Advanced degrees

Does having an advanced degree make you intelligent?

• Total voters
True! And if it's a subject like sociology or polic-sci or even mathematics, you usually don't have to think too much. Just memorize a few things and get an 'A'. :cool:

Well, most of the time.

I always had a fucking group project to do with people that would make rdean look like a genius: There would ALWAYS be a couple of Chinese guys who were paying tuition that the school was lapping up, but who couldn't write, and could barely speak English.

To maintain the gravey train of foreign student tuition payments, there had to be groups of one English speaker to 2 or three non-English Speaker, and one or two morons.

Yeah. Have I mentioned 100 times that I hate group projects? As one being graded. As an instructor I count group grades as low as possible, putting the bulk on individual. The losers hide behind group.

My point is that in graduate school, my experience as a student was the opposite.

Yes......having a degree does prove you have a brain

scarecrow_oz.gif

It proves your brain functions sufficiently well to meet the minimum requirements for THAT DEGREE at THAT SCHOOL.

But consider this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0wk4qG2mIg]YouTube - Harvard Graduates Explain Seasons[/ame]

Isn't Harvard in Boston? So consider that these GRADUATES spent four years there. Imagine these BRILLIANT undergraduates sitting in classrooms and SNOW is falling outside the windows. These people don't know that it is SUMMER IN AUSTRALIA!!!

What does that say about the curiosity of these people?

Are the schools producing people with INTELLECTUAL TUNNEL VISION?

And then we have so many people that believe in INTELLECTUAL AUTHORITY.

Can't ask about the distribution of steel in a skyscraper. :cuckoo:

Now that picture of the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz is extremely telling. The Scarecrow wanted a BRAIN. The Wizard gave him a DIPLOMA. What is the REAL MESSAGE THERE. The schools can't give you a brain. They may put some information into it. They may test how well it works. But they can't install one. So a person either had one going in and managed to put up with the BS the school dished out but they did not PAY TO GET A BRAIN. :lol:

psik

Forum List

Back