Addiction vs Disease, I call bullshit

Sympathy for what, the shunning?
Sympathy for their difficulty quitting. The shunning is a result of the smoke they create. They can still get their fix from chewing tobacco but they smoke anyway, despite the fact that they are affecting other people when they do. That's why people shun them and have little sympathy for them.

I bet you're one of those people that does the whole fake *cough* when walking by a smoker....just to let them know how you feel. That shit always cracks me up.

How is a few run-ins with cigarette smoke gonna kill ya??

Sympathy for their difficulty quitting. The shunning is a result of the smoke they create. They can still get their fix from chewing tobacco but they smoke anyway, despite the fact that they are affecting other people when they do. That's why people shun them and have little sympathy for them.

It was a joke. You know, the worse shunning from chewing tobacco and spiriting vile, brown, spoodge out of their mouths. Ha. Ha.

I bet you're one of those people that does the whole fake *cough* when walking by a smoker....just to let them know how you feel. That shit always cracks me up.

Can't be any worse than inhaling exhaust fumes from their cars. As a rabid pedestrian, I'm offended by their lack of concern. <---------mostly joke.

Fake cough? Are you kidding? I'm quite up front with people who smoke near me. I tell them to get away from me.

Last edited:
sympathy for what, the shunning?
sympathy for their difficulty quitting. The shunning is a result of the smoke they create. They can still get their fix from chewing tobacco but they smoke anyway, despite the fact that they are affecting other people when they do. That's why people shun them and have little sympathy for them.

it was a joke. You know, the worse shunning from chewing tobacco and spiriting vile, brown, spoodge out of their mouths. Ha. Ha.
lol!

they have drugs that block your cravings for such things as herion, you can also take Baclofin not sure on the spelling, it is a muscle relaxer and it can block most of the part of the brain that craves coccain.
And when you can be genetically pre disposed to become an alcoholic or addicted to other drugs I think it is a disease. And as for 12 step programs sometimes it is not enough to stop drug use, most alcoholics and drug addicts fall off the wagon on average seven times.
Do most leukemia patients "fall off the wagon 7 times on average" before they get their leukemia under control? What about AIDS patients? What about Parkinson's patients? I suppose maybe they could if they only followed a 12 step program.
their leukemia can come back several times just like with other cancers before they either are cured or die.
If you have never gone through addiction you should really not throw stones and if you don't know anything about the DISEASE than you should not pretend you do. Xoxoi already gave the definitation of disease if you don't want to accept it, than you are just a closed minded fool.
Where am I throwing stones?
I have been through an addiction -- crystal meth -- 20+ years ago.
And I'm currently addicted to nicotine, so I guess I'm speaking from a perspective that has more experience than either you or xoxoti.
Just because i am expressing a point of view that you disagree with with does not make me close minded, but go ahead and fling the insult of fool at me anyway.

Alcohol and drug addiction has been classified as a "disease" during my lifetime.
But is it really a "disease"?
The media tells us it is.
Most medical people tell us it is.
But just because they say so, does that really make it so?

If you have a disease like breast cancer, lymphoma, diabetes, or any other type of physical disease your only realistic options for cure or maintenance is medical treatment. You seek out a medical professionals service for that cure or controlled maintenance.
Addiction (drugs or alcohol) can be cured/maintained without any medical assistance whatsoever. A 12 step program can handle that for you.
Can anybody name a 12 step program that cures/maintains any other "disease" aside from addiction? Is there a 12 step program that cures/maintains AIDS, Parkinson's, Leukemia or any other disease (aside from addiction) without using medical assistance?

And what about smoking? Why isn't nicotine addiction classified as a disease? Why is alcohol or heroin addiction a disease but nicotine addiction isn't?

Addiction isn't a disease. We are being fed a shit sandwich and I refuse to eat it.

Addiction has PHYSIOLOGICAL causes.

If it were merely a question of right thinking or free will NOBODY would ever get addicted to ANYTHING.

You got a source to prove that?

Can't be any worse than inhaling exhaust fumes from their cars. As a rabid pedestrian, I'm offended by their lack of concern. <---------mostly joke.
It is kind of a joke...the pols have made us believe second hand smoke is more dangerous than air pollution from cars and factories.

It's basically a smoke and mirrors issue, pun intended.

It's easy to avoid smokers but it is impossible to avoid pollution from cars and factories.

Do most leukemia patients "fall off the wagon 7 times on average" before they get their leukemia under control? What about AIDS patients? What about Parkinson's patients? I suppose maybe they could if they only followed a 12 step program.
their leukemia can come back several times just like with other cancers before they either are cured or die.
If you have never gone through addiction you should really not throw stones and if you don't know anything about the DISEASE than you should not pretend you do. Xoxoi already gave the definitation of disease if you don't want to accept it, than you are just a closed minded fool.
Where am I throwing stones?
I have been through an addiction -- crystal meth -- 20+ years ago.
And I'm currently addicted to nicotine, so I guess I'm speaking from a perspective that has more experience than either you or xoxoti.
Just because i am expressing a point of view that you disagree with with does not make me close minded, but go ahead and fling the insult of fool at me anyway.
I was a coccain addict and I still struggle with it today, I also had to go through four months of drug and alcohol treatment when I was twenty two after I got my DUI. I am also alcoholic, so do not assume you know about my experiences. My kids father is also in recovery for alcohol and drugs living in Oxford house and I have many other friends who still use or once did. I also have a friend who is an chemical dependency councelor.
You act like it is some big conspiracy that they diagnose it has a disease because it is your point of view that it is not. xoxoti also gave you the defination of disease proving addiction is a disease but you still don't see it that way.

Forum List

Back