Adults now 'huffing' more than kids

Shadow

Silver Member
Aug 16, 2008
Land Of Enchantment
Adults now 'huffing' more than kids

It’s called huffing – inhaling chemical vapors to get high. It's usually associated with teenage drug abuse, but a new report suggests that's not really the case. The majority of Americans abusing inhalants are not children but adults, according to a study from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.

More than 1 million adults were “huffing” last year, according to SAMHSA’s newly released “Data Spotlight Study,” based on data from treatment facilities across the country.

That’s more than those who used crack or LSD, Heroin or PCP. In fact, the study found 54% of all people who sought treatment in 2008 were adults over age 18.

Adults now 'huffing' more than kids – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs

I never got the whole huffing thing. ive worked with some of the things used (spray paints, electrical cleaners, etc) and all ive ever gotten from breathing the crap in while working is a massive headache.

• Banned
I never got the whole huffing thing. ive worked with some of the things used (spray paints, electrical cleaners, etc) and all ive ever gotten from breathing the crap in while working is a massive headache.

Apparently it's a very cheap quick high. They listed several household items used for this that I would never have thought of .

" a wide range of common household products are abused: glue, spray paint, markers, hairspray, air freshener, nail polish remover, deodorant, computer keyboard cleaner, paint thinner, spot removers, even cooking sprays and whipped cream sprays. "

Who knew you could get high on whipped cream or cooking spray??

Last edited:
I think it's a coming of age thing if I am using the right term.
The "practice" has been around now a good decade plus, so it's not "new" to adults looking for a buzz so to speak.

Apparently it's a very cheap quick high. They listed several household items used for this that I would never have thought of .

" a wide range of common household products are abused: glue, spray paint, markers, hairspray, air freshener, nail polish remover, deodorant, computer keyboard cleaner, paint thinner, spot removers, even cooking sprays and whipped cream sprays. "

Whipped cream uses nitrous oxide (laughing gas) as a propellant, as NO does not curdle the cream. This is probably the safest of all the inhalents to use, as it has a use as a pain killer.

In actuality it is almost impossible to get a high off of it, as the amount of nitrous is so small. on the other hand in college someone i know had some in a canister. it was "interesting" as in Ok did it once, not real fun, back to weed.

Also, for refrerence, doing nitrous from redi-whip is called doing "whippets"

I think it's a coming of age thing if I am using the right term.
The "practice" has been around now a good decade plus, so it's not "new" to adults looking for a buzz so to speak.

So..it's there and they know it will give them a quick buzz because they tried it as kids. Much like the people who will drink mouthwash or vanilla extract for the alcohol.

Whipped cream uses nitrous oxide (laughing gas) as a propellant, as NO does not curdle the cream. This is probably the safest of all the inhalents to use, as it has a use as a pain killer.

In actuality it is almost impossible to get a high off of it, as the amount of nitrous is so small. on the other hand in college someone i know had some in a canister. it was "interesting" as in Ok did it once, not real fun, back to weed.

Also, for refrerence, doing nitrous from redi-whip is called doing "whippets"

Interesting. But it does make me remember kids in college eating spoonfuls of nutmeg trying to get a high from that. Apparently it can give you hallucinations...or so they were told.

Forum List

Back