Adding a new drive on Ubuntu

It's working!!!! Finally!!! I did have to enter Nautilus as a SU and change the permissions, once that was done I was able to write to the Storage HD. :WooHooSmileyWave-vi:

Damn! I have a lot more DVDs than I thought........ The small box is almost done and it's around 40 DVDs worth........ I have a box that's more than twice it's size waiting to be done. Good thing I picked up a 1 TB drive.

One thing I noted right off the bat was the drive wasn't auto-mounting, watched a quick video, auto-mounted the drive in Disks, super easy.

Don´t you convert them? HEVC or something?
M4v
With DRM? Scary? I am working on converting my movies to HEVC (x265). It reduces the size at least in half without losses.

I'm just learning all of this so I just used the default in HandBreak, don't know any different. It's working, that's all I care about.
I tried it with Handbrake but they forced me to make mkv files. So I found Internet Friendly Media Coder (free), where you can choose mp4.
HEVC is for example the new standard on iPhones or terrestrial TV. What you record with an iPhone should be HEVC.

Don´t you convert them? HEVC or something?
M4v
With DRM? Scary? I am working on converting my movies to HEVC (x265). It reduces the size at least in half without losses.

I'm just learning all of this so I just used the default in HandBreak, don't know any different. It's working, that's all I care about.
I tried it with Handbrake but they forced me to make mkv files. So I found Internet Friendly Media Coder (free), where you can choose mp4.
HEVC is for example the new standard on iPhones or terrestrial TV. What you record with an iPhone should be HEVC.
Okay........ I don't record with an iPhone let alone any other phone.

One thing I noted right off the bat was the drive wasn't auto-mounting, watched a quick video, auto-mounted the drive in Disks, super easy.
Bad mistake, seems the video neglected at least one major element, not sure what it was specifically but it screwed up the Grub bootloader, really screwed it up. So now I have the storage drive disconnected while I reinstall my OS. If it's too easy........

Finally try a decent OS...
Yeah, Kubuntu.........

Besides, it might not have been the auto-mount that did it. Installed Ubuntu but on reboot it wouldn't boot up, tried Kubuntu and had the same problem..... Looks like the old hard drive in this machine might have decided it was time to join many old hard drives in hard drive heaven....... We'll see, trying it one more time, if it messes up again I'll know it's the drive and not the OS.

Added an extra HDD on my Ubuntu machine, formatted (ext4), made new directory but even reading through the documentation numerous times still cannot figure out how to mount the new HDD. I edited in fstab but not sure I did it correctly, had to look up how to exit fstab so pretty sure my edit wasn't saved. :dunno:

Use GParted. Sorry I didn't answer in time.

Damn! I have a lot more DVDs than I thought........ The small box is almost done and it's around 40 DVDs worth........ I have a box that's more than twice it's size waiting to be done. Good thing I picked up a 1 TB drive.

You should compress them all with Handbrake 1st.

Yeah, Kubuntu.........

Besides, it might not have been the auto-mount that did it. Installed Ubuntu but on reboot it wouldn't boot up, tried Kubuntu and had the same problem..... Looks like the old hard drive in this machine might have decided it was time to join many old hard drives in hard drive heaven....... We'll see, trying it one more time, if it messes up again I'll know it's the drive and not the OS.
Since you have a new one, you can test that out.
I also recommend this distro to check and manage your drives while no OS is installed. Here is the latest free version:
Download Parted Magic - MajorGeeks

Yeah, Kubuntu.........

I also recommend this distro to check and manage your drives while no OS is installed. Here is the latest free version:
I use MacPup

Yeah, Kubuntu.........

I use MacPup
Interesting. Does it focus on hard drives, as well?

Yeah, Kubuntu.........

I use MacPup
It's an OS that runs on RAM, give me multiple options. I use it as a rescue disk primarily to try and pull all my files off of bad disks. I also have a built in BIOs hardware tester that tells me what the problem is, most mobo manufacturers have it on their setup disks.

Yeah, Kubuntu.........

I use MacPup
It's an OS that runs on RAM, give me multiple options. I use it as a rescue disk primarily to try and pull all my files off of bad disks. I also have a built in BIOs hardware tester that tells me what the problem is, most mobo manufacturers have it on their setup disks.
Back then I used ErdCommander for such stuff. It even allows to reset the User passwords on XP-7.

Added an extra HDD on my Ubuntu machine, formatted (ext4), made new directory but even reading through the documentation numerous times still cannot figure out how to mount the new HDD. I edited in fstab but not sure I did it correctly, had to look up how to exit fstab so pretty sure my edit wasn't saved. :dunno:

Use GParted. Sorry I didn't answer in time.

You should compress them all with Handbrake 1st.
Handbrake automatically compresses to h.265. No it's not the latest and greatest but this machine doesn't have the computing power to do hevc so it's better than none.

Forum List

Back