Adminstration shreds the Constitution. Again.

The White House has tapped Elizabeth Warren as a special adviser to help set up the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, affirming its support for a tough new agency charged with protecting consumers from abusive lenders.

The move allows her to act as an interim head of the CFPB and will enable her to begin setting up the agency immediately and prevent the GOP from filibustering her nomination. Warren could serve until President Barack Obama nominates a permanent director to serve the five-year term -- a nomination he's not required to make for some time. Obama also could nominate her as the permanent director in the near future, a prospect that has been discussed among top aides, according to a person familiar with White House deliberations. Warren formally will be named as a special adviser reporting directly to Obama, and serving in a similar capacity to Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, later this week.

White House Taps Warren To Set Up Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/18/us/politics/18warren.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=elizabeth%20warren&st=cse

You weaken your arguments when you parrot right wing blogs without fact checking, The Rabbi.

As mentioned at the end of the editorial, if Dick Cheney had tried this he'd be accused of making a coup.
Why aren't liberals up in arms over this blatant disregard for the Constitution and the Senate's powers??
Review & Outlook: Elizabeth III - WSJ.com

Have you contacted a psychiatrist about this? Your hysteria is showing

Did you actually read the piece?

The WSJ has been known to get hysterical when attacking Democrats. But I know the story. This is a non story. It's all hype.

The White House has tapped Elizabeth Warren as a special adviser to help set up the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, affirming its support for a tough new agency charged with protecting consumers from abusive lenders.

The move allows her to act as an interim head of the CFPB and will enable her to begin setting up the agency immediately and prevent the GOP from filibustering her nomination. Warren could serve until President Barack Obama nominates a permanent director to serve the five-year term -- a nomination he's not required to make for some time. Obama also could nominate her as the permanent director in the near future, a prospect that has been discussed among top aides, according to a person familiar with White House deliberations. Warren formally will be named as a special adviser reporting directly to Obama, and serving in a similar capacity to Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, later this week.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/18/us/politics/18warren.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=elizabeth%20warren&st=cse

You weaken your arguments when you parrot right wing blogs without fact checking, The Rabbi.

First, the Wall St Journal editorial page is not a "right wing blog."
Second, your links do nothing to change the facts of the story, which are appalling.
But you don't see the problem with calling someone a Nazi, so why am I not surprised?

I wonder what other news organizations are saying about this? I wonder if they

Why? Do you get your views from a majority of news organizations?
But you don't care about corruption in government so what could I expect?

Second, your links do nothing to change the facts of the story, which are appalling.
But you don't see the problem with calling someone a Nazi, so why am I not surprised?

The Rabbi, you do know that Rupert Murdock has bought the WSJ and that that paper and the NY Times are involved in a subscriber war? But no matter.

Explain to me how appointing an interim director is unconstitutional...in your own words. I'm not feeling it.

As for the Nazi thing, I said "I wouldn't do it but if Halvorson's supporters did, so what?" Free speech, remember?

The Rabbi, you do know that Rupert Murdock has bought the WSJ and that that paper and the NY Times are involved in a subscriber war? But no matter.

Explain to me how appointing an interim director is unconstitutional...in your own words. I'm not feeling it.

As for the Nazi thing, I said "I wouldn't do it but if Halvorson's supporters did, so what?" Free speech, remember?

I don't knbw what Murdoch has to do with anything. The editorial page is independent. That was part of the term of sale.
It is unconstitutional because the agency is a major federal agency, and its head legally ought to be confirmed by the Senate. This has always been the practice. Appointing someone head and calling it temporary solely for the purpose of avoiding confirmation voting is en end run around the Constitution, which mandates the Senate give its advice and consent.
Just because something is legal does not make it right. Do you think it would be OK if Mitch McConnell got up in the Senate and called Obama a traitor, a wife beater, a racist, and a hypocrite who is taking bribes from the Chinese government?

As mentioned at the end of the editorial, if Dick Cheney had tried this he'd be accused of making a coup.
Why aren't liberals up in arms over this blatant disregard for the Constitution and the Senate's powers??

Have you contacted a psychiatrist about this? Your hysteria is showing

Did you actually read the piece?

I am sure he did not. This is blatantly Unconstitutional. The President can not name Special advisers outside the Cabinet that supersede the Cabinet WITHOUT Senate approval.

I doubt the Democrats care and as a Republican Senate leader I would first demand the Senate act and when it does not I would bring a suit in Federal Court against the White House and the leaders of the Senate.

RetiredGySgt wrote:

I am sure he did not. This is blatantly Unconstitutional. The President can not name Special advisers outside the Cabinet that supersede the Cabinet WITHOUT Senate approval.

I doubt the Democrats care and as a Republican Senate leader I would first demand the Senate act and when it does not I would bring a suit in Federal Court against the White House and the leaders of the Senate.

RetiredGySgt, have you got any case law or other authority to back up your claim, or are you just opining here?

RetiredGySgt wrote:

RetiredGySgt, have you got any case law or other authority to back up your claim, or are you just opining here?

Simple question for you? Can the President appoint a Cabinet member with out Senate approval? The answer is no, Thus how exactly can he appoint a person OVER a Cabinet member with out Senate approval.

Now he can have informal advisers but they can not be on the payroll nor hold any special offices in the Government.

Too bad that Warren is not director of that outfit. It is about time the power that the banks and other corperations use on the consumer is cut off at the knees.

What our President did was entirely Constitutional, and I hope the first Director of that agency that he appoints will make Warren look like a tame little poodle compared to a wolf.

How comical.....and, the type o' spin you'd expect, from a Murdoch-publication....​

"The chutzpah here is something to behold. The pride of Harvard Law School, Ms. Warren is a hero to the political left for proposing a new bureaucracy to micromanage the services that banks can offer consumers."

So....up to this point....banks have merely forgotten to protect their customers???

The banks turned-over all credit-card operations to outside-services, and what.....forgot to make those credit-card services promise not to rip-off the banks' customers??!!!

:eusa_eh:

Nice try, Rupert. I'm sure all the credit-card companies appreciate your efforts......but, we'll be just fine, now.
823.png

Forum List

Back