Administration moving to protect children on the net

Posting online is really no different from being out in a public area. If you don't want your children "seen", keep them out of the venue.

In the modern world, that would be akin to telling them not to talk to anyone, for any reason, until they're grown.

Online is their social reality.

Not any different than telling a child not to talk to strangers in the park. Just because children enjoy being online does not mean that parents should give them unfettered access.
Well there's that, too.

My bullshit-o-meter absolutely pegs out any time I hear politicians say they're doing something for the chiiillllldrrrreennnnn...I smell a power grab here.

You couldn't be more stupid.

Liberty: Ability of individuals to have control over their own actions.

With no moderation of my liberty, what's to prevent me from doing anything I like to you? MY liberty would be preserved at the cost of YOUR safety.

Who would want to live in a world like that?

You're a real dummy. There are laws already enforced in regard to personal safety.. SPEECH, someone's right to say whatever the hell they want- doesn't harm you.. You just don't like it.. well that's too fucking bad.. This is America, not China.. Go take your ass over there.. you'll have plenty of restrictions.

Posting online is really no different from being out in a public area. If you don't want your children "seen", keep them out of the venue.

Yup. Parents should be in control of their kids. They should know what they are looking at on the internet. Where they are going and who they are seeing.

Mine sure as hell did.

Of course, I'm sure some will see it as the opening gambit in some secret, nefarious scheme to "regulate" the internet and, yes, I know that "It's for the children" is the most common phrase heard when more government control is called for, but we have to strike a balance between liberty and safety on the internet at some point.

Might as well start here.
You're a Stupid Old Man. Safety isn't Liberty. Liberty is Freedom. Freedom is Dangerous.

Safety is a Comfortable Prison.

^
posting from his bunker

I don't have a problem with these proposed rules. Businesses should NOT have the unfettered right to track children on the net or collect data about them without parental consent.

Do you?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/28/t....html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20120928

Spoke like a true leftist who despises liberty. I don't support ANY ban or attempt to regulate speech, PERIOD. The government needs to worry about DEAD Americans and keep their fucking nose out of protected speech.

:cuckoo:

Nothing at all. It is just that many parents are not too bright or they would not let their kids on Facebook anyway.

Be that as it may (there's really no solution to bad parenting), the reality is that Facebook does not require parental consent on its own, yet they are mining and selling data all the time. And, they're not the only ones.

So, if those businesses themselves will not voluntarily move to protect their young members and clients, who will other than the government? Who CAN, for that matter?

Not any different than telling a child not to talk to strangers in the park. Just because children enjoy being online does not mean that parents should give them unfettered access.

True. But when you tell a child not to talk to strangers in the park, nobody is following that child around making notes on where they go, who they know, what they read, what they look like and then selling that information to anyone who wants it.

They ARE doing that to children in the internet park.

Are you OK with that?

Nothing at all. It is just that many parents are not too bright or they would not let their kids on Facebook anyway.

Be that as it may (there's really no solution to bad parenting), the reality is that Facebook does not require parental consent on its own, yet they are mining and selling data all the time. And, they're not the only ones.

So, if those businesses themselves will not voluntarily move to protect their young members and clients, who will other than the government? Who CAN, for that matter?

HEY.. Are you listening?? PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.. It's not the job of the US government to police internet sites babysitting your kids! DO IT YOUR DAMN SELF.

True. But when you tell a child not to talk to strangers in the park, nobody is following that child around making notes on where they go, who they know, what they read, what they look like and then selling that information to anyone who wants it.

Are you OK with that?

WTF are you babbling about????

You're a real dummy. There are laws already enforced in regard to personal safety.. SPEECH, someone's right to say whatever the hell they want- doesn't harm you.. You just don't like it.. well that's too fucking bad.. This is America, not China.. Go take your ass over there.. you'll have plenty of restrictions.

Even free speech is not without its limitations. Were I to threaten you here with bodily harm (which I would never do), I'd rightfully be subject to arrest. So would you. Just as you cannot yell "Fire!" in a packed theater without cause, there are other legitimate restrictions on free speech.

So...let me ask again in the context of this thread: Is data mining free speech?

I don't have a problem with these proposed rules. Businesses should NOT have the unfettered right to track children on the net or collect data about them without parental consent.

Do you?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/28/t....html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20120928

Spoke like a true leftist who despises liberty. I don't support ANY ban or attempt to regulate speech, PERIOD. The government needs to worry about DEAD Americans and keep their fucking nose out of protected speech.

:cuckoo:

STFU old geeze... you would agree with him.. you're about useless..

My bullshit-o-meter absolutely pegs out any time I hear politicians say they're doing something for the chiiillllldrrrreennnnn...I smell a power grab here.

Mine does too, but that does not automatically mean it's some kind of conspiratorial power grab.

Are you OK with that?

Look.. it's simple. If you don't want that information tracked, keep your child offline. The internet has no way of knowing who is online unless you tell them who is online. Are you suggesting that somehow companies have a way of knowing the age of anyone online? And why would any parent allow their child to post such personal information anyway?

HEY.. Are you listening?? PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.. It's not the job of the US government to police internet sites babysitting your kids! DO IT YOUR DAMN SELF.

How do I do that when my grandkids are at school? Or, at a friends house? Or, visiting relatives out of town?

Please tell me how YOU control your kids internet activities 24/7, 365 days a year.

Wait...let me guess. You don't have any kids.

Mine does too, but that does not automatically mean it's some kind of conspiratorial power grab.
Right...But not so much that you won't go pimping for the power grabbers.

You lolberals crack me up.

Look.. it's simple. If you don't want that information tracked, keep your child offline. The internet has no way of knowing who is online unless you tell them who is online. Are you suggesting that somehow companies have a way of knowing the age of anyone online? And why would any parent allow their child to post such personal information anyway?

I noticed you didn't answer the question.

Yes, internet companies certainly DO have the ability to estimate the ages of their users, and with pretty darn good reliability. There are programs which track your every move on the net and analyze that data for a variety of marketing purposes (if not others) and they know about as much about you as you do. That applies to your kids as well.

E]
Right...But not so much that you won't go pimping for the power grabbers.

You lolberals crack me up.

If wanting to protect my grandkids from predators is "pimping for the power grabbers," I'm guilty.

What would you call a parent or grandparent who WON'T protect their kids from predators?

I noticed you didn't answer the question.

Yes, internet companies certainly DO have the ability to estimate the ages of their users, and with pretty darn good reliability. There are programs which track your every move on the net and analyze that data for a variety of marketing purposes (if not others) and they know about as much about you as you do. That applies to your kids as well.
Once again, it is the PARENT'S responsibility to know what their children are doing and saying online. Do you not check your child's profiles? Google their screen names? Children do not need smart phones to survive. Schools require YOUR permission before your child is allowed to access the internet and school computers are equipped to block web sites.
Raise your own children and quit expecting the government to do the job.

Once again, it is the PARENT'S responsibility to know what their children are doing and saying online. Do you not check your child's profiles? Google their screen names? Children do not need smart phones to survive. Schools require YOUR permission before your child is allowed to access the internet and school computers are equipped to block web sites.
Raise your own children and quit expecting the government to do the job.

A reasonable and simplistic ideal, but it doesn't fit in the modern world, does it? Things have changed and we must change with it.

And, by the way, I should point out that even if you could do what you say, your kids would still be at risk because of their associations with kids whose parents DON'T do those things.

If a predator can find one child, he can find everyone that child associates with...even yours.

Forum List

Back