Adult Interrogation Tactics in Schools

Sonny Clark

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2014
Gadsden Alabama
It seems schools are not confined to teaching our children, and are now broadening their scope of duties.

Adult Interrogation Tactics in Schools Are Turning Principals Into Police Officers
Extracting confessions through this method is only worsening the school-to-prison pipeline.

Adult interrogation methods do not belong in the classroom, so why are school administrators throughout the United States being trained to use them on their students in order to extract confessions?

John E. Reid & Associates is the largest interrogation trainer in the world and teaches such methods to hundreds of school administrators each year. Last month, members of the Illinois Principals Association, for instance, could register for a “professional development” event on “Investigative Interviewing and Active Persuasion." The School Administrators Association of New York State recently offered a workshop for administrators on this same topic, titled “Are you Sure They Are Telling the Truth”?

These administrators are learning the “Reid Technique,” which relies on "maximization” and “minimization" tactics in order to induce suspects to confess. Minimization focuses on reducing a suspect’s feelings of guilt, while maximization is designed to heighten suspect anxiety using confrontation. Both techniques are legal and both are incredibly coercive.
Controlled studies of Reid interrogation have documented that while such techniques may increase the likelihood that a guilty person will confess, they also increase the likelihood that an innocent person will as well. New research released in February found that the Reid technique causes witnesses to falsely implicate others.

Reid & Associates itself advises caution when using the technique on children, especially in schools. In addition to concerns about the efficacy of principal-administered interrogations are those involving basic fairness: school administrators are not required to issue Miranda warnings to children they interrogate on their own (without law enforcement present), so children are not advised of their rights to an attorney or to remain silent.

Adult Interrogation Tactics in Schools Are Turning Principals Into Police Officers Alternet
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What have we allowed to happen to this country? I remember when schools were concerned only with education.

It seems schools are not confined to teaching our children, and are now broadening their scope of duties.

Adult Interrogation Tactics in Schools Are Turning Principals Into Police Officers
Extracting confessions through this method is only worsening the school-to-prison pipeline.

Adult interrogation methods do not belong in the classroom, so why are school administrators throughout the United States being trained to use them on their students in order to extract confessions?

John E. Reid & Associates is the largest interrogation trainer in the world and teaches such methods to hundreds of school administrators each year. Last month, members of the Illinois Principals Association, for instance, could register for a “professional development” event on “Investigative Interviewing and Active Persuasion." The School Administrators Association of New York State recently offered a workshop for administrators on this same topic, titled “Are you Sure They Are Telling the Truth”?

These administrators are learning the “Reid Technique,” which relies on "maximization” and “minimization" tactics in order to induce suspects to confess. Minimization focuses on reducing a suspect’s feelings of guilt, while maximization is designed to heighten suspect anxiety using confrontation. Both techniques are legal and both are incredibly coercive.
Controlled studies of Reid interrogation have documented that while such techniques may increase the likelihood that a guilty person will confess, they also increase the likelihood that an innocent person will as well. New research released in February found that the Reid technique causes witnesses to falsely implicate others.

Reid & Associates itself advises caution when using the technique on children, especially in schools. In addition to concerns about the efficacy of principal-administered interrogations are those involving basic fairness: school administrators are not required to issue Miranda warnings to children they interrogate on their own (without law enforcement present), so children are not advised of their rights to an attorney or to remain silent.

Adult Interrogation Tactics in Schools Are Turning Principals Into Police Officers Alternet
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What have we allowed to happen to this country? I remember when schools were concerned only with education.

Ya well, I remember when children were childish.

So indiscipline was not corrected where you went to school?

• Banned

Ya well, I remember when children were childish.
Well, I remember when children were considered children, and treated as such.

Obviously anybody who would seek to punish innocents has no place in this country.

"That it is better 100 guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer, is a Maxim that has been long and generally approved; never, that I know of, controverted."
-- Benjamin Franklin; from letter to Benjamin Vaughn (March 14th, 1785)

• Banned

So indiscipline was not corrected where you went to school?
Very silly question. Yes, we had to behave in school. But, at the same time, we were children and treated as children. Yes, we were corrected in school, but were never denied any rights, nor treated as criminals.

