Add Pakistan to the shortlist for an ass whoopin...

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=5047949&section=news

Pakistan Protests U.S. Troop Border Violation
Wed May 5, 2004 10:42 AM ET

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (Reuters) - Pakistan has protested to the United States against an incursion by U.S. troops into Pakistani territory to hunt suspected al Qaeda or Taliban militants, a Foreign Ministry official said Wednesday.
The incident, which took place May 2, came a day after the top U.S. commander in neighboring Afghanistan said foreign fighters, including from Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda, were still launching attacks from Pakistan's semi-autonomous tribal belt.

"We have protested to the U.S. authorities, both through the diplomatic and military channels," Pakistan Foreign Ministry spokesman Masood Khan told a news conference.

"The U.S. version is that this was a misunderstanding and that the incursion was inadvertent, and once they realized that they were on the Pakistani side of Pakistan-Afghan border they withdrew immediately," he added.

Pakistan requested the U.S. authorities conduct an inquiry and share the results with Islamabad, he said.

The U.S. troops searched shops and a gas station in the village of Alwara Mandi in North Waziristan, one of Pakistan's semi-autonomous tribal regions, during a night operation, said Pakistani Maj. Gen. Shaukat Sultan.

Some 60 U.S. troops drove into Alwara Mandi, which lies a few hundred yards from the frontier with Afghanistan and has a Pakistani forces picket close by, villagers told Reuters.

The U.S. troops were in Alwara Mandi for no longer than 25 minutes, Sultan said. Residents said they stayed longer.

Some 120 people were killed, including dozens of soldiers, in a battle between Pakistani forces and suspected al Qaeda fighters and their local allies in neighboring South Waziristan in March.

© Reuters 2004. All Rights Reserved.

Some 120 people were killed, including dozens of soldiers, in a battle between Pakistani forces and suspected al Qaeda fighters and their local allies in neighboring South Waziristan in March.

See, this is what I don't understand about Reuters and AP articles. They always add information at the bottom of the article that links weakly to the story. With this one, it seems like they added the body count to make light readers think us soldiers killed 120 pakistanis when they went over the border. I can't think of any other reason for them to choose that bit of trivia or word in such a way. They didn't even bother to separate it from the main body of the article with a title.

The Paki's probably knew about this well in advance, and have to say this crap in public to appease their countrymen. You don't inadvertently drive in and search a town.............

Originally posted by nbdysfu
See, this is what I don't understand about Reuters and AP articles. They always add information at the bottom of the article that links weakly to the story. With this one, it seems like they added the body count to make light readers think us soldiers killed 120 pakistanis when they went over the border. I can't think of any other reason for them to choose that bit of trivia or word in such a way. They didn't even bother to separate it from the main body of the article with a title.

Spin!:p:

I wouldn't go about putting pakistan on the shortlist yet. Their military and the general qouted in the article seem to be defending our position. I think its important for Musharraf to maintain the image of having control over the borders in order to prevent public opinion to slide to the favor of the militant islamists in his country, Jamaat [crzy mo fos].

Forum List

Back