Addiction counselor charged with murder, DUI after driving miles with man lodged in w

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
The convertible hit Phillip Moreno so hard that it knocked him out of his shoes and lodged him in the windshield.

As he lay dying on the hood, police said, Sherri Lynn Wilkins kept going another two miles until other motorists swarmed her car at a traffic light and grabbed her keys.

Wilkins, who was charged Tuesday with murder and driving drunk, told police she struck the man after leaving work and panicked. Police said her blood alcohol level was more than double the legal limit.

Her arrest on a street corner between home and her job as a drug and alcohol counselor seemed to be a return to a dark past that Wilkins once celebrated leaving behind. The convict and recovering addict had recently gone back to school, gotten a job and was reuniting with her family, including a new grandchild.

"It's a really tragic situation for both parties," said her neighbor, Crystal Witherspoon. "I'm trying to understand it myself, because from what I knew of her, she was a kind-hearted person. She was trying very hard."

Tami Jimenez, a recovering alcoholic who worked with Wilkins, said the case serves as a bitter reminder for all addicts about the dangers of relapse.

"I'm headed for a meeting tonight

Read more: Addiction counselor charged with murder, DUI after driving miles with man lodged in windshield | Fox News

Should the charge be murder" Or vehicular manslaughter? Can you be so drunk you don't have the brains to stop and render aid? wtf?

She can be charged with murder, "a charge of murder under Section 188 upon facts exhibiting wantonness and a conscious disregard for life to support a finding of implied malice, or upon facts showing malice consistent with the holding of the California Supreme Court in People v. Watson, 30 Cal.3d 290."
CA Codes (pen:187-199)

As it is these are the charges against this person, "she is charged in case YA086025 with one felony count each of murder, gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated, DUI causing injury, driving with a .08 percent or higher blood alcohol causing injury, and leaving the scene of an accident."
Torrance Drug Counselor Sherri Lynn Wilkins charged with pedestrian’s murder

Should the charge be murder" Or vehicular manslaughter? Can you be so drunk you don't have the brains to stop and render aid? wtf?

I don't think she intended to kill the guy, so the charge shouldn't be murder. Manslaughter, certainly, and failing to stop.

The convertible hit Phillip Moreno so hard that it knocked him out of his shoes and lodged him in the windshield.

As he lay dying on the hood, police said, Sherri Lynn Wilkins kept going another two miles until other motorists swarmed her car at a traffic light and grabbed her keys.

Wilkins, who was charged Tuesday with murder and driving drunk, told police she struck the man after leaving work and panicked. Police said her blood alcohol level was more than double the legal limit.

Her arrest on a street corner between home and her job as a drug and alcohol counselor seemed to be a return to a dark past that Wilkins once celebrated leaving behind. The convict and recovering addict had recently gone back to school, gotten a job and was reuniting with her family, including a new grandchild.

"It's a really tragic situation for both parties," said her neighbor, Crystal Witherspoon. "I'm trying to understand it myself, because from what I knew of her, she was a kind-hearted person. She was trying very hard."

Tami Jimenez, a recovering alcoholic who worked with Wilkins, said the case serves as a bitter reminder for all addicts about the dangers of relapse.

"I'm headed for a meeting tonight

Read more: Addiction counselor charged with murder, DUI after driving miles with man lodged in windshield | Fox News

What's your point here? . . . . . . Just KIDDING!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

We just had one of our drug counselors who is connected to our courthouse drug court, get busted for poss meth/sale. It's kind of like betrayal of a trust.

I don't think she intended to kill the guy, so the charge shouldn't be murder. Manslaughter, certainly, and failing to stop.

The law is set forth in post above in my first post. The standard is different http://www.usmessageboard.com/6414919-post5.html

Yeah, I read that. I disagree though. If she had killed him on purpose I would agree with you.

The law is set forth in post above in my first post. The standard is different http://www.usmessageboard.com/6414919-post5.html

Yeah, I read that. I disagree though. If she had killed him on purpose I would agree with you.

Intentional killing is not the standard here, when a person, "knowing that his conduct endangers the life of another, nonetheless acts deliberately with conscious disregard for life malice may be implied" and therein lies the standard for charging with murder. The fact that the woman was a drug and alcohol counselor is key in these charges and could be the lynchpin argument.

Forum List

Back