hussein some simple questions like where the hell he was born.

Hey, interviewing applicant after applicant gets pretty boring. So when you get a democrat/liberal fucking with them breaks up the monotony. They're not going to get hired anyway.

Thanks for proving my point, genius. Just follow my advice and society will benefit.

I'm not working to help society. I work to provide for my wife and I.
My boss does well, I do well.

That's no excuse for your being an asshole. But given your attitude, don't you EVER complain about anything in life again when it comes to your being inconvenienced by societal services and infra-structure on any level.

So again, in the interest of lowering stress levels and promoting good will in our society, people in the Human Resource/Personnel business with attitudes like the aforementioned should just stick to the basic Q & A interview. Make sure to finish with, “We’ve other applicants to interview, and will call you if we don’t find a better candidate”. That way, they don’t add insult to injury, the company doesn’t get bad mouthed in the streets, and they avoid a possible discrimination lawsuit.

Last edited:
Things are brutal in this tough Obama economy.
Good luck to all of you out there.
I ran into a guy I used to work with
He is now out of work 4 years.
I have someone close to me out of work almost 2 years now.

So I get a little fed up with Obama and his ass kissers like Valerie Jarret
who always tells those that interview her that the President is doing great job
with the economy...

Hey, ask your buddies if they've gone through what I've described in the OP instead of being a typical neocon/teabagger flunky.....blaming everything on Obama and ignoring who set up this shit pile of an economy.

You're buddy has been out of work for 4 years? So that means Obama's policies DID NOT AFFECT HIS INITIAL UNEMPLOYMENT!

Another guy's been out of work for 2 years.....maybe he should contact all those corporations who are holding off hiring because they don't want regulation and oversight that would curtail their off shore accounts, screwing people out of their pensions, downsizing so they can outsource for cheap labor, and union busting for privatization of EVERYTHING!

You think for more years of reaganomics on steriods can do better? Man, get the crack out of your pipe!

We interviewed a guy with years of experience in the automotive industry, including Honda...he can't get a job. A lot of the people I interviewed had been out for years.

True that! Which is why I wish interviewers with attitudes like the ones I described in the OP would take my advice and spare them more angst.

I wish the interviewers who are responsible for the most powerful job in the entire world had asked Barry Hussein some simple questions like where the hell he was born.

Stop acting fucking stupid and deal with the subject matter of the OP, you neocon/teabagger flunky!

Nothing is more annoying than having your time wasted by being interviewed for a job by someone who has no interest in hiring you.

The interviewing process is not one of selecting the best candidate. They (we) believe it is, but study after study has shown that it isn't. We try, but the reality is that a) life isn't a controlled laboratory experiment b) we can't repeat the experiment enough times to really refine it.

When it comes to the actual interviewing, either a) they don't really know what the best candidate skills actually are or b) most candidates are perfectly qualified given the known skills. The interview process then comes down to finding faults, eliminating people based on what ever random faults the interviewer can come up with until they are left with the least objectionable candidate. In essence, it's a biased test.

I once got totally trounced on because I wore a white shirt and red tie to an interview for a manufacturing engineering position. The fundamental reason I lost it was because it simply pissed me off, having this a-hole making such a big deal out of something so f'in stupid. It was just a f'in clean shirt and tie, it didn't mean anything. I generally find that, when I get pissed off at the interviewer, it doesn't work out well from then on. I realized how much I really hate car salesman when I was just antagonistic going into an interview.

What it truly is about, except for the HR folk who see so many people that they are pretty much detached and objective, is ego stroking the interviewer, the department hiring manager. Half of the whole thing is simply if they like you.

I would suggest, for practice, go to the mall or just door to door and meet people, start up conversations. For really good training, find the local Kirby dealer and go through their training to sell door to door. It's all about feeling comfortable just making friends in the first couple of minutes. Smile, get them to talk, find out what they like, get them to smile. It's not the whole thing, not the technical jobs skill part, but it's a significant thing.

The Kirby thing is great because it trains you to not give a crap about the negative. In truth, we never know what the negative was. What we know is what we do to keep them interested. I smile, they smile. I laugh, they laugh. I mention something specific, they add more details. I've seek Kirby guys spend ten minutes at the door, for no good reason then just to see how long they could keep the person from closing it. Heck, just challenge yourself by picking some busy area and talking people into giving you a dollar.

Volunteer work. Volunteer work will provide references, contacts, and some kinds of experience.

