Advanced degrees

Does having an advanced degree make you intelligent?

• Total voters
No. It means one completed the requirements for an educational program.

If one were stupid beforehand, it doesn't magically transform one into an intelligent being.

However, learning does improve the ability of the mind to function, and in theory, at least, exposes one to new concepts...

I have known many educated idiots, however.

Intelligence is the measurement of knowledge. Wisdom is the application of that knowledge. An advanced degree does mean that you are intelligent it does not tell you, however, that you know how to apply it.

Advanced degree or terminal degree?

For example, I don't consider a non-thesis master degree that difficult to get. It requires some graduate work, but depending on the topic that can be a function of time rather than intelligence. A Ph'D in the other hand requires an original contribution to the field, which typically requires mastery of at least one advanced area.

I think it also depends on the degree. I do not believe that a stupid person could get a bachelor's level degree in mathematics as it means completion of several proof based courses. But I will concede, I am biased. My Ph'D is in Mathematics.

I will add that I get annoyed by colleagues that insist on being called Dr outside the classroom. My degree in math makes me an expert in mathematics, but not an authority on politics, medicine, law, climate change, evolution, etc. It does mean that I know how to synthesize and deduce from information at hand, so as long as I "do My homework" it's rare I'll say something stupid. It's when I try to talk about topics I have little knowledge of I get in trouble.

Last edited:

For example, I don't consider a non-thesis master degree that difficult to get. It requires some graduate work, but depending on the topic that can be a function of time rather than intelligence. A Ph'D in the other hand requires an original contribution to the field, which typically requires mastery of at least one advanced area.

I think it also depends on the degree. I do not believe that a stupid person could get a bachelor's level degree in mathematics as it means completion of several proof based courses. But I will concede, I am biased. My Ph'D is in Mathematics.

I will add that I get annoyed by colleagues that insist on being called Dr outside the classroom. My degree in math makes me an expert in mathematics, but not an authority on politics, medicine, law, climate change, evolution, etc. It does mean that I know how to synthesize and deduce from information at hand, so as long as I "do My homework" it's rare I'll say something stupid. It's when I try to talk about topics I have little knowledge of I get in trouble.

:clap2:

An advanced degree can be a good indicator of intelligence but it depends a great deal on what that degree is in.

All humans are intelligent to some degree. A piece of paper doesn't automatically make you more intelligent than others.

That's sort of a universal truth there, Dr.

My grandfather on my Dads side was a Doctor, who built his own hospital.
My uncle on my Moms side didn't finish kindergarden, who went on to own a number of business and died a wealthy man.

whenever we visited Grandpa, he would always tell Mom and Dad to say hi to Uncle Don from him.

Education does not make you intellegent, it just means you learned something from a book and classroom.

It's not the cards you are delt. It's how you play your hand.

Education does not make one intelligent.

It merely makes the intelligent better informed.

Yes......having a degree does prove you have a brain

scarecrow_oz.gif

Book learning helps but it doesn't help to make you more intelligent and more rounded if you don't have life experience to go along with it.
It does not make you intelligent if you have book education but you do not have any common sense.
My Grandmother did not have education higher than 6th grade, but she was a very wise woman.

Intelligence | Define Intelligence at Dictionary.com

in·tel·li·gence   /ɪnˈtɛlɪdʒəns/ Show Spelled
[in-tel-i-juhns] Show IPA

–noun
1. capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity; aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings, etc.
2. manifestation of a high mental capacity: He writes with intelligence and wit.
3. the faculty of understanding.
4. knowledge of an event, circumstance, etc., received or imparted; news; information.
5. the gathering or distribution of information, especially secret information.
6. Government .
a. information about an enemy or a potential enemy.
b. the evaluated conclusions drawn from such information.
c. an organization or agency engaged in gathering such information: military intelligence; naval intelligence.
7. interchange of information: They have been maintaining intelligence with foreign agents for years.
8. Christian Science . a fundamental attribute of god, or infinite Mind.
9. ( often initial capital letter ) an intelligent being or spirit, especially an incorporeal one, as an angel.
Use intelligence in a Sentence
See images of intelligence

It does not make you intelligent but it does prove a certain level of intelligence to acheive an education.

Last edited:

–noun
1. capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity; aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings, etc.
2. manifestation of a high mental capacity: He writes with intelligence and wit.
4. knowledge of an event, circumstance, etc., received or imparted; news; information.
6. Government .
c. an organization or agency engaged in gathering such information: military intelligence; naval intelligence.
7. interchange of information: They have been maintaining intelligence with foreign agents for years.
9. ( often initial capital letter ) an intelligent being or spirit, especially an incorporeal one, as an angel.

It does not make you intelligent but it does prove a certain level of intelligence to acheive an education.

If you were half as smart as you think you are, you'd know that providing a link to define the word 'intelligence' makes you look really fucking stupid.

–noun
6. Government .

If you were half as smart as you think you are, you'd know that providing a link to define the word 'intelligence' makes you look really fucking stupid.

only in the minds of those who hate the real definitions of words.

Forum List

Back