Adult Swim Thread...

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by insein, Oct 30, 2006.

1. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Figured i'd start one to discuss adult swim shows. I know at least Dan and myself will respond to it.

The new Aqua teens are awfully, well, weird. An episode about a giant penis cutting off penis' and building a penis ship is weirder than normal for ATHF. Then the last one where they make a dog and it wants to rape Carl. It was funny but definitely off the wall.

Frisky Dingo is now on my tivo schedule. Killface is the funniest part of the show i think but its worth watching all around.

Stroker and Hoop is all reruns but they are classic.

When the hell is new Korgath coming?

Robot Chicken has some good moments but its begining to bore me.

Harvey Birdman is always good.

Thats all my random thoughts on the Comedy Part of AS. Anime is all different and im not sure if anyone on here likes anime, so why bore people with my musings on the shows.

2. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I'm really enjoying the new lineup, it reminds me of old-school Adult Swim (all the way in 2004).

Aqua Teen I thought was great last night. They're using Carl a lot this season, which is fine right now, but I worry that he'll get old after a while. Let's give Shake the spotlight a little. That said, this week's was better than last week's. I loved that Handbanana "brought this family together" even as he was raping Carl. And Carl getting nude in his backyard was pretty funny, too.

I officially like Frisky Dingo. At first, I wasn't sure, but it's good stuff. You can definitely tell it's the same team behind Sealab, I think that's why I like it.

I don't like Stroker and Hoop at all. Never even been able to sit through a full episode of it.

Ditto Korgath.

I'm with you on Robot Chicken. At first, I thought it was okay, nothing great, but bearable. Now, I really never even watch it anymore. It's basically the same thing every single week (80's toys in adult situations and/or movie parodies). It's like they took a Family Guy script, removed all the plot, and just left the cutaway jokes. The unfunny ones, i mean.

Birdman is good, I'm sad to see it go. I was afraid it wouldn't work without Stephen Colbert, but last night's was good and Colbert-less.

No love for 12 Oz. Mouse? It's definitely the most out-there of any of the Adult Swim shows, but I've really gotten into it. It sort of reminds me of Twin Peaks. I've heard that it makes it better if you've been hanging with your little green friend, if you know what I mean.

3. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    12 oz mouse i tried but the animation remind me too much of squidbillies. Just can't handle it.

Stroker and Hoop has this strange humor that hits you at different angles. Like the last episode i watched had them as body guards for MC Homicidal Rapist. I thought that was hillarious in and of itself. Stroker is just such an ass to people and Hoop is such a dumbass but not in a retarded way (more like a strung out hippy kinda way) it makes for good tv.

Yea the leaving of Stephen Colbert i hope doesnt hurt Birdman. Phil's antics were some of the best moments in that show.

You like the anime at all, Dan?

4. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    What about Metalocalypse? That has got to be one of the funniest thins I've seen in a LOOOOOOONG time.

5. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Havent really caught Metalocalypse yet. IT seems funny.

6. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Metalocalypse seems to me to be trying to go for that Heavy Metal feel and it doesn't do it well.

7. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    It pokes fun at the whole death metal culture, and does a very good job at it.

8. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Somewhat. I'm a death metal fan and totally not with the culture ;)

9. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I forgot Squidbillies! I love Squidbillies, even when it's way too weird, it's still different, and I really like the way it's drawn.

Metalocalypse doesn't do much for me. I assume you have to be a fan of death metal to truly appreciate it?

Insein, there are a few anime shows that I can sort of get into, Samurai Champloo being the standout, but I don't really watch any of them all that often. I appreciate anime, as it is probably some of the best animation anywhere, but I'm almost always busy on Saturday nights, and besides that, I assume Adult Swim edits the anime they show (is this true?), so I'd really rather see the DVDs anyway.

Unless we're including Super Milk Chan in this category, because I loves me some Milk Chan!

10. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Cartoon network edits the anime during the day like Dragonball, One Piece and such. Adult swim for the most part keeps them unedited. Most of the violence is intact. Im not sure about some of the translations as the character reactions don't always coincide with the words that they are speaking.

Anyway, yes Shamploo is like #2 for me behind Cowboy bebop. Ghost in the Shell is also right up there for the action and some of the best animation around. FLCL is great cause its a mind trip with only 6 episodes and you seem to notice something different everytime you watch it. Bleach has an interesting storyline and chracters you can grow to like. Trinity blood is out there (as most animes are). Don't know if i'll get into it so much. The rest bore me like Full MEtal Alchemist and Inuyasha.