Some experience, we just can't get. I gave up on some skills because I simply cannot compete in the market place where the next job, the new experience, goes to the guy with the most experience. He just keeps moving ahead. Better to find something that you can sell more off.

Don't underestimate the federal pell grants and technical schools. Medical is big and will continue to be big. Phlebotomy, medical coding, pharmacy tech are all good. The best thing to do is got to the pharmacy, to the hospital, and ask people working where they got their training and education. That's all you need to know, if they did it, you can do it.

You will be surprised what happens when you no longer give a crap, when it becomes just a game of making friends and seeing what BS you can come up with.

“why haven’t you achieved your goal by now?” is a bating question. My first thought is, "what makes you think I haven't" I wouldn't say. The answer is, "I have achieve by goals. I've achieved dozens of goals....." “this job isn’t what you went to school for, why would apply for it?” is just a bating question. The answer is, "School was an opportunity to demonstrate intelligence and commitment. The choice of subjects wasn't necessarily for my eventual career path. I couldn't possibly predict the future with that much accuracy. If it happened to work out that way, great. If not, nothing lost because, whatever the subject, what I really learned and demonstrated is project oriented commitment. What I gained is a record, a history, documented proof of my capability to achieve excellence." Or, you can go with, "I had to pick something when I decided to get a degree. The important part was picking something and committing to it. And, frankly, right now I just need to work. I can't sit around waiting for the perfect job. And the important thing is that I can commit to a goal and see it to the end."

If you happen to be interviewing for a job where you have the experience, great, that adds the upper cut to the one-two punch. If the job is not down your ally, down your line of experience, then you still have the one-two punch. What you gotta believe, gotta get across, is that the technicalities aren't that important, not as important as the fact that your smarter, more dedicated, and pay attention. Every manner of individual with experience has ended up just sucking at a job. Every business, every job, has it's details that no manner of training will prepare you for. The important thing is that you have a history of stepping up to the plate and hitting that home run.

Oh, and, this is the job you really want. Sure, you've interviewed for other jobs, but when you read this job description, it just spoke to you.

I swear, there are two types of interviewers and they ask the same questions. The HR interviewers have asked the same question a hundred times. They are expecting to be bull shitted. If they aren't expecting to be bull shitted, simply looking to see if you can sustain good bs, then they simply can be bs'ed. They either expect good bs or they don't know better.

Someone in HR said that they are there to answer three basic questions, 1) can you do the job, 2) do you want to do the job, and 3) can they stand working with you while you do the job.

At some point, it's all a bit random. You never know why you didn't get the job. And, like the Kirby salesman, if your dependent on the sale every time, you'll go nuts. The interview has to be an end, in an of itself. Success in each step has to be a reward, in an of itself. Just getting the interview, just getting a smile, a laugh, a good feeling about it when you leave, has to be a reward on it's own accord. Each step has to be because, in the end, landing that job is the result of a string of successes of all the successive steps.

In the end, half of it is just random dumb luck. You just don't know what the other person really wants. Some actually want specific skills. Others want to feel in control, that they have power. Some just want a Mini-me, someone just like them. If they start talking about their last fishing trip, instead of the job position, that's someone looking for a "Mini-me". Always leave the interviewer feeling smart, just a little smarter then you.

Sometimes, they actually don't want to hire someone. It was their boss that told them to hire someone. Some stuff, we just can't do anything about.

Your correct in most situations. Basic qualifications are check boxes, then it's all up to whether the person hiring you wants to be around you.

But since the HR manager or the company personnel manager is usually NOT "being around" the people they hire, there's no excuse for the BS I cited in the OP.

Well, just so you know...

we don't consider people who have been out of work for 4 years seriously. My boss is committed to hiring only people who are working...even if it's just part time washing dishes. I was seriously pulling for a supremely qualified candidate who hasn't worked in some years...but she lives on a reservation and it can be very hard to leave everybody behind...it came down to her and another girl who is working as a night auditor at a motel...I think the night auditor is going to get it. They both rocked the test and scored the same on everything else.

Last edited:
Nothing is more annoying than having your time wasted by being interviewed for a job by someone who has no interest in hiring you.

The tip off is when they ask questions like, “why haven’t you achieved your goal by now?” or “this job isn’t what you went to school for, why would apply for it?”

