Addressing Disproportionate Minority Involvement in Violent Crime

Sit in a courtroom a few days and watch these black defendants in the courtroom. I have seen many innocent black men sent away simply because of their behavior. Why do they do it?

Wealth matters, uh huh, and there are no poor whites with court appointed attorneys or public defenders. All white people are rich. Yet a white guy even if guilty would walk when an innocent black man will be convicted. Why do they do it? Why do black defendants choose to act out some sort of urban rage in front of the jury?

I think there are multiple reasons. First, black kids are more likely to be exposed to trauma than white kids (statistically speaking). Trauma impacts a developing brain and can cause a near permanent flight/fight response to stress.

Second, poor socialization and conflict resolution skills at home and in their community. They model what they see acted out in front of them daily.

Third, poor legal representation. Most defendents require coaching before entering a courtroom.

Any of these things can happen to any defendent, but they are more likely to happen to someone from a poor, socially disorganized neighborhood, and blacks are much more likely than whites to reside in these conditions.

But this becomes awfully chicken-and-egg, no? The supply of excuses for black criminality never ends. They always "come from bad neighborhoods." But the neighborhoods are all black. Neighborhoods aren't "bad" -- they're populated by BAD PEOPLE. At some point, if you're not willing to admit that blacks are simply INHERENTLY more likely to be criminal, my patience runs out.

And to say that it's white lawyers' fault really takes the cake.

There is simply nobody out there forcing blacks to rape, rob, deal drugs and shoot (usually each other) to death. They're doing it themselves.

Nobody told Al Capone to line up six guys against a wall and machine gun them to death either.Nobody told those whites to grab a Black child and hang him or her from a tree either,and these bustards got away with it.

You know every thing you said in this post used to be said about white people living in bad neighborhoods.Like say Brooklyn,South Philly,Cicero etc. white people used to act the same way.Now its Black people,next it will be hispanics,then the asians.

Nah. The genetic difference between black and white people is a vast gulf. The genetic difference between southern Italians and Norwegians is a little gap.

At some point, if you're not willing to admit that blacks are simply INHERENTLY more likely to be criminal, my patience runs out.

The issue is poverty, not race, and there are multiple studies which have supported this finding.

here's one, and it cites several others:
http://www88.homepage.villanova.edu/lance.hannon/Forthcoming in the Journal of Poverty.pdf

Poor white neighborhoods and poor black neighborhoods have similar crime rates. However, black Americans are 3 times more likely to live in poverty than are white Americans.

I know how you think, but your thinking is simplistic.

Sit in a courtroom a few days and watch these black defendants in the courtroom. I have seen many innocent black men sent away simply because of their behavior. Why do they do it?

Wealth matters, uh huh, and there are no poor whites with court appointed attorneys or public defenders. All white people are rich. Yet a white guy even if guilty would walk when an innocent black man will be convicted. Why do they do it? Why do black defendants choose to act out some sort of urban rage in front of the jury?

I think there are multiple reasons. First, black kids are more likely to be exposed to trauma than white kids (statistically speaking). Trauma impacts a developing brain and can cause a near permanent flight/fight response to stress.

Second, poor socialization and conflict resolution skills at home and in their community. They model what they see acted out in front of them daily.

Third, poor legal representation. Most defendents require coaching before entering a courtroom.

Any of these things can happen to any defendent, but they are more likely to happen to someone from a poor, socially disorganized neighborhood, and blacks are much more likely than whites to reside in these conditions.

Well I'm glad I dont live in those conditions you mentioned. Our town is 60/40 % Black.We dont have shootings.

There is simply nobody out there forcing blacks to rape, rob, deal drugs and shoot (usually each other) to death. They're doing it themselves.
You can say the same thing for whites also,but mainly they are doing it to children,which is worst. Have you experienced being raped,robbed,brought drugs or sold drugs.Have you been shot to death,cause you sure sound like it on the board.

I think that the acting out is just that, an act. It is the act they have been trained to perform and that they have been expected to present for the public. It's how they have been told a black man should behave. We all have stereotypes we expect.

Well I'm glad I dont live in those conditions you mentioned. Our town is 60/40 % Black.We dont have shootings.

We don't have shootings in my neighborhood, either (it's 70/30 caucasian/black). But, the people in my part of town are uniformly in the top 20% income bracket and college-educated. There are shootings in the part of town where there are a lot of poor blacks and whites. The issue isn't race. It's economics.

Just an opinion but it seems to me that when people lose their faith, can't find a job and are forced to depend on generations of government handouts...eh... then life is is down to the basic's of survival mode and you have no firm beliefs to guide your path, life is chaos, uncertainty and fear...etc

My guess is that it brings out the worst in human nature and the false definitions of what it is to be a real man or a good woman take hold and is passed on.

I don't want this to get lost, and I don't want to type it again.

It's disgraceful when whites do it, but they're taking it from black culture, a culture that thinks everything is a fucking joke..

Actually, you're mistaken. When people "sag", they are taking it from white culture. It comes from cholo behavior and dates to the 1940s, when Hispanic (white) gang members wore zoot suits that were extremely large and baggy. The Los Angeles County jail forced inmates to remove their belts, and those big baggy pants sagged below their underwear. That sagging became synonymous for spending time in jail, and was adopted first by So Cal Hispanic gang members, and then widely adapted by black gangs like the Crips & Bloods in the 1970s and 80s. In fact, most of what we think of as gang culture in the U.S. is adopted from old WHITE gangs from Los Angeles like White Fence and others...the use of colored bandanas, etc., comes from that era.

Like a poison spreading through the society.

Actually, I consider racial hate based upon misinformation to be a much more insidious sort of poison, and you're actively attempting to spread it here.

Absolutely. I am a huge advocate of removing dangerous predators from society, regardless of their skin color.

I'm not saying that blacks are the only ones, but you'd have to be blind not to be shocked at 5 times the murder rate per black person over white.

I'm not blind, I've spent the last 20 years of my life working on this issue, trying to reduce violent crime. However, I think it's also important to understand, and state publicly, that violent criminals are a small subsection of American society.

Less than .03% of black Americans will ever commit a murder, IN THEIR LIFETIME.

Violent crime is at historically low levels in the U.S., in fact, our homicide rate is 1/4 of what it was in 1972 (40 years ago).

Are blacks disproportionately likely to commit a violent crime? Yes. There is no one involved in the criminal justice system who would dispute this fact. But, they are also more likely to live in poverty (in some cases, extreme poverty). They are more likely to attend substandard and inadequate schools. They are more likely to live in a dangerous neighborhood and be victimized by crime. They are more likely to be exposed to and threatened by gangs. They are more likely to experience major family disruption, as children.

If you wish to fix the involvement of black Americans in violent crime, it's important to fix the underlying social conditions that cause violent crime. I can't fix families by myself, but I can support and push for economic revitalization in urban areas. I can push for schools to attain minimal educational standards so all kids in America have an equal opportunity to learn and achieve. And, I can, and have, work to reduce the overall level of violence in communities so all the people who live there are safer.

Those things, we can fix. And, we should.

It isn't racist to point out reality!

It is racist to imply that all, or even a majority of blacks are violent criminals. And, by selectively quoting this data, out of context, as you have done, you've done this. And, I suspect that was your goal all along.

Well said.

Lost, unfortunately, on our resident racists, as their crania are filled with concrete.

Forum List

Back