Adobe CS5 Master Collection...

I always do.

GIMP is not even in the same category as ADOBE proprietary software. I wish it were, but it's not.

I agree.

But since I do not need to use photo manipulation software in a professional capacity, GIMP is all I need. I can't see shelling out the bucks for photoshop when all I use it for is goofing around occasionally.

I can't imagine anyone would say you should. :doubt:

Just making conversation Dante. Not saying that anyone has implied that.

We didn't "need" it. One of our "techs" gets a fat check for a multi-user account referral... He sold our Dept head on it for graph and chart/graphic work and publishing... Our new graphics dept wanted it so we were pressed into adopting it for a time... We no longer retain a graphics dept, so the bloatware went with them. Now we get our graphics done elsewhere.

I used adobe 5 years ago and it was much faster even then than now. it is bloatware and that is all too clear. it is built on the premise of consumption. THey bring out a new version every year just to push the buyer to upgrade. Often the features are not worth the trouble, and the tax on system resources forces the end user to upgrade their system to run it. Its a cycle of excess that feeds itself until it becomes a bloated piece of software full of unneeded and often unwanted bells and whistles.

Seriously how often do you use all of its features? And when you add in the money made in support books, plug-ins, training books, and all the rest its all too clear it is more about selling you crap than being functional.

Anyway thats my opinion of it and any similar software like it. Take it or leave it.. use it of you want to, pay the price tag every year or so. But realize, that when they do the modeling, rendering, and compiling of all those great pixar films, they use RISC systems and you will not find windows on them. 90% or better run Sun, Unix, or linux. Also the web is powered by linux.... Gotta be a reason for that especially given the effort and money microsoft spends to change it....
Most all your points I can agree with, in certain context. But you are wrong using past experiences as an argument against CS5.

I started out with MACROMEDIA in 2004, because there was nothing that came close to it. I had a developer's license for MX8 with FLASH Pro. I had just gotten my very first computer and broadband modem. I waited for speed in modems and broadband.

I tried learning things about SVG files and stuff that no browser supported. I tried learning lots of stuff (I wanted to learn the internet LOL). MACROMEDIA products allowed me to learn much more than I would have without them.

I did learn on my own, how to read codes, and hand code, and trouble shoot language scripts that I was not great at writing in or fully understanding. I did use MACROMEDIA products to enhance and build on my small understanding of things.

MACROMEDIA is now part of ADOBE. I use their products same way---as a tool for learning and experience, and creativity and more...

It is not slower to load on the latest computers as the ram is so much bigger. The processors are so much more powerful. I never upgraded for bells and whistles. In short, I was never an easy mark for marketing. Sounds like you were at some point.

:eusa_whistle:

Dante no offense but I am not sure you understood some of what I said there...

It was not MY choice to get CS3 it was a tech who convinced our superiors we would need it. The last Adobe software I owned personally was Photoshop back in 03' I believe. And it was given to me by my brother who thought I could use it as a supplement to my graphite and charcoal portraits. I used it somewhat, but it was a toy more than anything...

And one of the points I made about it being slower to load, is taking into account the demands on the system as well. As I said this pushes everyone to upgrade their systems just to run productivity software...

Anyway, I feel the "productivity" part in their software has been replaced by pomp and circumstance..... Either way glad you enjoy the software, and happy it helped you to learn...

I understand. I know there are parts of my software that I use as a toy. No problem, my computer is a toy as well as a tool. It too is not exactly cheap.

I think there is a danger of people doing what you say they do...follow the hype, but that is marketing. I still think the productivity part is there to be utilized. I think proprietary software is needed. I agree with Jaron Lanier ion this one. Findings - Jaron Lanier Is Rethinking the Open Nature of the Internet - NYTimes.com

Forum List

Back