Adultery

Done it? Had it done to you? Considering it?

What is your stance on adultery?

Here's mine (gained after a lifetime of sorrows of all sorts): There is no excuse. If you are unhappy, fix it or move on. Lying and cheating are so destructive to everyone involved they can never be justified.
Amen!

Well, not if you say, "Honey, I'm going to go screw the waitress at the bar on the corner" and you end up having a blazing fight over it.

Generally, though, if you're telling your spouse stuff like that, it's because your marriage has accommodations for that sort of thing.
It sounds like you're not taking into account all the spouses that know about it but don't approve or have any kind of "open" relationship. Sometimes cheated spouses know they're being cheated on. I don't think it has to be a secret to be adultery.

What I find most puzzling, and a little hypocritical about adultry is this. Gay marriage is supposidly the destruction of the sanctity of marriage, and preachers and clergy of almost all religions condem it. They speak quite openly and viciously against it, they take an active role in the persecution of gays i.e. rights restrictions.

Now, it has been quite some time since I set foot in a church, but attended a catholic school for twelve years, and was even an altarboy at one point. I spent several years attending other religious institutions trying to find my religious center, until I decided on my own path to God. In my search not once have I ever heard clergy of any faith talk about the sin of adultry. Never have I heard them say it was a sin, and never did they condem anyone for that sin.

I believe this subject is avoided because most of the people sitting in the pews on Sunday have been divorced, or are commiting adultry presently. To condem this behavior openly would drive away the parishoners, and when the parishoners leave so does their money. I'm not saying that this is the case, but it sure does leave one open to believe that is the case. If it walks like a duck, smells like a duck, looks like a duck it must be a duck.

What I find most puzzling, and a little hypocritical about adultry is this. Gay marriage is supposidly the destruction of the sanctity of marriage, and preachers and clergy of almost all religions condem it. They speak quite openly and viciously against it, they take an active role in the persecution of gays i.e. rights restrictions.

Now, it has been quite some time since I set foot in a church, but attended a catholic school for twelve years, and was even an altarboy at one point. I spent several years attending other religious institutions trying to find my religious center, until I decided on my own path to God. In my search not once have I ever heard clergy of any faith talk about the sin of adultry. Never have I heard them say it was a sin, and never did they condem anyone for that sin.

I believe this subject is avoided because most of the people sitting in the pews on Sunday have been divorced, or are commiting adultry presently. To condem this behavior openly would drive away the parishoners, and when the parishoners leave so does their money. I'm not saying that this is the case, but it sure does leave one open to believe that is the case. If it walks like a duck, smells like a duck, looks like a duck it must be a duck.

Don't be blaming just the ducks now ! Chickens do it too.

Well, not if you say, "Honey, I'm going to go screw the waitress at the bar on the corner" and you end up having a blazing fight over it.

Generally, though, if you're telling your spouse stuff like that, it's because your marriage has accommodations for that sort of thing.
It sounds like you're not taking into account all the spouses that know about it but don't approve or have any kind of "open" relationship. Sometimes cheated spouses know they're being cheated on. I don't think it has to be a secret to be adultery.

Depends on how you think of "secret" in this case. Does the spouse know because you both talked about it, or because he/she figured it out and decided to suffer in silence? That's not an "open" relationship. Furthermore, if your spouse knows something like that and decides to suffer in silence, then your marriage DOES have accommodations for that sort of thing. Not a GOOD accommodation, and not a healthy one, but it has one.

Look at the example, though, if you can take a second away from trying to find a way to be negative. I said it didn't qualify if your spouse knows and they're pissed off about it. I then went on to say that GENERALLY, if the two of you talk about such things - as in, without a fight or other acrimony - then your marriage has accommodations.

No matter how much people might want to believe that the culture they live in is the "right" one and the "right" way of doing things, it doesn't automatically follow that anything that deviates from one man-one woman monogamy is adultery.

I have to say that your experience of churches must be very selective, or you're just not remembering well, because LOTS of churches talk about adultery and the need to honor marriage vows, whether they accept divorce or not (and divorce is not viewed in the same category as adultery by a number of churches). In my lifetime, I've lost track of the number of times I've heard pastors talk about and condemn not just adultery, but all the other many ways that people can violate their marriage vows and/or damage their marriages.

Here's mine (gained after a lifetime of sorrows of all sorts): There is no excuse. If you are unhappy, fix it or move on. Lying and cheating are so destructive to everyone involved they can never be justified.

go biblical and call your lovers concubines

I have to say that your experience of churches must be very selective, or you're just not remembering well, because LOTS of churches talk about adultery and the need to honor marriage vows, whether they accept divorce or not (and divorce is not viewed in the same category as adultery by a number of churches). In my lifetime, I've lost track of the number of times I've heard pastors talk about and condemn not just adultery, but all the other many ways that people can violate their marriage vows and/or damage their marriages.

Same here... I have to say that I've also never heard one sermon even mentioning gays, let alone 'condemning' them. If there are churches out there who do that, they are few and far between from my experiences.

• Thanks
Reactions: mal
The VERY LEAST you can expect in a marriage is fidelity. Once that is gone, the marriage is over. Trust has been broken between the two and cannot be fully restored.

Last edited:

That it is a cowardly thing and proves that person has hate for themselves. Shows a weak individual with no respect for themselves or others.

Same here... I have to say that I've also never heard one sermon even mentioning gays, let alone 'condemning' them. If there are churches out there who do that, they are few and far between from my experiences.

I have heard the pastor of the church I grew up in mention homosexuals on several occasions over the years, as well as pastors of churches I've visited. However, while they were clear that homosexual behavior IS a sin, that is not the same as "condemning homosexuals", and in fact, it was usually their main point that Christians should not let their belief that homosexual behavior is sinful blind them to the fact that they have a duty to love their fellow man and show compassion, not hatred.

Forum List

Back