Advertisers should "shut down"

Mr.Fitnah

Dreamcrusher
Jul 14, 2009
Paradise.
Rhode Island Gov: Advertisers should "shut down" divisive talk radio
Rhode Island's new Governor Lincoln Chafee is taking his views on talk radio a step further.

Chafee now tells reporters that the best way to stop "divisive" talk radio is to get sponsors to yank their ads.

The Providence Journal reports Chafee as saying, "Those that pay — the advertisers — should shut them down. My view is that some of these people don't even believe what they are saying, but they are making money off it. They're selling this divisive and highly emotional [content] … because it sells. So the advertisers have to shut them down." The former Republican-turned-Independent governor has had his own run-ins with conservatives, including Ann Coulter. Chafee has been a target of the right after calling Sarah Palin a "wacko" in 2008.

News : Rhode Island Gov: Advertisers should "shut down" divisive talk radio | Radio-Info.com

Zambia: Mongu riots leave two dead
Two people have died following the riot in Mongu today over the Barotse agreement. Home Affairs Minister Mkondo Lungu confirmed the two deaths and arrest of about hundred people in connection with the riot.

And Government has said that it will not condone any group of people that will continue spreading hatred, tribalism and violence in the country.
Acting government spokesperson Dora Siliya said that anyone who wants to take the law into their own hands will be dealt with firmly to send a signal to all thinking that government is soft on the matter.

Ms Siliya has called on people of Western province to remain calm and not to allow the situation to worsen.
Addressing a press in Lusaka today, Ms. Siliya said it was unfortunate that the group calling itself the Black Bulls are taking advantage and misleading youths.
Ms. Siliya said youths should be vigilant and ensure that they are not victims as they will only be the ones to be exposed to the police.
She said it is the reason why government has sent a full force of police to diligently deal with the matter in the province.
And Radio Lyambai in Mongu has been closed. Sources at the radio station confirmed to QFM that the radio station was closed this morning when police stormed the station and confiscated computers.
The source says the station was closed for airing voice pops of people on the Barotse agreement.

Mongu riots leave two dead | LusakaTimes.com

The left will do ANYTHING to shut down Conservative talk,Linking it to the Arizona shooting failed so now they move to the fairness doctrine.When that fails they will get someone who knows his way around blackmailing sponsors to drop talk radio and when that fails they will move on to something else.

The left will do ANYTHING to shut down Conservative talk,Linking it to the Arizona shooting failed so now they move to the fairness doctrine.When that fails they will get someone who knows his way around blackmailing sponsors to drop talk radio and when that fails they will move on to something else.

Why is the right so convinced that we on the left give a shit about conservative talk radio?

Oh, yeah. That's right - because right wing talk radio hosts stir up the fear of the "fairness doctrine" in order to make their listeners keep listening.

Why is the right so convinced that we on the left give a shit about conservative talk radio?

Oh, yeah. That's right - because right wing talk radio hosts stir up the fear of the "fairness doctrine" in order to make their listeners keep listening.

I see you are batting Zero again. Talk show hosts don't make their listeners do anything. ;)

I see you are batting Zero again. Talk show hosts don't make their listeners do anything. ;)

You're right. A poor choice of words on my part. But my point still stands.

I hear many many more Conservatives fear mongering about the "Fairness Doctrine" than I see Liberals calling for its return...

You're right. A poor choice of words on my part. But my point still stands.

I hear many many more Conservatives fear mongering about the "Fairness Doctrine" than I see Liberals calling for its return...

Fair enough. There were good points and bad points about the Fairness Doctrine. There was good reason to pull the plug. Government needs to focus more on impartiality, maintaining a fair playing field, and less on advancing it's agenda on someone else's dime. NPR should have been off of the tit long ago.

I have to look at it this way, at least Chaffee is not looking for a way to get the government to shut it down.

As far as I am concerned if corporations do not want to advertise on a particular show, then more power to them. They have the right to choose which talking heads they want to advertise with. I have no problem with what he said. It sure as heck beats calling for using the Constitution as toilet paper.

Immie

The only reason talk show hosts can earn a living as talk show hosts is because they are paid by advertisers who DO believe they can make listeners do something.

Why do you people believe that an advertisement can get a person to buy a product, but you don't believe that a talk show host can influence anyone to do anything?

Yeah, cause Governor Chafee is really a right wing talk radio host.

Don't forget Net Neutrality.

Network neutrality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The only reason talk show hosts can earn a living as talk show hosts is because they are paid by advertisers who DO believe they can make listeners do something.

Why do you people believe that an advertisement can get a person to buy a
product, but you don't believe that a talk show host can influence anyone to do anything?

To be honest, people are smart enough to figure out what is pure bullshit and what isn't. You need to let them decide for themselves. Liberals are afraid of this simple concept. The worst thing a person living in denial can imagine is facing a truth they won't accept.

And so it goes on.

They want to squash freedom of speech, and they use an unrelated shooting to make the attempt.

Makes you want to bust a cap in someone's ass.

Capitalists have every right to squelch freedom of speech in their corporate media.

And so it goes on.

They want to squash freedom of speech, and they use an unrelated shooting to make the attempt.

Capitalists have every right to squelch freedom of speech in their corporate media.

We happen to be Human Beings first. Human Beings that do not appreciate your dictates shoved down our throats. ;) Keep with the censorship spin. Hopefully those still capable of reason will still continue to get by without you spoon feeding us, what you think we should be told.

And so it goes on.

We happen to be Human Beings first. Human Beings that do not appreciate your dictates shoved down our throats. ;) Keep with the censorship spin. Hopefully those still capable of reason will still continue to get by without you spoon feeding us, what you think we should be told.

Huh? Are you saying that provate corporations should make their decisions on what to show/air based on what you want or what makes them money?

that is the way broadcasters make their money, thru selling advertisements.

I personally think a metered pay as you go TV system would be better.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back