ADL hypocrisy

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
The Anti-Defamation League's opposition to building a mosque at the site of the 9/11 attacks betrays its own founding principles. Peter Beinart on the Jewish group's Muslim double standard. The other day, when the Anti-Defamation League came out against building a mosque near Ground Zero, I think I heard a sound—the sound of chickens coming home to roost.
The ADL calls itself “the nation’s premier civil rights/human relations agency.” Coming from an explicitly Jewish organization, that’s an audacious claim. But it’s an inspiring one, too. The ADL was born in 1913, after a Georgia jury falsely convicted a Jewish factory owner named Leo Frank of murdering a Christian employee. The men who defamed, and later lynched, Frank were anti-Semites. But they were not only anti-Semites. Three months after Frank’s murder, some of his tormenters met on Georgia’s Stone Mountain to refound the Ku Klux Klan, an organization that would now dedicate itself not merely to terrorizing African-Americans, but to terrorizing Catholics and Jews as well.

Against this backdrop, the founders of the ADL made their organization a kind of mirror image of the Klan. If the Klan saw anti-Semitism as one component of the struggle to maintain white, Protestant supremacy, the ADL would make its opposition to anti-Semitism one component of the struggle against white, Protestant supremacy. If bigotry was indivisible, anti-bigotry would be indivisible too. “The immediate object of the League is to stop, by appeals to reason and conscience and, if necessary, by appeals to law, the defamation of the Jewish people,” declared the ADL’s charter.

The Anti-Defamation League's Ground Zero Mosque Hypocrisy - The Daily Beast

I feel that the protesters are falling for the Islamist narrative that we're involved in a war of the West against Islam. I think all Christians, Jews, etc. should be worried about his. Who could be next? Should all Christian churches be banned anywhere near where an abortion doctor was gunned down?

Why is that some posters never make an effort to see if their great posts, which are at least a week out of date, have already been posted?

Forum List

Back