Administration Proposes Significant Cuts to Benefits of Slain Officers

NOBama

Sep 23, 2008
WASHINGTON -- The Obama administration is asking Congress to slash almost in half a 43-year-old Justice Department program that provides death, disability and education benefits to the families of slain police and public safety officers.

President Obama's 2010 budget reduces funding for the Public Safety Officers' Death Benefits Program from $110 million this year to $60 million for next year's budget.

The program, which pays benefits of more than $300,000 to the survivors of a safety officer killed in the line of duty, received $118 million in 2008.

Administration Proposes Significant Cuts to Benefits of Slain Officers - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com

BTW: "Killings of police officers reached their lowest point in decades last year, but are rising so far this year."

WASHINGTON -- The Obama administration is asking Congress to slash almost in half a 43-year-old Justice Department program that provides death, disability and education benefits to the families of slain police and public safety officers.

President Obama's 2010 budget reduces funding for the Public Safety Officers' Death Benefits Program from $110 million this year to $60 million for next year's budget.

The program, which pays benefits of more than $300,000 to the survivors of a safety officer killed in the line of duty, received $118 million in 2008.

Administration Proposes Significant Cuts to Benefits of Slain Officers - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com

BTW: "Killings of police officers reached their lowest point in decades last year, but are rising so far this year."

from your link:

"A Justice Department finance spokeswoman told FOX News that the proposed cut is a false statistic because the program requires "mandatory funding," which means the money is automatically paid to all the families of slain officers.

The proposed reduction to $60 million pertains to a projection for the Justice Department's planning purposes and last year's figure was high because it included a number of families that weren't in the system before, Justice spokeswoman Melissa Schwartz said.

"Any family member who is eligible for benefits under this program will receive them," she said. "If the amount of claims surpasses the amount requested, the program will be further funded."

i wonder if this counts towards the $17B obama said he's cutting?

Aren't you one of the ones frequently complaining about Govt spending? Maybe I'm confusing you for others.

from your link:

"A Justice Department finance spokeswoman told FOX News that the proposed cut is a false statistic because the program requires "mandatory funding," which means the money is automatically paid to all the families of slain officers.

The proposed reduction to $60 million pertains to a projection for the Justice Department's planning purposes and last year's figure was high because it included a number of families that weren't in the system before, Justice spokeswoman Melissa Schwartz said.

"Any family member who is eligible for benefits under this program will receive them," she said. "If the amount of claims surpasses the amount requested, the program will be further funded."

I bet there are other boondoggles like this embedded in the budget cuts. This one is just going to slow down the process of getting help to these families. Nothing like taking away incentive for cops to do the job...

Actually I don't think the feds should be paying this in the first place-cut it out, wholly.

The aid to families should come from local or county governments, along with police benevolent societies.

Actually I don't think the feds should be paying this in the first place-cut it out, wholly.

The aid to families should come from local or county governments, along with police benevolent societies.
Whoa! I actually agree with you.

I think, more likely, that Faux News is full of bull....

as per usual

it's amazing they don't hurt themselves with all that spinning.

:lol::lol::lol:
Yeah Care, real funny. :cuckoo:

This cut, if passed, will delay getting help to those who REALLY need it. Ask any cop what he/she thinks about it.

Nobama, I thought it was pretty funny! :lol:

I don't think it will delay one thing, and i am certain you don't either, if you read what the whole article says about it instead of taking certain things out of context!

Regardless, I happen to agree with Annie, THIS SHOULD NOT be a Federal program, these are LOCAL police and their community should support doing such once one of "theirs" has fallen....I am certain they could easily get community support much easier than you would think, to support the families of those that died....

It's just another hypocrisy to complain about cutting something like this out on the one hand and calling it pork on the other, ya know?

Nobody wants to get rid of their pet peeve spending or programs....there will be calls of unfairness called or names like unethical being thrown around all over the place from the left and the right, to keep ALL of these programs that the Feds should not be funding in the first place...

But we HAVE TO START somewhere, even if it is baby steps....

care

I agree also. Maybe add additional funding if need be but this should be a local and union issue.

from your link:

it sound to me that they have excess money that is not being used and should not be tied up any longer. And just Schwartz said, if they need additional funding they will get it.

Forum List

Back