Addicted

RetiredGySgt

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
North Carolina
I take a slew of pills for 3 different problems. Have been taking pills in increasing numbers since I was medically retired from the Corps in 1995.

It seems it finally happened. One of my pills has caused an addiction. I am not one hundred percent sure which though I have a good idea. I forgot to take my pills yesterday ( happens occasionally) and by late evening I was in serious distress and not from one of my conditions. Finally around 1 AM I took the pills, meaning now I can not take them this morning LOL, and the problems I was having went away.

Irritating to say the least. I do not like being absolutely dependent on medication. I need it, but at least it is my choice to take it.

Hope everything works out, dude. I hate the idea of having to take a pill cocktail someday. Commericals for perscription drugs bug the hell ou tof me. Sometimes I really do feel that if life were A Scanner Darkly then our pharmie companies would be Phillip dicks New Path clinics.

Your retired, its normal to take a variety of drugs as you get older.

I think like 70% of all retired folk are un-intentionally addicted to some form of drug. Ofcourse since you are now dependent on it, you will start to build tolerence to it, meaning you will have to take more and more to feel the same effects of taking one for the first time. You said it yourself that the dosage has increased since 95, how much may I ask? Percentage wise. You dont want the higher tolerence of stronger drugs to lead to an accidental overdose or even worse, an addiction to the strongest drugs which come from the street and eventually kill you.

If you really dont want to be addicted, you can slow your dosage to 3 pills a day, then every other day, then once a week and eventually nothing at all. Its all mental, anyone can break an addiction in a few months if they really wanted to. Drink alot of water, get your heart pumping and stay active. What you put into your body, shows on the outside and will eventually effect your mentality or behavior on a daily basis.

Your retired, its normal to take a variety of drugs as you get older.

I think like 70% of all retired folk are un-intentionally addicted to some form of drug. Ofcourse since you are now dependent on it, you will start to build tolerence to it, meaning you will have to take more and more to feel the same effects of taking one for the first time. You said it yourself that the dosage has increased since 95, how much may I ask? Percentage wise. You dont want the higher tolerence of stronger drugs to lead to an accidental overdose or even worse, an addiction to the strongest drugs which come from the street and eventually kill you.

If you really dont want to be addicted, you can slow your dosage to 3 pills a day, then every other day, then once a week and eventually nothing at all. Its all mental, anyone can break an addiction in a few months if they really wanted to. Drink alot of water, get your heart pumping and stay active. What you put into your body, shows on the outside and will eventually effect your mentality or behavior on a daily basis.

Please don't disseminate dangerous information. Addiction is NOT--repeat NOT all mental. Dependence on a chemical to maintain a healthy body and mind is a fact of life for many even IF they would like to mentally deny it.

I take a slew of pills for 3 different problems. Have been taking pills in increasing numbers since I was medically retired from the Corps in 1995.

It seems it finally happened. One of my pills has caused an addiction. I am not one hundred percent sure which though I have a good idea. I forgot to take my pills yesterday ( happens occasionally) and by late evening I was in serious distress and not from one of my conditions. Finally around 1 AM I took the pills, meaning now I can not take them this morning LOL, and the problems I was having went away.

Irritating to say the least. I do not like being absolutely dependent on medication. I need it, but at least it is my choice to take it.

My advice:

Get the names of your drugs and research them. This government web site might help:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginformation.html

If you identify a drug that you suspect to be addictive for you, consult your doctor or pharmacy for a suitable replacement drug that will not create an adverse reaction with the other drugs that you are taking. Good luck.

My advice:

Get the names of your drugs and research them. This government web site might help:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginformation.html

If you identify a drug that you suspect to be addictive for you, consult your doctor or pharmacy for a suitable replacement drug that will not create an adverse reaction with the other drugs that you are taking. Good luck.

I read the literature that comes with my meds, only 2 of the pills are potentially habit forming and so that narrows it way down. Both are for my stomach problems. I see the doctor on the 19th we will talk then.

I read the literature that comes with my meds, only 2 of the pills are potentially habit forming and so that narrows it way down. Both are for my stomach problems. I see the doctor on the 19th we will talk then.

People with seizure disorders take medication. It prevents them from having seizures. If they don't take it they are very likely to have another seizure. Do you think they are addicts?

People with seizure disorders take medication. It prevents them from having seizures. If they don't take it they are very likely to have another seizure. Do you think they are addicts?

No. I don’t think that a person taking anti-seizure medication is an addict. The person actually needs to drug to keep from having seizures. People take chemotherapy to fight cancer. Those people are not addicted to chemotherapy.

Any medication that is habit forming and that you get hooked on, no matter the reason is an addiction. It may be a necassaty and you may have to keep taking it but it still is an addiction.

You can not stop taking it without adverse physical complications. Such as I had last night. You are 'addicted" to it, your body now requires you take it or you suffer physical effects if you do not.

I take Concerta. I have previously been prescribed Strattera (which isn't a stimulant, and didn't do shit for the 3 months I was on it) and Wellbutrin (which made me psychotic) so my doctor suggested that I try my current medication.

If I run out of Concerta before I can have my prescription refilled and have to go a day or two, I get really tired and irritable.

The positive effect that Concerta has on my alertness, concentration and productivity is incredible, well worth being "addicted."

BTW I'm not interested in discussing whether or not ADD really exists or if its really a marketing tool conjured by big pharma.

You can not stop taking it without adverse physical complications. Such as I had last night. You are 'addicted" to it, your body now requires you take it or you suffer physical effects if you do not.

As the example of seizure meds illustrates, RetGunny, whatever the label, it must be taken. The dude that suggested withdrawal program would be guilty of malpractice, practicing med. without license, etc. 'Addiction' in my opinion carries a negative connotation. We are all 'addicted' to air, the same way a person with epilepsy is 'addicted' to dialatin or phenobarbitol. If the med you feel you are 'addicted' to, allows you a more complete life, stop worrying about it.

You may see this as a minor difference but addiction usually refers to the fact that you need more and more of the drug to get the same affect. You develop a tolerance. If you resumed taking your medication at the same dosage and feel ok again it basically means that the meds are working.

I take Concerta. I have previously been prescribed Strattera (which isn't a stimulant, and didn't do shit for the 3 months I was on it) and Wellbutrin (which made me psychotic) so my doctor suggested that I try my current medication.

If I run out of Concerta before I can have my prescription refilled and have to go a day or two, I get really tired and irritable.

The positive effect that Concerta has on my alertness, concentration and productivity is incredible, well worth being "addicted."

BTW I'm not interested in discussing whether or not ADD really exists or if its really a marketing tool conjured by big pharma.

I take two strong multi-vitamin pills each day.

^

I find it highly alarming that he has ADD, is hooked on prescription medications, and is probably the biggest gun enthusiast in the world. At the very least, don't piss my boy Snowman off. :D

Forum List

Back