Just once, you would like to answer, “Because people like YOU:

(1) Seem to think that you would never encounter one of those people that are affected by the bad economy you’ve read about all these years.
(2) Only hire those with experience…but if the economy is bad, and hiring is at a stand still, how does one get experience without a job.
(3) Don’t like people of my age, or gender, or race, or ethnicity, or religion, or economic class or political/social views.
(4) Read my resume and liked what you saw, but were put off when you actually met me because of .. (see number 3).

But instead, you go through the humiliating motions of justifying part of your life to some clown looking for any excuse not to hire you because (let’s face it) ain’t nothing going on but the rent!

So, in the interest of lowering stress levels and promoting good will in our society, people in the Human Resource/Personnel business with attitudes like the aforementioned should just stick to the basic Q & A interview. Make sure to finish with, “We’ve other applicants to interview, and will call you if we don’t find a better candidate”. That way, they don’t add insult to injury, the company doesn’t get bad mouthed in the streets, and they avoid a possible discrimination lawsuit.

Because they Know they have you by the short hairs, short of licking there balls and asses
or being bilingual or working for $8.00 an an hour , your fucked under the Obama regime.:eek:

The tip off is when they ask questions like, “why haven’t you achieved your goal by now?” or “this job isn’t what you went to school for, why would apply for it?”

(1) Seem to think that you would never encounter one of those people that are affected by the bad economy you’ve read about all these years.
(2) Only hire those with experience…but if the economy is bad, and hiring is at a stand still, how does one get experience without a job.
(3) Don’t like people of my age, or gender, or race, or ethnicity, or religion, or economic class or political/social views.
(4) Read my resume and liked what you saw, but were put off when you actually met me because of .. (see number 3).

But instead, you go through the humiliating motions of justifying part of your life to some clown looking for any excuse not to hire you because (let’s face it) ain’t nothing going on but the rent!

So, in the interest of lowering stress levels and promoting good will in our society, people in the Human Resource/Personnel business with attitudes like the aforementioned should just stick to the basic Q & A interview. Make sure to finish with, “We’ve other applicants to interview, and will call you if we don’t find a better candidate”. That way, they don’t add insult to injury, the company doesn’t get bad mouthed in the streets, and they avoid a possible discrimination lawsuit.

I only bolded that section because it is the most telling.

The first question is asked to see who you hold accountable for your success or lack thereof.
Your statement, "because of people like you" answers that.

The second question goes to motivation and helps me determine your retention.

The rest of your post is more whining and blaming.

And as usual, YOU IGNORE the rest of the post in order to just make your assertions seem more palatable when you attach them to out of context quotes.

But in the interest of sparing us all more of your BS, let me straighten you out:

If the interviewer is seeing you, that means that the credentials they have seen on your resume fit the criteria necessary for the job his company needs filled. Why should they be put off that your original college degree was in a generic or unrelated field? Especially in the last 30 years with an economy that's seen more downsizing and out sourcing since the Great Depression, or that an applicant may have accured over 20 years of practical real life job experience? If the interviewer is of the mindset that one must ONLY achieve in the field of their original study, then that pretty much eliminates a good portion of potential candidates. Best to tell the personnel agency this or limit his recruitment to that criteria instead of WASTING PEOPLE'S TIME!

Got that, bunky?

If you're coming into my my MRI center with a degree in Geology I'm concerned with how much time I'm going to have to spend training you and how long you're going to last once something in your field opens up.

Why don't you feel that those are legitimate concerns?
Why does it have to feel like it's a personal affront to you?

I'm looking for someone that is a good fit for the future success of my company.
I'm not looking for the person that needs the job the most.
I'm looking for the person I need the most.

Well, just so you know...

we don't consider people who have been out of work for 4 years seriously. My boss is committed to hiring only people who are working...even if it's just part time washing dishes. I was seriously pulling for a supremely qualified candidate who hasn't worked in some years...but she lives on a reservation and it can be very hard to leave everybody behind...it came down to her and another girl who is working as a night auditor at a motel...I think the night auditor is going to get it. They both rocked the test and scored the same on everything else.

And there you go!

Years ago, when I was laid off during Ronnie Reagan's recession, I had the good fortune to come across a personnel agency manager who was a sweetheart....she told me that personnel agencies take the position that if you're unemployed for more than a few months, the problem is YOU and not the availability of jobs. BUT, if you spend more time working as at Kinkos until that job in your chosen field opens up than you do in that field...the blame again goes to you and NOT the lousy job market. And if you do NOTHING but collect unemployment and move back in with your parents, NO ONE IS GOING TO HIRE YOU.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't....and THAT revelation was nearly 30 years ago.

Sad.

