Administration moving to protect children on the net

i am old school...they little fucks dont need ipad or fancy phones....but i dont see any problem not letting kids be data mined and tracked...but i still think more of it is up to parents

i am old school...they little fucks dont need ipad or fancy phones....but i dont see any problem not letting kids be data mined and tracked...but i still think more of it is up to parents

I'm old skool too and agree with you in principle. However, this is the 21st century and these kids exist in a world we old farts know very little about. They communicate and socialize in ways even H.G. Wells and Chester Gould never imagined. Even their parents can't control what they're doing in "the cloud" from moment to moment so somebody has to step in and tell those businesses and individuals who would track them, "That's far enough."

Of course, I'm sure some will see it as the opening gambit in some secret, nefarious scheme to "regulate" the internet and, yes, I know that "It's for the children" is the most common phrase heard when more government control is called for, but we have to strike a balance between liberty and safety on the internet at some point.

Might as well start here.

Of course, I'm sure some will see it as the opening gambit in some secret, nefarious scheme to "regulate" the internet and, yes, I know that "It's for the children" is the most common phrase heard when more government control is called for, but we have to strike a balance between liberty and safety on the internet at some point.

Might as well start here.
You're a Stupid Old Man. Safety isn't Liberty. Liberty is Freedom. Freedom is Dangerous.

Safety is a Comfortable Prison.

I don't have a problem with these proposed rules. Businesses should NOT have the unfettered right to track children on the net or collect data about them without parental consent.

Do you?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/28/t....html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20120928

Spoke like a true leftist who despises liberty. I don't support ANY ban or attempt to regulate speech, PERIOD. The government needs to worry about DEAD Americans and keep their fucking nose out of protected speech.

=LadyGunSlinger;6070445]
Spoke like a true leftist who despises liberty. I don't support ANY ban or attempt to regulate speech, PERIOD. The government needs to worry about DEAD Americans and keep their fucking nose out of protected speech.

Who said anything about protected speech? Unless, of course, you believe the unrestricted mining of personal and identifying data about YOUR children is "protected speech."

Are you OK with some unknown, invisible corporate bureaucrat knowing where YOUR children are, what they are doing, where they live, where they go to school, what they look like and then selling that information to anyone they like without you knowing one damn thing about it?

=Mad Scientist;6070432]You're a Stupid Old Man. Safety isn't Liberty. Liberty is Freedom. Freedom is Dangerous.

Liberty has its limits. Unrestrained liberty is the same thing as anarchy.

=LadyGunSlinger;6070445]

Who said anything about protected speech? Unless, of course, you believe the unrestricted mining of personal and identifying data about YOUR children is "protected speech."

Are you OK with some unknown, invisible corporate bureaucrat knowing where YOUR children are, what they are doing, where they live, where they go to school, what they look like and then selling that information to anyone they like without you knowing one damn thing about it?

All speech is protected you dumb fuck.. You liberal loons don't get to pick and choose what the hell offends you..

=Mad Scientist;6070432]You're a Stupid Old Man. Safety isn't Liberty. Liberty is Freedom. Freedom is Dangerous.

Liberty has its limits. Unrestrained liberty is the same thing as anarchy.
You couldn't be more stupid.

Liberty: Ability of individuals to have control over their own actions.

Anarchy: Society without a publicly enforced government or violently enforced political authority.

I don't have a problem with these proposed rules. Businesses should NOT have the unfettered right to track children on the net or collect data about them without parental consent.

Do you?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/28/t....html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20120928

pic-1-think-of-the-children.jpg

You couldn't be more stupid.

Liberty: Ability of individuals to have control over their own actions.

With no moderation of my liberty, what's to prevent me from doing anything I like to you? MY liberty would be preserved at the cost of YOUR safety.

Who would want to live in a world like that?

Posting online is really no different from being out in a public area. If you don't want your children "seen", keep them out of the venue.

Posting online is really no different from being out in a public area. If you don't want your children "seen", keep them out of the venue.

In the modern world, that would be akin to telling them not to talk to anyone, for any reason, until they're grown.

Online is their social reality.

So now children will need parental permission for a facebook account?

One can only hope that in the future legislation will be passed that will require monitoring chips be implanted in a child's forehead or hand so the government can track these little hellions.

In the modern world, that would be akin to telling them not to talk to anyone, for any reason, until they're grown.

Online is their social reality.

Not any different than telling a child not to talk to strangers in the park. Just because children enjoy being online does not mean that parents should give them unfettered access.

Forum List

Back