Advice for going to Croatia

Ok....some fairly weird tips so far.

Croatia is stunning, and if you tell us a little more about your plans, I'm sure you will get better tips.

I would recommend the islands, particularly Korcula, although Hvar is also nice. They are beautiful, and great for swimming and lazing around. It feels like the Italy of 20 years ago.

Dubrovnik is essential, but VERY touristy. It is a fascinating town, but a day or two is enough for most people.

Zagreb is not a major highlight for most people.

The food is wonderful - look out for squid-ink risotto!

Just to correct a couple of errors on this thread - DEFINITELY "bother" going, as the country is one of the real gems, and if you are going in summer, prepare for considerable heat.
All true. Dubrovnik is a must...2 days or so... Plitvice Lakes National Park is not to be missed. One of the most amazing things I've ever seen. We went around end of October and the fall color made Plitvice even more spectacular.

We started in Ljubljana in Slovenia, rented a car and drove all over Slovenia (which is also beautiful) and then drove all over Croatia. The coast drives were beautiful and the towns along the way were fun. Piran was a great little town. Make Zagreb your last stop for a night before taking the train or a flight elsewhere. There are Roman ruins everywhere in Croatia. Get yourself a Lonely Planet guide and read up. Croatia has tons to offer.

It's a little out of your way but do a day trip to Plitvice National Park in Croatia. Day tours run from Split and it is well worth it and mostly tourist attract toward the Croatia...

Forum List

Back