I've already counseled my kids on the importance of not being a rat, a stool pigeon or divulging anything personal to officials in school, the public or police....
You've done the right thing. I commend you for taking that step.
When I took him to the doctor in December they ask me if there was any fire arms in the house..I told them it had nothing to do with his current condition and I would not answer yes, or no to the question...

Obviously anybody who would seek to punish innocents has no place in this country.

"That it is better 100 guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer, is a Maxim that has been long and generally approved; never, that I know of, controverted."
-- Benjamin Franklin; from letter to Benjamin Vaughn (March 14th, 1785)
Ben was smart. I agree with him 110%. Thanks for sharing.

We used to be so bad in art class. When someone had done something terrible (like poked holes in peoples' sculptures, put paint on a sponge and threw it on the ceiling, threw paint under the door and onto someone's shoes, put wet clay in someones backback or the substitute teacher's purse, or painted a demon on the wall lol) the teacher would take us outside one by one, interogating us and extracting as many details from us as she could. Most of the time she was able to discover who the culprit was lmao

I've already counseled my kids on the importance of not being a rat, a stool pigeon or divulging anything personal to officials in school, the public or police....
You've done the right thing. I commend you for taking that step.
When I took him to the doctor in December they ask me if there was any fire arms in the house..I told them it had nothing to do with his current condition and I would not answer yes, or no to the question...
Very well done. I applaud you. It's none of their damn business what you have in YOUR home.

As an insider who quit in disgust, I can tell you, education is not in the top five concerns of public education.

1. Indoctrination into the politics of dependency.

2. Anti-drug propaganda.

3. Social engineering.

4. Gender confusion.

5. Building compliant "citizens".

Somewhere along the line, some teaching takes place.

We used to be so bad in art class. When someone had done something terrible (like poked holes in peoples' sculptures, put paint on a sponge and threw it on the ceiling, threw paint under the door and onto someone's shoes, put wet clay in someones backback or the substitute teacher's purse, or painted a demon on the wall lol) the teacher would take us outside one by one, interogating us and extracting as many details from us as she could. Most of the time she was able to discover who the culprit was lmao

Yep, I was questioned many times for information about pranks, "children pranks", but never questioned like I was a criminal. We were kids, and kids are doing crazy and stupid things. We've all misbehaved growing up. That's what being a child is. But, we never did anything to be treated like criminals, and schools never subjected us to harsh questioning as though we had committed terrible criminal activities. The worst thing they did was call our parents. That was real punishment.

As an insider who quit in disgust, I can tell you, education is not in the top five concerns of public education.

2. Anti-drug propaganda.

3. Social engineering.

4. Gender confusion.

I agree, thanks for sharing. Schools have changed so much since my days in the classroom ( 1953 - 1965 ). My grandkids tell me things that's hard to believe. And, people wonder why we lag behind other nations in education.

Yep, I was questioned many times for information about pranks, "children pranks", but never questioned like I was a criminal. We were kids, and kids are doing crazy and stupid things. We've all misbehaved growing up. That's what being a child is. But, we never did anything to be treated like criminals, and schools never subjected us to harsh questioning as though we had committed terrible criminal activities. The worst thing they did was call our parents. That was real punishment.

2. Anti-drug propaganda.

3. Social engineering.

4. Gender confusion.

I agree, thanks for sharing. Schools have changed so much since my days in the classroom ( 1953 - 1965 ). My grandkids tell me things that's hard to believe. And, people wonder why we lag behind other nations in education.

The proof is in the pudding.

We are a nation of semi-literate dumbasses.

Our high school grads all know how to place a condom on a banana, but, leave without the means of earning the price of either.

2. Anti-drug propaganda.

3. Social engineering.

4. Gender confusion.

Our high school grads all know how to place a condom on a banana, but, leave without the means of earning the price of either.
You're 110% correct. Teachers become teachers because in most states, the benefits are attractive. They aren't really interested in preparing kids for the future. In most cases, our kids learn because they really want to, and because they understand the importance of an education better than the teachers do.

2. Anti-drug propaganda.

3. Social engineering.

4. Gender confusion.

Gross overstatement

2. Anti-drug propaganda.

3. Social engineering.

4. Gender confusion.

You're 110% correct. Teachers become teachers because in most states, the benefits are attractive. They aren't really interested in preparing kids for the future. In most cases, our kids learn because they really want to, and because they understand the importance of an education better than the teachers do.

Bullshit

Forum List

Back