Because they Know they have you by the short hairs, short of licking there balls and asses
or being bilingual or working for $8.00 an an hour , your fucked under the Obama regime.:eek:

Newsflash....this crap was going on LONG before Obama was even a senator. Here's what I told Koshergirl:

Years ago, when I was laid off during Ronnie Reagan's recession, I had the good fortune to come across a personnel agency manager who was a sweetheart....she told me that personnel agencies take the position that if you're unemployed for more than a few months, the problem is YOU and not the availability of jobs. BUT, if you spend more time working as at Kinkos until that job in your chosen field opens up than you do in that field...the blame again goes to you and NOT the lousy job market. And if you do NOTHING but collect unemployment and move back in with your parents, NO ONE IS GOING TO HIRE YOU.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't....and THAT revelation was nearly 30 years ago.

Sad.

I only bolded that section because it is the most telling.

The first question is asked to see who you hold accountable for your success or lack thereof.
Your statement, "because of people like you" answers that.

The second question goes to motivation and helps me determine your retention.

The rest of your post is more whining and blaming.

And as usual, YOU IGNORE the rest of the post in order to just make your assertions seem more palatable when you attach them to out of context quotes.

But in the interest of sparing us all more of your BS, let me straighten you out:

If the interviewer is seeing you, that means that the credentials they have seen on your resume fit the criteria necessary for the job his company needs filled. Why should they be put off that your original college degree was in a generic or unrelated field? Especially in the last 30 years with an economy that's seen more downsizing and out sourcing since the Great Depression, or that an applicant may have accured over 20 years of practical real life job experience? If the interviewer is of the mindset that one must ONLY achieve in the field of their original study, then that pretty much eliminates a good portion of potential candidates. Best to tell the personnel agency this or limit his recruitment to that criteria instead of WASTING PEOPLE'S TIME!

Got that, bunky?

If you're coming into my my MRI center with a degree in Geology I'm concerned with how much time I'm going to have to spend training you and how long you're going to last once something in your field opens up.

If you advertise for a position with your MRI Center that has specific requirements and background, why on earth would you even consider someone with a Geology background and NO experience relevent to the position needed? Do you not get the resume BEFORE you interview the person? Your "expample" makes no sense. I talking about the someone with say a geology degree but has instead accured a few years of skills and experience dealing with the requirements you need. Hell, the yo-yo economy in the last 30 years should clue you in as to why this person may not have excelled in his field....PERHAPS THE JOB MARKET DID NOT HAVE POSITIONS AVAILABLE FOR THEM. And people have to pay bills...and they'll learn new skills to pay those bills. Also, unless you're talking about a career move and not a job move, what's the guarantee that a person with ONLY the background you require won't bolt at the chance of better pay and benefits, etc.?

See above response. And I'm putting out a gripe that has accured over 30 years...and by the responses here, I'm not alone in these experiences. It's "personal" because it's happening to YOU! Because some joker decides to waste YOUR time with some BS instead of just doing a few routine questions and politely saying "we'll call you back if needed after we finish the interviews this week."

I'm looking for someone that is a good fit for the future success of my company.

No kidding? Then you should follow my adivce and NOT waste the time and money of an applicant that you have no interest in hiring.

Got that, bunky?

If you advertise for a position with your MRI Center that has specific requirements and background, why on earth would you even consider someone with a Geology background and NO experience relevent to the position needed? Do you not get the resume BEFORE you interview the person? Your "expample" makes no sense. I talking about the someone with say a geology degree but has instead accured a few years of skills and experience dealing with the requirements you need. Hell, the yo-yo economy in the last 30 years should clue you in as to why this person may not have excelled in his field....PERHAPS THE JOB MARKET DID NOT HAVE POSITIONS AVAILABLE FOR THEM. And people have to pay bills...and they'll learn new skills to pay those bills. Also, unless you're talking about a career move and not a job move, what's the guarantee that a person with ONLY the background you require won't bolt at the chance of better pay and benefits, etc.?

See above response. And I'm putting out a gripe that has accured over 30 years...and by the responses here, I'm not alone in these experiences. It's "personal" because it's happening to YOU! Because some joker decides to waste YOUR time with some BS instead of just doing a few routine questions and politely saying "we'll call you back if needed after we finish the interviews this week."

No kidding? Then you should follow my adivce and NOT waste the time and money of an applicant that you have no interest in hiring.

You're the one that brought up having the unrelated educational background.
:eusa_hand:

Forum List

Back